SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this web site and brand new to the sport. I'm just getting ready to buy a set of wheels for my ktm exc 450 to get my feet wet. I just want to get as many peoples opinions as possible. I've asked a few people but not enough to be convinced either way.

Main Question: How important is using a 320mm front rotor? (I'll be keeping the stock caliper) I have 2 options on wheel sets to buy. One is a set of warp9's with the 320mm rotor; the other is a slighlty better brand with a standard dirt size front rotor.

I'm basically limiting myself to one of these two sets. Which should I go for?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
184 Posts
Go for the better brakes. Nothing sucks like not being able to stop. You would probably buy the bigger rotor later anyhow.

David

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Go for the better brakes. Nothing sucks like not being able to stop. You would probably buy the bigger rotor later anyhow.

David
This for sure. Just buy the necessary parts now and get the full potential out of your SM machine from the start.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just to play devils advocate here, if your bike has the 270mm roto4, it a really capable piece. You could get the better rims, save up a bit, sell one or both of the stock rotors and get a really nice piece in the for sale here or on ebay, CL, etc. I just saw a 310 Berringer selll for like 100 bucks on ebay. I got my bike the next day and am still kicking myself.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
the 320 makes a huge difference in braking performance. I wouldn't ride or do track/race days without it. You can get away with the stock size rotor, but it will suck.

Warp 9 makes great stuff, not top of the line, but very good. You will be happy.

On every sumo I ever had I used stock caliper, stock master, 320mm rotor, steel braided lines, good quality pads....braked just as good if not better than some super expensive setups I've ridden on other friends bikes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have ridden a ktm, which has good dirt brakes, that still had the stock rotor and it was a death trap on the road. It went away very quick and I seroudsly thought I was going to die more than once as I was riding like I ride my 62 with 310 rotor and beringer caliper. It is not even close comparison. You will at some point come into a corner too fast and find your brakes have gone away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have ridden a ktm, which has good dirt brakes, that still had the stock rotor and it was a death trap on the road. It went away very quick and I seroudsly thought I was going to die more than once as I was riding like I ride my 62 with 310 rotor and beringer caliper. It is not even close comparison. You will at some point come into a corner too fast and find your brakes have gone away.
Dirtrulz - thats a pretty scary thought!!!! I'm assuming thats form the small rotor overheating? or is the stock caliper to blame as well? No warning either?

I'll be pulling the trigger tomorrow and will let everyone know which way I go. I'm thinking best of both worlds…better rims then buy a (budget) aftermarket oversize rotor and relocation bracket. :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Was considering the same thoughts you had last week, figured I would just pull the trigger and order the 320. Went with EBC kit with bracket that can be found for about $200, but ended up getting a NIB set on ebay for $115! :bannana:
Not top end setup, but will be just fine for what i need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok everyone, thanks for your thoughts. I pulled the trigger this morning and bought the rad mfg wheels. They even pulled the standard size front rotor off for me and discounted its cost out of the price. Awesome experience dealing with RAD! TWO THUMBS UP FOR THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!

Now I just need to buy an oversize front rotor.

NateZ- I'm actually leaning towards one of those ebc kits. If you don't mind me asking, what did u get for $115? I like that price tag! New? Relocation bracket included? seller?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got the oversized 320mm package by EBC, just includes the new rotor and relocation bracket. The guys ebay name is psconsignment94561, doesn't regularly sell them and I dont think he has anymore unfortunately, i think i just got lucky.

Go to this link:

http://www.motostrano.com/ebcsuovdico.html
Best price I was able to find, and this is where i was going to buy from until i happend to stumble upon that one on ebay.

I have a Husky TC 450 by the way, but all the bikes seemed to be about the same price or cheaper.

Nate

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wouldnt say tere is no warning but when you pass a line of cars on the outside of a corner and have to pull back in quick because a pickup is comeing and come into a left hand corner a little hot, pull on the brake lever a hard as you can and dont slow down much, by the way there is a guardrail about a foot off the white line that is coming up very fast. I leaned it way over and just hoped there was no sand on the road. Probably the most worried I have ever been on a motorcycle, I was shaking a little. I got maybe two good stops out of the front brake and then had next to none for a while until everything cools down.

Dirtrulz - thats a pretty scary thought!!!! I'm assuming thats form the small rotor overheating? or is the stock caliper to blame as well? No warning either?

I'll be pulling the trigger tomorrow and will let everyone know which way I go. I'm thinking best of both worlds…better rims then buy a (budget) aftermarket oversize rotor and relocation bracket. :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldnt say tere is no warning but when you pass a line of cars on the outside of a corner and have to pull back in quick because a pickup is comeing and come into a left hand corner a little hot, pull on the brake lever a hard as you can and dont slow down much, by the way there is a guardrail about a foot off the white line that is coming up very fast. I leaned it way over and just hoped there was no sand on the road. Probably the most worried I have ever been on a motorcycle, I was shaking a little. I got maybe two good stops out of the front brake and then had next to none for a while until everything cools down.
When was the last time you changed your fluid?Sounds like that was more of the cause than the rotor diameter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think Warp 9 will sell just the rotor and re-locator, maybe $100?. Thing is the rotor only fits KTM wheels from what I gather, of course the re-locator is more bike specific.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Naw, it wasnt fluid, lever feel was fine, it was just a twisty road and I never should have passed where I did knowing the brakes were not up to par. If the bigger rotor wasnt usefull they wouldnt use them. When we stopped aobut mile later the disk was blue and sizzled when i wetted a finger and touched it. Th mall rotors just dont cool as fast.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There's a 320 rotor for a drz for sale here locally for $50. Check Houston craigslist. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I realize this thread is a month old, but just wanted to give some feedback as i'm almost in the exact same situation...

I'm a brand new rider, got my license 4 weeks ago. Bought a 2008 husaberg fe450 which came with a un-used, never had a tire mounted, set of ktm supermoto wheels.

this was to be my daily, 7 km only, commute weapon (and ohhhh is it ever!!!)

Anyways, no rotors on the sm wheels, I wanted it to be easy to swap back and forth, and it was hard enough to convince the accountant to get the bike/gear/etc... I went w/ the standard dirt rotor up front, so no bracket relocation/etc...

This rotor is perfectly fine for riding back/forth work on the street, i've had no issues what so ever and i've been practicing emergency stops as well.

However, i've also spent several nights @ the local track and here I have noticed the need for a bigger front... After getting warmed up, major brake fade on the back straight when coming down from high speed.

I'm looking to step up to the bigger rotor, but mostly for the track. IMO unless you're riding very aggressive and anticipate multiple back to back high speed extended braking sessions, the dirt rotor is plenty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts