SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup Junkies.
Its been a while since i was here.
Iv been into racing bikes last years but its good feel to be back on motard.

Now just got myself brand new smc, besides quick shifter i kind of regret getting the new one.
I have really hard time getting a slipon because they made the overlap to silencer completely new.
And not to mention all the the damn electronics...TS, ABS, Mode1 mode 2...I want the good old simple one.

Let me see what you have as slipon on your 2020.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wings, Akro, FMF, Remus, Arrow, Leo Vince

you'll probably want to keep it in ride mode 2, as ride mode 1 cuts the wheelies and reduces rear wheel spin.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx, i went for Wings. But its to small and noisy .
Going to try something custom from Sweedish Race parts.

I normally turn off ABS and TS when i ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Should mention that I’ve also seen the 701’s Akro pipe mounted, as the can and end cap are different than the new 690 one and seem to work with the lines of the bike better than the 690 can for a cleaner look

I’ve got a 2019. I don’t notice too much diff in ride mode 2 with TC on or off other than I just got 12000km on my rear with a bit more life to go when I used to consistently hit 8000km on my old 2010 690SMC with no electronics. your first hard launch in pounding rain in ride mode 2 will make you love TC when the front starts floating up, as you can just roll it on to WOT and let the electronics sort out a smooth launch with zero wheelspin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Should mention that I’ve also seen the 701’s Akro pipe mounted, as the can and end cap are different than the new 690 one and seem to work with the lines of the bike better than the 690 can for a cleaner look

I’ve got a 2019. I don’t notice too much diff in ride mode 2 with TC on or off other than I just got 12000km on my rear with a bit more life to go when I used to consistently hit 8000km on my old 2010 690SMC with no electronics. your first hard launch in pounding rain in ride mode 2 will make you love TC when the front starts floating up, as you can just roll it on to WOT and let the electronics sort out a smooth launch with zero wheelspin.
7200 MILES on a rear..... SELL that sumo because you DEFINITELY aren't using it. I get 1200 miles Front & Rear if I'm LUCKY, which is two weeks of riding!

·
Registered
143 Posts
7200 MILES on a rear..... SELL that sumo because you DEFINITELY aren't using it. I get 1200 miles Front & Rear if I'm LUCKY, which is two weeks of riding!
Lol, cool story bro.

I take it you’ve never ridden S21s or had a bike with traction control. If you want to burn through a set even faster, I suggest that you try pulling those massive balls of yours out from under the keyboard and head outside for a track day and see how they actually stack up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How the FUCK do you think I wear the tires out so fast.... EVERY day is a track day. Traction control.... ahhhhhh yes several of my bikes have TC..... of which is for girlies... I ALWAYS have it off on all my bikes.

Maybe you should buy my take offs so you can wear the centers out and/or maybe you should just ride a moped given your tires last 7500 miles as clearly speed is not something in YOUR blood!

Your suggestion of S21's just revealed your total lack of ability or you would know S21's are crappy.... they have a lip on the edge of the tire that hinders full lean, the bike has horrible traction riding on edge of S21's. Also I've never gotten over 3000 miles even sport touring taking it "easy".

Not that you'll EVER need them or could utilize them.... but Corsa's are the best tire as the have a fully rounded profile which allows infinite lean. Corsa's are better than Super Corsa's which only last me 1000 miles as they are thinner. Super Corsa's are better for 200 miles then the same as Corsa's for 650 miles then worse than Corsa's until the cords show.... and yes I ride my tires down to the cords.

Btw, dolts like you are why I never frequent forums.

My bad I just happened to have a bit of temporary insanity and decided to read a couple of forum threads which I saw in the email the forum AUTO SENDS me.... I couldn't believe me eyes when I saw someone getting 7200 miles on a tire.... and had to respond.

My suggestion is YOU need to get off the forums, quit gaming, quit LOOKING at your bike... did I mention GET OFF THE FORUMS...... get on a bike ANY bike and START riding so maybe you could learn to fucking ride!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oooo I like that fighting spirit! I honestly don’t need a bike with a slipper clutch to back it around a corner, so I imagine that I would just have to chase you in hot on my moped and take that little hole when you hesitate and run wide. I painted the moped orange which is good for another 3HP so I’ll pull away on the following straight too.

If you are allowed up here it would be fun to go for a ride sometime and dice it up but we ride more than just pavement as our local supermoto track options disappear from urban sprawl. It’s way too wet and cold up here for corsas to keep sticky in all but what we call summer heat for a few weeks of the year, or a track day, but I appreciate the first hand review. SC-2’s felt wooden on my old plated 450r SM back in 2005 on the street or track but they’ve likely gotten better while I looked elsewhere. Since they started impounding bikes for speeding 30 km/h over the limit on the highway, handing out stunt riding tickets and not to mention worsening traffic and closures of race tracks we started heading into the mountains on 17’s and the k73, which is more of a rain, has been a recent favourite as you can really have fun when they easily start sliding sideways on hot days riding highways with litre sport bikes, but they still get you through creeks and up rock faces fairly well and eat up logging and mountain bike trails and allow you to access all those backcountry gems worth riding out of the city to get to, but it’s more like you’re on a worn set of knobbies at the best of times.

