SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There comes a time when every motorcycle rider hears that statement/question;
“Motorcycles are so dangerous. Why do you want to risk…”

It will go on to say something about risking your life, your health, of hearing crazy stories about their third uncle that got caught in an ice storm and nearly froze to death on the way home and never rode again. You know that old blah blah blah...

I have now found something to grab those snot nosed, sniveling, yellow backed, politically (in)-correct, mother should have drown them at birth, I am sorry to admit that I am a man, flea bitten, social rag wavers by the proverbial short hair and say see! That is why I ride! Go and learn you brainless follower of social insecurities!

Ok, enough of the high-minded fairy speech.

Holy Shiznit Batman! That road rocks! Souperfly! I bow to you and your powers of persuasion. I am so glad I let myself be talked into the Twisted Sisters ride with you, Silverbullet and PooTeeTat. 335, 336, and 337 are a wakeful dream. The surfaces are well maintained, smooth and after a short while, I never looked back down but to watch it go by.

This is the second time we have ridden together, and the group is starting to come together as a fairly tight bunch of squirlbait riders. Souperfly is a natural leader of the pack, a good head that thinks about the reaction times of the riders behind him and doesn’t lead them into dangerous situations, but still lets us eat up miles at a pace we are all comfortable with. He kept the riders with the thirsty bikes in gas stops and made sure we all caught up at the intersections. He gave us quick, concise rider need-to-know briefings each time we stopped and even found us some damn fine BBQ at the Pig Pen. We ripped off the entire ride, all 256 miles in just under 6.5 hours and we still had time to stop and do the talking/bragging/yeah right buddy, I had that lead, butthead, fun stuff that makes a ride so much more fun for me. I will let you guys figure out the average speed we traveled to do that, and remember, 4 gas stops, 1 lunch, and a souvenir shop. (I had to get the t-shirt!) With Soup leading most of the day from one point to the next, PooTeeTat bringing up the rear with a now known to be finicky camera, 4 Sumos, 1 Fat, prepared to Molest the Three Sisters.

Enough of the set up! Get to the meat and taters! (A friend was reading over my shoulder.) Let me start by saying, there are no chicken strips on any of the bikes now, and one or two were showing blisters on the edges of the fronts! Yeah, that was the kid’s tires, Silver still has the rolled up newspaper from the last ride, and while he didn’t hit me too hard with it this time, I still have to give him his due. That man got skills… or is it no brains? Wait, he is Army… it’s no brains!

The first trip up 337 is my first remembrance of any real competition between us, Soup had waved the children past him and off we went, Silver and I went right into the thick of it. While I do not recommend running any road blind, at least not at the speeds we seemed to attain compared to our relative skill levels, this is a road you can push a bit. It is fairly well marked, and was reasonably clear all the way through the loop, but this section gave me pause in the first left. You healed your bike over and had that smooth line running at give or take 45 MPH and were slowly feeding the throttle to it for the apex, and then the thing tightened up. That will catch you short. Dropping throttle and taping the brakes to scuff off a bit will unsettle even the best of set ups, and mine is far from that. Once the first brown factor was out of the way, the games began. Forget the back brakes, you don’t need them. Well, maybe on the long down hills or in town, save some pad and heat in the front, but toe the pegs and prepare to be amazed.
The entire ride was a fight for me, I wanted to look around, to stop and get a picture, something to prove that I had seen exactly this, just so I could prove what I say, and to be able to show other riders from all over the country what they are missing. From deep millennia old gorges man has cut, blasted and shaped Mother Nature into something that is close to civilized. Granite walled passes, guardrails in some places that keep the simple slip or missed apex from being lethal with a several hundred foot fall, river and creek crossings that were blessedly dry this time of year. Long waving grasses in places and perfectly manicured lawns of the dude ranches. Exotic animal farms, huge and very old ranches that might have been fenced before they named Texas, then back up the twisting, turning, never the same twice canyon roads to ride out on the back bone of the mountain. The drop offs hundreds of feet to the bottom on both sides. Drops so steep that if you were to fall, you might make a dent in the ceiling of hell itself. The towns were fun as well, the people were colorful, curious, even the black leather clad biker was friendly enough to come over and see what the hell those singles were about. I was told of it later, sorry I missed it, but in one of the towns we passed through, there was a young man holding a sign that read something like “I bet you can’t hit me with a quarter!” I wonder now how much money he could make in a day, and I bet that he would be the next Bill Gates. Raise one for the ingenuity of it anyway.
Every time we stopped, rode passed, or passed by towns or people, it was reasonably friendly. This seemed to be where PooTeeTat came into his own. People, by far, when he spoke, everyone listened. When one cruiser rider’s lady asked if these bikes were fast, he simply stated that sport bikes slow us down in the twisties. The reaction was instantaneous, respect for the animals we rode. There were two notables I will admit, and both if I remember correctly were the oblivious cager, but for the most part, we kept them chugging along at speeds well above posted, all of us amazed at the incredible and idyllic thing that man has done to give other people access to this beautiful back country. Please, please, and let me say it again, next spring, please come out, over, down to South Texas. Hell, post up and let me know when. I will be happy to show up and ride that once more. Maybe this time I will slow down enough to take a few more pictures. Naa… Probably not…

Souperfly, Chief cook and bottle washer.
PooTeeTat, Speaker for the daft.
SilverBullet, Master dog trainer.
Leeland, Old dog.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Nice Leeland. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooops! I miss-spoke.

The feeding pit we stoped in was not the Pig Pen, it was the Hog Pen. I even have a picture... It is a bit over exposed, but I will try to clean it up a bit and see what I can do with it before I post it.

News flash! I finaly broke down and baught a camcorder. No one is safe now.... :bannana:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You bet !!

I bet I could get all the nutters up for another ride through the sisters with relitive ease! Now I still want to do a Gap ride, but I think we are looking at the June-July range on that one, you mentioned another gap or break in work arround then? Either way, a spring ride just might be the perfect time to shake out Sir Kreuger before the Gap ride. I bet you would be pleasantly suprised at the costs of a long week end down south. If you still have my number, give me a call and I will atempt to play travel agent for you.

:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts