SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
suggestions for conversion of racing slicks to street legal tires?
2021 450 fs comes with racing slicks
Front 16.5” alpina (22mm front axle)
Rear 17”
I can’t find street legal tires or a 17” front wheel to replace the 16.5. Can’t find the fs model under any parts lists. I was hoping someone else had some success with this same process. This is the only step holding me back.

·
Super Moderator
1,762 Posts
Just buy a another Alpina 17" wheel from Alpina. FC and FS are same axle.

People buying race bikes to put on the street should look into this info

Reactions: shift1313

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could always try a 420 (16.5) rain front tire. Damn it, not blowing blunts! It has siping which gives the look of a street tire, although it is specifically a racing tire. I use a Metzeler racetec SM rain - front from Toxic Moto Racing (on the West Coast) to fake out the LEO. Of course, I don’t do anything stupid to get noticed! Or, you could spend more money on another Alpina rim. Why not try a racetec and see what you think? Mo money solves all problems! Good Luck, Amish

·
Registered
540 Posts
Any modern KTM sumo wheel will bolt up. Use your existing wheel spacers, and the brake rotor spacer and source a 17" from Alpina, Warp9, Dubya, SM Pro, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe the Honda CBR900 came with a 16.5" front. Might want to see what you can track down on one of forums about that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any modern KTM sumo wheel will bolt up. Use your existing wheel spacers, and the brake rotor spacer and source a 17" from Alpina, Warp9, Dubya, SM Pro, etc.
Not the case, caliper will hit the spokes.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Not the case, caliper will hit the spokes.
Are you certain? I am running a 16.5 with a berringer caliper and camt imagine the 17 being that much different.

If the OP plans to race i would suggest a new set of wheels. If you are just streeting you could try and get just the rim and new spokes from alpina. Im sure the wait will be a long while though...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tried a 17” Warp 9 with the Brembos and it definitely hits, talked to Buchanan and they will custom drill a 17” rim and lace it to a KTM hub if you send it to them, also possible to make it tubeless. Rim color won’t be an exact match to the Alpina but it will work. Otherwise yes the 17” Alpina wheel may work but sourcing isn’t easy and I’m still not positive it will clear.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I tried a 17” Warp 9 with the Brembos and it definitely hits, talked to Buchanan and they will custom drill a 17” rim and lace it to a KTM hub if you send it to them, also possible to make it tubeless. Rim color won’t be an exact match to the Alpina but it will work. Otherwise yes the 17” Alpina wheel may work but sourcing isn’t easy and I’m still not positive it will clear.
I dont have my sm rims mounted at the moment but here are the 4 different hub setups that i have for spoke reference.
alpina using the kite hubs
dna hub
oem machined hub
tusk impact.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have no issues running a 17 inch spoked rim on my FS 450. works perfectly fine without hitting the caliper.

Reactions: shift1313
1 - 11 of 11 Posts