I’m of a different opinion on the S21’s (stock on my 2019), I like the front and how fast it falls into corners and like how sticky the front feels when you’re pushing it in near freezing temps and daily rain. I guess I ride a bit more loose than you do though. I don’t pay attention to how the rear’s tracking along at all, because as long as the front stays relatively planted and is providing good feedback, I’m comfortable with the rear bucking and sliding. the rear S21 always feels predictable when it slides but Tc has unexpectedly and shockingly doubled my usual rear life. I didn’t buy the dongle to keep it switched off so I keep it in mode 2 which still lets you light up the back end a healthy amount on a hard drive but after a point it starts retarding spark to bring you back from the edge. I just got a set of half price S22’s so thats what is going on next week as I’m trying to keep the costs down in this horrible world. I don’t know anyone that’s tried them but I’m a sucker for some good marketing banter and new tire tech and they got me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Aside from your review on your tire choice, what area of the USofA are you able to ride the tires off your bike so easily? Are you playing on the street, or the track, or both?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your suggestion of S21's just revealed your total lack of ability or you would know S21's are crappy.... they have a lip on the edge of the tire that hinders full lean, the bike has horrible traction riding on edge of S21's. Also I've never gotten over 3000 miles even sport touring taking it "easy".

Im so glad to hear that somebody else also feels the same as me...
Just came back from trackday and i must say those s21 sucks balls...S22 was awesome on my R1M but i want conti sm on motard.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aside from your review on your tire choice, what area of the USofA are you able to ride the tires off your bike so easily? Are you playing on the street, or the track, or both?
The Malibu Hills where everyday is a track day, literally. There are roads with no houses and rarely a car on them, super tight turns and 1500' elevation change. Latigo is one of those roads with over 160 turns in 10 miles. Many, many top current and former SBK racers live in the area just for that reason, I'm not going to reveal any names but just know it's a lot. Best place to ride if you are a serious rider and addicted to racing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im so glad to hear that somebody else also feels the same as me...
Just came back from trackday and i must say those s21 sucks balls...S22 was awesome on my R1M but i want conti sm on motard.
Yep, just look at that S21 lip where the tire face stops, it's almost like a 50 series tire its profile is so flat. That lip inhibits you from leaning the bike anymore and the bike handles horrible when you are riding on that lip.

Conti's are much better than S21's but still don't have as much available lean angle as Corsa's.

I use Corsa's on all my bikes SBK's and Motards on the street just look at a Corsa or Super Corsa profile you have infinite lean surface on the tire. As I said I use Corsa's because Super Corsa's wear out a couple hundred miles sooner and the extra stickiness isn't needed on the street... an all out track day yes, the street no as I carry speed through the corners having fun but trying to make the tire last 1200 miles. Believe me, even though I have my own tire machine it gets old changing the tires every two weeks I have a reputation for coming home on cords as the night before I looked at my tires and think... I don't feel like doing tires tonight. My fronts wear out faster than the rears, not down to to cords but they get so thin on the sides there just is no traction left, so I have to slow down a bit until the rear is totally gone. Sure wish I was a billionaire and had a crew to put new Super Corsa's on EVERY day. But I'm grateful I get to do what I do so no complaints.

I realize most parts of the country there are no roads where you can remotely use that lean angle but for those that go to the track or live in California, ride the serious roads and have the riding ability a fully rounded tire is a must.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Malibu Hills where everyday is a track day, literally. There are roads with no houses and rarely a car on them, super tight turns and 1500' elevation change. Latigo is one of those roads with over 160 turns in 10 miles. Many, many top current and former SBK racers live in the area just for that reason, I'm not going to reveal any names but just know it's a lot. Best place to ride if you are a serious rider and addicted to racing.
Damn those roads at your temps would just be ruthless on tires if you live around there. You’re a lucky man to ride that dream daily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I spend ~6 months a year the warm months, until the winter rains come, living there riding every day. THAT'S why my tires don't last.

I fully admit I'm very lucky to have been able to live there and do this for the last 20 years. BUT I paid my dues, graduated from ASU when I was 21 and started two companies working my ass off so I could do this. Started racing when I was a kid, never got married or had kids so I could accumulate money to afford to do this... fortunate to have a long time "girlfriend" (25 years) that understands my addiction to racing.

Everything in life is about choices and determination.... I had to decide out of high school, to quit racing, go to college or be broke racing. I sadly gave up racing but now get to enjoy the fruits of my labors. I'm also very fortunate to be exceedingly healthy given I'm 67 and run with the best of them, but taking a click off, due to knowing at my age a huge crash maybe not be fully recoverable to ride as I do.

Don't want to sound trite but I learned at an early age the key to success is NEVER go in debt (except a house), work hard, don't have kids if you want to own a business... running a business is harder than having kids and you won't likely have time for both unless you are lucky enough to have a VERY supportive family (with money), you need to have determination like steel, never EVER give up and find and/or associate yourself with a mentor in your field of interest that can provide some guidance no matter how small. Also know, no matter how good or smart you are there is an element of luck in business, anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar. I hope all that read this find success in life whatever that is for YOU and remember life is a journey with many pitfalls, do not be deterred keep pressing on, I know how hard it is but just keeping pressing on.

Finally, I wish all of you riding enjoyment wherever you live, no matter how good the roads are or aren't, know that your skills can only be improved through saddle time, gains are incremental, work on your skills at slower speeds with smaller bikes, dirt is best... remember slow is fast, mastering skills at slower speeds ALWAYS makes you faster and don't get cocky there will always be someone faster than you, unless you are a professional racer at the highest levels of which the odds of you being that are going to be slim to none due to lack of time and money, group rides are detrimental to bettering your skills, just be at one with the bike working to be a better your skills... enjoy life it's really short!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts