SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do the supermoto thing. I have a 06 yz250 that I have just paid off. Is is worth the money to convert a 2 stroke to sm, or should I trade for for a 4 stroke and conver that? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
8,635 Posts
I had a 426....sold it but kept the spare wheels and tossed them on my YZ250. I feel just as fast if not faster with the lighter weight. I quickly found that the gearing is critical when trying to keep up with the 4 strokes torque coming out of turns.

· Registered
122 Posts
do it

Do it. You'll love it. i rode my 2001 YZ for my first year and I'm building a CR500AFC now. There are fun and compete well. You can take the wheels off and use them on another bike later too.

cheers,
Brian

· Registered
319 Posts
I was wondering about buying up a 2-stroke as well. I'm currently racing a 525 ktm but was thinking about picking up an RM for dirt and maybe doing a full SM or just running it in a sportsman class. I love 2-strokes but don't see many competing and kinda like the lighter weight...think a 125 is too small(i wouldn't be trying to be super competitive with it)? good luck with the YZ build!

· Registered
4 Posts
I had a 426....sold it but kept the spare wheels and tossed them on my YZ250. I feel just as fast if not faster with the lighter weight. I quickly found that the gearing is critical when trying to keep up with the 4 strokes torque coming out of turns.
what kind of gearing did you run? I'm setting up a 250sx right now and about to get a new rear sprocket, I was thinking a 48, but would like to hear what your setup was.

· Registered
8,635 Posts
Gearing depends on your riding style and the tracks you run.

When I started testing in front of my house I tried a 44 and thought it needed more top speed so I went to a 40 and sold the 426 with the 44. When I went to Ocala Fla and raced it was bogged down and the 4 strokes would pull me coming out of turns. I dropped 1 tooth on the front and it made a huge difference. Dropping 1 in the front gave me about the same ratio as the 44 was.

· Registered
516 Posts
2 Stroke is great for Track Days, Racing, and general hooliganism. Not great for long trips, but the daily rides to work greatly outweigh the lack of touring trips.

· Registered
516 Posts
The big diff for me was gas. Stations carry regular. Also, I can only plate something street legal from the factory. If it was me and just for hooliganism, I would tard a cr500 2-stroke. I love the 2-stroke power

I run 89 octane and a splash of HP2. I keep a small 8oz. bottle in the tail bag that treats 4 gallons.

· Registered
113 Posts

Gawd you look fat. :lol:

I'm up to 240, looking for supermoto protective gear, what do you wear? I need something before I hit the kart tracks this fall.

I am a long time 2stroke fan, even raced one and medalled in an ISDE a while back, but for motarding, sure seems like four stroke way to go.... I only ride 250 2t off road, but my new motard is a 450 Husky SMR

· Registered
8,635 Posts
:boxing:

Its like that picture was squeezed down when they developed it. I wear a size 8 boot and that picture makes my foot look huge!

38 or 40 No Fear pants that are big and I have to keep pulling them up (suspenders?) and a XL or XXL Textile street jacket.

I think its my lack of good pavement protection that keeps me restrained on the pavement.

· Registered
113 Posts
:boxing:

Its like that picture was squeezed down when they developed it. I wear a size 8 boot and that picture makes my foot look huge!

38 or 40 No Fear pants that are big and I have to keep pulling them up (suspenders?) and a XL or XXL Textile street jacket.

I think its my lack of good pavement protection that keeps me restrained on the pavement.

hahaha, glad you took that well. I grew up back there, went to school in Atlanta, worked outta Hickory, NC for 4 years after college.

Figure I can just wear my offroad gear, size 40 waist, but I sure would like something better than my Acerbis Zoom and elbow guards.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.