SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do the supermoto thing. I have a 06 yz250 that I have just paid off. Is is worth the money to convert a 2 stroke to sm, or should I trade for for a 4 stroke and conver that? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The big diff for me was gas. Stations carry regular. Also, I can only plate something street legal from the factory. If it was me and just for hooliganism, I would tard a cr500 2-stroke. I love the 2-stroke power

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
I had a 426....sold it but kept the spare wheels and tossed them on my YZ250. I feel just as fast if not faster with the lighter weight. I quickly found that the gearing is critical when trying to keep up with the 4 strokes torque coming out of turns.

·
Registered
122 Posts
do it

Do it. You'll love it. i rode my 2001 YZ for my first year and I'm building a CR500AFC now. There are fun and compete well. You can take the wheels off and use them on another bike later too.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice guys, hopefully be hitting up the New Castle track soon for some practice days, then maybe trying to run in the New Castle series or the Land of Lincoln series

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was wondering about buying up a 2-stroke as well. I'm currently racing a 525 ktm but was thinking about picking up an RM for dirt and maybe doing a full SM or just running it in a sportsman class. I love 2-strokes but don't see many competing and kinda like the lighter weight...think a 125 is too small(i wouldn't be trying to be super competitive with it)? good luck with the YZ build!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 426....sold it but kept the spare wheels and tossed them on my YZ250. I feel just as fast if not faster with the lighter weight. I quickly found that the gearing is critical when trying to keep up with the 4 strokes torque coming out of turns.
what kind of gearing did you run? I'm setting up a 250sx right now and about to get a new rear sprocket, I was thinking a 48, but would like to hear what your setup was.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Gearing depends on your riding style and the tracks you run.

When I started testing in front of my house I tried a 44 and thought it needed more top speed so I went to a 40 and sold the 426 with the 44. When I went to Ocala Fla and raced it was bogged down and the 4 strokes would pull me coming out of turns. I dropped 1 tooth on the front and it made a huge difference. Dropping 1 in the front gave me about the same ratio as the 44 was.

·
Registered
516 Posts
2 Stroke is great for Track Days, Racing, and general hooliganism. Not great for long trips, but the daily rides to work greatly outweigh the lack of touring trips.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The big diff for me was gas. Stations carry regular. Also, I can only plate something street legal from the factory. If it was me and just for hooliganism, I would tard a cr500 2-stroke. I love the 2-stroke power

I run 89 octane and a splash of HP2. I keep a small 8oz. bottle in the tail bag that treats 4 gallons.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Gawd you look fat. :lol:

I'm up to 240, looking for supermoto protective gear, what do you wear? I need something before I hit the kart tracks this fall.

I am a long time 2stroke fan, even raced one and medalled in an ISDE a while back, but for motarding, sure seems like four stroke way to go.... I only ride 250 2t off road, but my new motard is a 450 Husky SMR

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
:boxing:

Its like that picture was squeezed down when they developed it. I wear a size 8 boot and that picture makes my foot look huge!

38 or 40 No Fear pants that are big and I have to keep pulling them up (suspenders?) and a XL or XXL Textile street jacket.

I think its my lack of good pavement protection that keeps me restrained on the pavement.

·
Registered
113 Posts
:boxing:

Its like that picture was squeezed down when they developed it. I wear a size 8 boot and that picture makes my foot look huge!

38 or 40 No Fear pants that are big and I have to keep pulling them up (suspenders?) and a XL or XXL Textile street jacket.

I think its my lack of good pavement protection that keeps me restrained on the pavement.

hahaha, glad you took that well. I grew up back there, went to school in Atlanta, worked outta Hickory, NC for 4 years after college.

Figure I can just wear my offroad gear, size 40 waist, but I sure would like something better than my Acerbis Zoom and elbow guards.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts