SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are most people converting using a 4.25" or 5" rim? Pros/Cons of each?

I think stock SM runs a 5" but not sure if that is best for conversion due to fitment. I don't want the change over to be a pain in the ass (rubbing chain, cutting fork guards, etc) if at all possible.

motoxindustries recommends a 4.25" for most sm conversions- but that appears not to be bike specific.

Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my SM wheels for my EXC 500 from MotoX and went with 4.25” based upon their recommendations.....and glad I did.

If you reach out to their sales department, they talk to you about bike specific fitment.
They said a 5 would fit in my EXC but its a challenge to get it mounted around the rear disc and claimed the chain would not rub the tire.

So glad after installing the 4.25’s because it was a pain in the arse to install along with the disc and theres no way a 5 isn’t going to rub the tire as the 4.25 only has about a CM of space.

I think the 701 SM’s (check the husky site) come with 5’s so you likely have more room than me.

Good luck enjoy cause the SM is sooooo fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just received my SM wheels for my EXC 500 from MotoX and went with 4.25” based upon their recommendations.....and glad I did.

If you reach out to their sales department, they talk to you about bike specific fitment.
They said a 5 would fit in my EXC but its a challenge to get it mounted around the rear disc and claimed the chain would not rub the tire.

So glad after installing the 4.25’s because it was a pain in the arse to install along with the disc and theres no way a 5 isn’t going to rub the tire as the 4.25 only has about a CM of space.

I think the 701 SM’s (check the husky site) come with 5’s so you likely have more room than me.

Good luck enjoy cause the SM is sooooo fun!
Thanks. Did you call them? I can't seem to get anyone on the phone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts