Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what my mechanic has performed but bike does not start:

"At this point here is what I have done
Motorcycle will not start or even try
Between tests I would check to see if I made a change to the issue

Checked spark - strong and blue

Checked for fuel for water/bad fuel in the carburetor - Had clean healthy fuel, no sign of water

Checked for loose clamps and or vacuum leaks - None found

Perform leak down test - 7% loss

Removed flywheel to check for a sheered woodruff key - No signs of damage

Check resistance of pickup coil

Remove carburetor and inspect and clean - no problem found

Check valve clearances - both exhaust valves out of spec, but only by a couple of tenths, not enough to hold a valve open. Also inspected the decompression actuator, seems fine and moves freely while still returning to activate the decompression. I did change the shims on the exhaust valves since I was already there.

If anyone has seen something like this, I would greatly appreciate any advice available
Calling a priest to perform an Exorcism has been considered."

Any insight would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
What about timing? You've checked that the valves are all within spec, but did you check if the actual timing is right? If it's gone out, valves could be opening and letting out all the combustible gasses before they even get a chance to ignite.... Sloppy timing chain? Incorrectly set in the first place?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks wing_nut_101 I'll run it by my mechanic.
Cheers!
On sleeping on it for a few days, I've come up with a few other ideas.

if the mechanic hasn't checked the timing yet, make sure he tries this first.

See if the thing will run on start ya bastard. Nulon makes it. It's a spray you just spray into the opening of the carb, if it runs on that, its definitely a fueling issue. Try brand new jets. If it's using the original jets, the jets are probably so flogged out that they are toast, and putting in wayyy too much fuel. A new set of jets is less than 20 bucks, I'd have thrown them in when you redid the carb. It's cheap peace of mind.

See if your spark timing is out. It won't make a bang if the spark is firing when the piston is at bottom dead centre.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wing_nut_101 He's got it on the stand now - should know in a couple days - I'll keep ya posted! Thanks for checking!
Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wing_nut_101 got the bike back. Runs like a champ. Unfortunately clipped the neigbor"s dog 1/2 a block from home now clutch is out. This is 2nd time little sh*t came after me. First time i revved and he ran like a little bitch. This time owners were out to get mail and came after me. Had a leash on but was free. I slowed downed but not enough for that bastard to attach to my leg. Felt like I jumped a log! I refilled clutch with magura but clutch play is still free - any suggestions?

Mechanic performed following:
Check spark plug
fuel in carbuerator
Perform leak down test - 4% loss good
Valve clearances checked - only one exhaust out of spec
shim changed to increase clearance
decompression function inspected - ok
remove flywheel to inspect woodruff key - ok
Found wire issues in main harness - hired professional harness builder to help with repair (split main harness and repair several damaged wires at rear of fuel tank).

That's da skinny!

Stay well mate!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts