SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a 2020 KTM EXC-F 500... but after testing its little brother, the 450, I'm hooked on that one.

How can this be? There's no replacement for displacement... right!?

Wrong! The 450 pulls harder and it revs faster because it has less inertia inside the motor due to having a smaller capacity. It sounds different too. Angrier.

Both bikes ar dealer test bikes with all emissions equipment removed so the bikes have full power.

Now I understand why 95% av all Supermotos in my country are 450s.

450 it is.

Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
343 Posts
500 props has more torque but revs slower - trust your gut feeling the 500 might be a bit lazier not sure though haven't ridden them
I have had a 450 exc 2005 and a 525 2004 - i am not sure if this is a fair comparison as engine condition was unknown on both BUT the 450 pulled harder and rev'd faster...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Plain and simple; 450 for the track, 500 for the street. The 450 won't last long because it wasn't designed for longevity.

Engine oil every 10 hours, valve check every 30 hours, 50 hours on a piston (minor engine service), 100 hours for a crank rebuild, valve train replacement, full bearing replacement (major engine service).. haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts