SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
510smr clutch master issue - please help!!!!

i have an 06 sm510r. today i went to move it and the clutch lever felt oily. so i pulled back the cover and the plunger looked oily. i opened the reservoir cover and it is over-full (motor cold).

so i cleaned up the clutch lever and clutch master and took it for a ride around the block. all was good until i noticed mineral oil on my pants.

i don't get it. i have a stiff lever, and mineral oil leaking? any ideas?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes,

Your clutch plates are wearing, and somehow the clutch piston doesn't go out so much anymore. This results in more oil in your reservoir. And at one point it comes out and "leaks"

My dealer told me this, i also had the same problem. but driving around with this more then 10.000km's.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,

Your clutch plates are wearing, and somehow the clutch piston doesn't go out so much anymore. This results in more oil in your reservoir. And at one point it comes out and "leaks"

My dealer told me this, i also had the same problem. but driving around with this more then 10.000km's.

so flushing the system (which was my plan for the weekend) is probably gonna help you think? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you have a bed bath and beyond in your area go in and grab a marinade injector. Get some clear hose to fit over the nipple and you now have a 6 dollar clutch bleeding syringe. Fill from the bottom up and use magura blood, reg mineral oil is terrible, I found out the hard way. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a bed bath and beyond in your area go in and grab a marinade injector. Get some clear hose to fit over the nipple and you now have a 6 dollar clutch bleeding syringe. Fill from the bottom up and use magura blood, reg mineral oil is terrible, I found out the hard way. Good luck :thumbup:
that's for the advice. i think i'll do the marinade injector. i've been looking at a way to do a bottom-up feed.

next stop, figure out where magura blood can be purchased? (don't worry, i can use google and a search function).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I hope your master didn't spring a leak. There were some folks that had that happen to them, then a rebuild kit would be your answer. but yeah the Magura Blood is the best fluid for that system. Try Flea bay.

·
Registered
656 Posts
so flushing the system (which was my plan for the weekend) is probably gonna help you think? thanks for the help.
Assuming that it's the plates wearing and so it's pushing back more of the slave fluid then yes flushing and filling to the recomended level will clean up the overflow for a while until the plates wear some more.

If it continues leaking right away then it's because you've got a worn seal in the master where the piston comes through to the outside world. or you've got a leaky reservoir top seal.

And yes even if the piston seal is leaking a little like this it'll still work normally until the reservoir level drops enough for the piston to swallow and pump some air. Then things will get spongy in a hurry.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks again everyone.

when i was at my local bmw dealer, i noticed some oil coming out of the left master screw hole. i pushed some fluid out of the clutch and it feels like new.

i'm gonna bleed it off some more and try to figure it's leaking from the plunger. i've only had one other bike with a hydraulic master, and that was my ducati. it was pretty flawless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts