SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ride there bike at a track day? and how did it do?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
been to the track 4 times with my wrx and i love it. it did great. awesome cornering speed, good tires, amazing brakes with a ss line.

just dialed in the suspension a little (firmer) and the tire pressure (lower) and it was great.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll let you know after Monday. I'm trying to get all the safety pieces installed (sliders and such) over the weekend so that I can attend the Monday practice out at Miller Sportspark. I know from past experience I'm going to miss having a slipper clutch, but if I decide it's something I want to do long term, that's fixable... :pimp:

On a side note I have no doubt from what I've read both here and elsewhere that the WR will be a decent track bike and will certainly be a choice weapon in the sportsman class (until someone shows up with a KTM 690SMC that is). I'm not sure how it will fair against the larger machines in the other classes, but keep in mind a 12 year old who races out here rides a sumo'd CRF150 and has had podium placements in last three races I've seen, and I'm not talking about mini class. I'm talking about asphalt only and all the mixed expert classes where the big boys hang... :eek:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Track followup!

I figured I'd give my impressions of the ol' WR250X at the track. Keep in mind this wasn't a race, just a test and tune session at the Miller Motorsports Park, and my first time on this machine on this track. As Rowdy has spent more time on his around a circuit than I have and eluded to liking it, I will simply give my thoughts on the various areas where people might want specific information.

Power: Don't for a minute think this bike is slow! While it's no 250 mx killer, it will hold it's own down the straight quite nicely thank you very much. After several drags down the front straight with a guy on a KTM 250SX who weighed less than 140 pounds dripping wet (keep in mind I'm 185 ish), he pulled my WR by 4-5 bike lengths. Also take note he was in the rev limiter at the end of the straight in sixth, while I kicked fourth about half way down and just scooted past 80 mph before grabbing the brakes for turn 1. With a little gearing work this thing wouldn't give up hardly anything to a 250 mx IMHO.

Tires: I'm not as thrilled with these as Rowdy is, but honestly it was 90 degrees by 11:00 am so that might have had something to do with it. I found that after a smooth warm up lap turning up the wick would simply overheat the tires within 6 laps. While still ridable at that point, it just wasn't much fun as there was a lot of sliding I didn't want. Also, I found that the tires tend to chatter in hard slow turns when warm. This might have more to do with the damping than anything else, but it was there and not really agreeable.

Brakes: Now here is something Yamaha got right. They are powerful, don't fade without a ton of work, and are easy to modulate. I have put an SS line on the front, but honestly even without it I'm sure the brakes would have left a good impression on me.

Suspension: If I were to race this bike outside the Sportsman class, I would want to do some work here. Even with everything cranked up and clickers set at maximum settings, the bike is too soft to ride in the dirt for me. On the smaller doubles and 20' table tops I was bottoming the front and back pretty easily. I'm so used to my YZ250F in this environment, that this bike just left me wanting better damping and more progressive springs.

Other odds and ends: The controls are pretty decent, and I probably won't change anything in that regard right away. I've already tossed the stock bars for an older Renthal set I had laying around, and with that came a grip change to ones I like. The chassis is really good and feels stiff (no flex is good flex for me), the seating position is nice and I like the height as it is, so I will leave that stuff alone as well.

To summarize there isn't too much I would change about the bike, and according to the Sportsman class rules (the class I will race in initially), I can't even if I want to so I will make due with what Yamaha saw fit to give me. Honestly this bike will work great in that class, and other than treating the tires with some TLC after several laps on hot days and dealing with the soft boingers, my guess is this thing is as close to a cheater bike for that class as you can get. I look forward to seeing what others find out as they get them out to their local tracks... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
i am going again tomorrow, so maybe ill have some video to post up...

power-tomorrow will be my first day with all my mods totally done. so we will see. really, you just have to rev the snot out of it.

tires-they are very pressure dependent if you ask me. i push the front before the rear lets go. and the chatter in medium hard turns you talk about, for me at least, was fixed by a change in line and moving even more forward on the bike.

i foudn the tires to be worse on cold days for me, better on hot days.

brakes-awesome. i have a ss line too. you can lift the rear wheel at 70mph and still have some control.

suspesnsion-as long as you load it smoothly it is ok. i am only 140lbs and i think it is soft....

clutch-if you modulate it correctly, it will let you back it in just fine.

odds and ends-i put aftermarket foot pegs on that are biggger, sturdier and higher up. the stockers touch down waaayyy to easy. i also put on an aftermarket bar with a higher bend and liek how it opened up the riding position. i also now have some stomppads on the tank to help me grip with my knees when i jump.

i have also had the gas light come on at 40 miles on the track, starting the mornign with it full...

all in all i can carry more corner speed and brake later. so that has made me faster even with my slower than walkign speed in the dirt. =)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Those are great pics Rowdy! Now I wished I had someone at the track with a camera for some action shots of me!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Now that's what I call a good day of burning rubber the right way my friend... :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
:clap: Reminds me of track days on my R1 at button willow when i use to live in California. Nicely done.

Quick question.. I haven't taken the X off road yet. Is there a loss of traction that is noticeable at all entering and exiting the dirt? how long does it last when you get back onto the pavement? It looks like you have 2 powdered donuts on that thing. Some of it probably melts into the rubber a little. Is this a problem at all with the stock tires?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
At the track I normally go to, the first two turns after the dirt are fairly slow, 1st and 2nd gear, so you get rid of the slippery aspect of the dirt on your tires pretty quickly.

But yes, other times I have felt the dirt take away some of my traction big time for about 2 turns, of any kind. But the effect never lasts longer than that.

Those are stock tires I have and I have heat cycled them like you see probably 16 times over 5 track days....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts