SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i work at a KTM dealer ship. we have a set of new (never been used) supermoto slicks from an 05 525 SMR laying around at our shop. being that they are from an 05 are they garbage or would they be ok to run on the street for a bit?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would say yes- as long as it were for commuting and not dicking around. Old rubber hardens as chemical dries or leaches, causing the chemical reaction for grip not to happen as the tire warms. Look out for any dry rot- see it and junk 'em.

And so some Einstein doesn't jam me for not saying it- not in any water whatsoever!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say yes- as long as it were for commuting and not dicking around. Old rubber hardens as chemical dries or leaches, causing the chemical reaction for grip not to happen as the tire warms. Look out for any dry rot- see it and junk 'em.

And so some Einstein doesn't jam me for not saying it- not in any water whatsoever!
well i like to take corners rather aggressively so if i shouldn't take a chance then i won't. this bike isn't for commuting.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Rock em.

I'm running half worn take off slicks on my XR-R as we speak. They are

also three years old. I've got 5 pair from racing my SV (had 10 pair).

Even doing a track day this coming weekend.

My slicks manufactured in 05 still had traction at this point (and I don't take it easy).

:D

:bike:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
uh... Mango.....

TURN RIGHT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE! That's not a nascar! :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
They will probably still be as sticky as most road tyres or better but make sure you warm them first as they are quite a hard compound if I remember right although you may have a different tyres fitted in the US, you could cut them to help them heat a bit quicker

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
uh... Mango.....
TURN RIGHT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE! That's not a nascar! :lol:

We have more left turns than right turns here.

:D

:laughingr

·
Registered
681 Posts
i see no problem with it. i had the stock slicks on my 06 450smr for the first 800 miles or so. and dont believe what everyone tells you about riding on slicks in the wet/rain. i did it several times and they NEVER slid or slipped or anything weird. slicks actually have more traction in the wet up until the point that they hydroplane, so unless its really deep water running across the road i would ride them like regular tires.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Toaster- I do not care who you are- slicks in the rain and aggresive riding is just plain stupid. It is like wearing a helmet that has been crashed- will it work? It is worth finding out?

Motorcycles are dangerous enough- why make it worse for yourself?

Not to mention- get into an injury accident, let a savvy cop notice you are on non DOT tires, or when he missed it- a savvy insurance lawyer- and you may get no coverage for your injury or at least a ticket from the cops.

·
Registered
681 Posts
i never said anything about aggressive riding in the rain with the slicks. im not one of them stupids. but one thing i DO know is that every time i rode in the rain with the slicks i did not have any traction issues. they were actually harder to break loose than regular tires. i TRIED to get them to break loose in a straight line and they wouldnt.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i never said anything about aggressive riding in the rain with the slicks. im not one of them stupids. but one thing i DO know is that every time i rode in the rain with the slicks i did not have any traction issues. they were actually harder to break loose than regular tires. i TRIED to get them to break loose in a straight line and they wouldnt.
you need more power. :lol:

really though, slicks work ok on wet pavement. they do not work on standing water.
this is because both slicks and treaded tires work the same on wet pavement. by contact.
treads are ment to move water, out of the way... so the tire can touch the wet pavement.

however, with the extremely high chance of finding some standing water that doesnt look like it is... i wouldnt run in the rain by choice.

that said, ive done in with cars for years. just like i run DOT race tires (takeoffs) on my bike on the street.. the 'treads' on my bike are not exactly effective at pumping water.. they're barely there when new, and nonexistent on the edges.

however, id never advise someone else to do the stupid things i do unless they're aware of the choice they make, and are willing to take the "i told you so" repercussion of others IF something happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts