SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Will long time reader, short time user, very very very short time owner. I think i may have just payed for the 33rd drz400sm built in Canada in 08.

I could be reading my bill of sale wrong, either way I am hyped to own one. I pick it up Saturday and will be posting some pics after some de-decaling.

Just figured I would let who ever cares know this and introduce my self, I come from the lovely world of car modding and already have a few small parts sitting on my desk... :eek: HA I have had most of them since before I had even seen the bike.

This is my first street bike, been outta the game for a couple years (4 years after a medium snowmobile crash... not out that long after all I am only 21) I'm moving up from the world of dr's out of the mud and on to the pavement.

First question Whats break in period like on these bikes? I have been told by my dealer 1 tank of fuel, and to make use of all the rpm range but not to cruise up in the higher end for lengthy periods of time. I am really wanting to break it in as per spec, its the first NEW vehicle I have ever owned thats for street use. I figure one tank of premium and some light city duty should do, feel free to correct me if I am wrong :thumbup:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cool now you know what number to put on it, and hey you should bring it out to Gimli for track days, would be nice to see more tards out there. :thumbup: When you pick up your bike make sure the dealer gives you the little manual for it. It has all the breakin info in there. If not I'm sure I could find mine and get you the info if no one else has already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh you better believe i'm bringing it out to gimli. Once i get all my gear i'll swing out one weekend just for kicks.

I've seen a black 400sm toolin around with the alliance ssr helmet im looking at and a strikingly similar suit. Makes me wonder if i should bother painting my bike flat black to match all my gear or not.

What are you driving Whoop?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Here is the break in info that is recommended by Suzuki:

Max engine speed - initial 800 km less than half throttle
- up to 1600 km less than three quarter throttle

Vary the engine speed, do not run at a constant speed, do not apply excessive load on the engine, and avoid constant low speed. Allow sufficient time time for oil to circulate before applying load or revving the engine. Observe the critical 1000 km service outlined in owners manual.

This is just an abbreviated version of what is in the SM owners manual.

BY the way I have an 06 DRZ SM, here's a shot from the last Gimli track day. And here are the remaining track day dates, July 19-20, August 9-10, September 6-7. Hope to see you out there.

P.S. go with the flat black! I was going to do it, then I painted my road bike matte olive green and am probably going to do my SM the same green.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well a #33 plate did not work out. numbers end in 66 to represent my vw. ahh well.

Either way as leaving the dealers lot, 3/4 ish throttle front wheel off the ground i thought two things to my self.

1 what the hell kind of drugs were they doing when they decided to legalize a bike like such

2 Buying one was a BRILLIANT idea of mine.

I've put on 100kms since 10am and its all been city/parking lot stuff.

Pics below, lots of decals removed (factory and dealer) reflectors gone, mirrors gone, spark arrester gone, tool bag gone. just the standard stuff.

I like the white, but i think with my all black gear, flat black would be amazing. also the night stunts at say the river docks may require a black bike.. who knows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts