SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 525 exc. When I pull the clutch in all the way the bike still has the slight hesitancy to keep moving. I have noticed as well that if you push the bike (while off) with the clutch pulled in it is grabbing slightly. Any adjustment suggestions? Thanks

P.S. It's new bike for me, no past knowledge of KTMs'

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
it's hard to pinpoint the cause of this problem because there are different solutions out there that may or may not work in your case. some people have fixed this problem by just switching to another type of oil, I got a local mecanic that swears by motorex oil and claims that it could fix the issue on some bikes.

in other cases the problem is being caused by warped plates, I experienced this myself. supermoto use puts a lot of stress on the whole clutch, the parts that are responsible for the clutch drag are the iron plates that are fitted between the actual clutch plates. on the exc you have a set of thick and thin iron plates. the thin ones tend to warp after some time of use, causing the clutch not to disengage fully when the clutchlever is pulled in. replacing these plates will fix the problem but you don't have any garantee that it won't happen again. some people solve this problem by boring out the clutch basket a tiny bit so they have a little extra room to replace the thin plates with thick plates, since these have the tendence to warp.

I replaced those plates once, then after about 5000 miles or so I encountered the same problem again. the funny thing was that sometimes the bike would want to move forward while in first gear with the clutch in and other times it wouldn't. I let it be since it didn't want to creep forward all the time. I did start to think this would cause wear on my clutchplates but when I finally took the clutch apart again when I was rebuilding the motor there weren't any abnormal signes of wear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clutch

Just changed it to Motorex so I guess it's not that. However I don't remember it doing this before I changed it so it maybe after all.

Based on your helpful responce I will leave this issue alone and ride it as is. Not a big issue now.
Thanks for your detailed responce.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Both of my 450's drag clutch. Its worse when its cold.

Its normal for a little drag. But one of my 450's is now dragging so bad I cant even stop in 1st gear without being pushed forward. I opened it up and the plates are warped. Installing new ones this week.

Try bleeding the clutch first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts