SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience with the Marzocchi Shiver 45mm forks for SM,
I beleive they are used on alot of bikes including husky's, aprilias and a couple jap bikes.

could someone help me out by giving me some advice on getting these set up with the current stock springs?
I will look at revalving/springing later on but for now I just want to get them running OK for the time being.

these forks have alot of adjustment for comp/rebound dampening.

or if nobody is a guru with these exact forks, could someone give me some basic tips of what you'd generally do to get a fork set up from MX/enduro to SM (tarmac).

for example: stiffen up the spring to _____ kg/mm spring, increase/decrease the rebound, increase/decrease the compression. etc etc

These forks are being used on my 6speed CR250SM project
bike weighs 115kg, and Im a 85kg (with gear on) novice SM rider.
bike is running slicks and some pretty strong brakes.

thanks,
Jeram

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank, But I forgot to mention, Im in Australia :)

so our suspension will be different to yours, because were upside down :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from what Iv read elsewhere, I need to

"at both ends dial-in almost all the rebound damping and take out most of the compression damping."

correct?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but logic would suggest the opposite,

increase the compression dampening to prevent diving under braking?

·
Registered
534 Posts
but logic would suggest the opposite,

increase the compression dampening to prevent diving under braking?
You should test both to get an idea on how the setting effects the bikes handling. Go ride a section of road with your current settings, then re-ride it with the fork compression set full soft. Finally, do it again with it set full hard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats a good idea, Ill take her for a spin with the stock set up, just with some 15W oil in it.

from what Iv gathered here and elsewhere it seems that I do need to increase my comp dampening to the max and rebound increased almost as much.

then if I want to go even further I can get a shim made to sit under my spring to act as a preloader.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Check a husky manual and get a baseline to start with. www.husqvarnaoutlet.com Im guessing these are the forks you got from me, I would change out the springs to stock length. If you run them as-is with the cr250 shock, it will not perform correctly since the forks were set up for flat tracking..

Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think those shocks come with compression damping as stock. You need to buy the compression damping adjusters separately.

Also as far I remember, the correct weight of oil to be used in those forks is SAE 7.5 (SAE 5 for colder climes) and not 15?

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
email me - I do those all the time. they are usually not assembled properly at the factory ... I will give you the run down.

the stock oil is very bad and does more damage then good. the comp pistons are usually floating around and the stock valving is terrible.

I would be happy to offer advice.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
^take him up on this...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts