SuperMoto Junkie banner

2018 Beta 300rr for Sumo?

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Tav 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a 2018 Beta 300rr and getting it street legal here in Ohio (easy) and putting on some sumo wheels and a fan kit from Beta through their BYOB (Custom order). The 300r MSO does not list "For off-road use only" and this 2 stroke already comes with all of the street legal stuff except you have to add turn signals. Also, the bike has oil injection that is reliable from what I've read on the beta forum, so no mixing oil while out at the gas stations. Would this make a good 2 stroke sumo? Has anyone here done it? I also want to use it for trail riding as well. I will not be using it on the highway, just local hooligan riding in the twisties and occasional off-road in sumo trim. My other consideration is a 2018 wr450f, however, that bike actually takes a little more work to get street legal because I believe it has "for off-road use only" on it's MSO so you have to get the title changed. I'd rather have the two stroke because of simpler maintenance, no valve adjustments and the biker lightweight at 230 lbs. Also, it would be cool to ride a 2 stroke again. From what many are saying, they are getting 150 hrs before a rebuild.

I would appreciate it if anyone can share their experience with this 300rr 2 stroke as a sumo or share your thoughts. Thanks!

#2 ·
I don't ride a beta, but I do have a two stroke on the street so I'll weigh in. First, the wr450f will be better on the street. Not even a close. I have a kx250, so a beta will be much better on the street then mine, and mine doesn't do too bad. As long as you don't plan on riding fast for a long period of time the bike will do great. Go for it, I feel like I'm breaking all the laws when I'm out on mine, kinda makes you feel like a teenager again. I'll answer any questions you have that I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm wondering if the 300rr would be any different? The 250 2 stroke is not fast? Someone on youtube showed the 300rr doing 90+ mph. How would a wr450r be better at all speeds? No valve checks sounds appealing and a top end rebuild is easy on that bike.

#5 ·
Beta dealer said I can even get a temp tag right out of the dealership if I BYOB at the Beta website and add the needed street stuff. There is zero issue getting the Beta 300rr street legal in Ohio. I'm just trying to figure out whether to go 4t or 2t. Also, I might look into getting a new KTM 250 TPI, fuel injected 2 stroke which also has oil injection as well, however ,I don't know if the oil injection is as good as the Beta 300rr which has been proven to be reliable on the forums.

2018 wr450f is great too, too decision. Actually I can get a new 2018 wr450 for $1000 cheaper, $7500 but will require more money into to uncork it. Decisions decisions!

#7 ·
The 250 is very fast, it'll do about 90 or so. The problem is that MY bike has a close ratio transmission, so it's turning at like 5,000 rpms at 50 mph. A 300 should cruise much better then mine with the wide ratio transmission. Maybe the newer Ktms and Betas may have alleviated most of the two stroke concerns with oil injection and different engine set up. I know the older kdx220 seem to cruise alright, so the 300 should also. You are correct, the maintenance is much simpler and cheaper. I have wanted to move to a wr450 a few times, but the thought of repair parts hasn't let me. A 300 would make an awesome sumo in my opinion. My 250 is a rowdy beast that never disappoints, and with the improvements the 300 has over mine I'd imagine it would even be sweeter.

#8 ·
I have a husky 300 street legal and it is a blast! It’s definitely not going to like the highway where you have to cruise at 80 for a while but neither do I! The weight and nimbleness of it makes it extremely fun tho, it definitely brings the child out of me every time I get on it!

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies! It's great to get some insight from 2t sumo riders. This will be my first sumo experience. I just put in a BYOB order for a 2018 Beta 300rr. I added a 4 gal IMS fuel tank, cooling fan and Seat Concepts seat.

I was thinking about ordering these sumo wheels with a cush drive for the bike (the company said the wheels should fit:
Link is here.

Can I just use the same brake rotors or is it advisable to upgrade to larger rotors? I want to also use this bike for dirt as well.

#11 ·
Cool! Yeah I will definitely post some pics and give a review on it. The bike is supposed to start being built on 3/16, which takes about a week then will be shipped out which will take another week or so. So I should have the bike by the end of the month and then I will have to wait another couple of weeks for the title to go and get plates for the bike.

#13 ·
I have been running pilot pures, and Bridgestone battle-ax (not sure on the spelling). I wouldn't mind trying a tire with a bit more meat on it for light off roading. I have been running normal tubes as of the last few years. I can't tell the difference on the street, and the tubeless set up I had continued to leak...My gearing is 15-48 with steel sprockets from Rocky Mountain atv. I do not remember the names either.

#15 ·
300 exc sm

[/IMG]

You won't regret putting a 300 on the road. Loads of fun. Run your 2 pot for now but look at getting a 4 pot down the line. If you ride quite hard you'll cook your brakes quite quickly. Two complete setup's would be ideal for fast swaps. You could start with a 320mm rotor and a spacer bracket for your stock caliper. Lots of people use this kind of

setup.

As far as gearing goes, I think I'm running 14/42. I can sit comfortably at about 65mph whilst being just out of the band in 6th by a couple of hundred rpm's. I imagine it'll be slightly different on the Beta though.

Tires. I run a Goldspeed Streetsport Ultra 120/70 on the front. Fantastic tire. Soft and grippy with good feedback and not lethal like the pre cut slicks in the rain. Can't really help with the rear as I'm on a 5in rim and a 160 tire.

Any questions, just ask. I'll help if I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.