SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a 2015 wr450f that I am building into a fully street legal supermoto. To start off I live in massachusetts and and financed the bike from a local dealer. From what I hear it is a big pain to title a dirt bike in mass(because it take so damn long, nh only takes 30 days or less apparently), so I'm having a close friend title it for me in NH, so when this bike is titled in NH she will "sell" it or gift the title back to me so I can register it in mass. This involves me "selling" the bike to this friend via bill of sale so they could try and title it. Apparently how it goes in nh you need valid certificate of origin and a bill of sale to apply for a title. I was denied this because i dont have the original certificate of origin (have an exact copy, not the original) because I financed the bike. From reading on forums I knew you could title a dirt bike in nh without a certificate of origin, so I called the nh title Bureau and explained my situation. The supervisor told me the only way I could do this is to: 1. get an off road registration 2. get a vin verification (a dealer or cop checks out the bike to verify the vin) 3. write a statement about what I have done to make the bike street legal. After all that is done I can apply for a title. What I am worried about is this process not being able to work because I have a lien on the mass certificate of origin. I'm just not sure if the lien will effect/matter with the titling in nh because this process apparently doesn't require a certificate of origin. And I know you technically shouldn't sell a bike with a lien on it. Plus I figured if I was successful with titling and registering it in mass, the bike would still have a lien on it (wich is what I want in the end.) I only owe 2800 on the bike and could pay it off right now np I just would rather not because I want to build credit off the loan.
:headscrat

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Might want to add some spaces between that well of text.

Bike looks nice though, wish I had an EFI bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pay off bike.
Get clean title for ease of next steps.
Transfer to GF.
Plate.
Get back.
Ride.
Build credit by buying a toaster oven on payment plan from Best Buy

·
Registered
16 Posts
As long as you have proof of a chain of ownership, South Dakota will title your bike. I'm not going to get too deep because the directions are stickied on this forum here: http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?144432-Get-a-Street-Legal-Title-and-Plate-for-ANY-Bike

I have done this method in 2016 on my 2012 WR450f and I renewed my plates in 2017, so I can confirm it works.

Here's a basic checklist and some tips:

1.) SD title app/transfer form
2.) Modification affidavit (needs notarization, notary doesn't have to inspect or see bike)
3.) A money order of around $90. They will tell you exactly how much. (Most of the fee is the out of state title app)
4.) Chain of ownership. You need something that proves you bought the bike. I had my bill of sale and the previous owner's bill of sale.
5.) MSO or title. I'm not sure if it has to be the original. Mine was, though. See Tip below.

Tip: The Pennington County Treasurer handles this transaction. They will know exactly how to help you and they are who you pay and send paperwork to. Both ladies I dealt with were very kind and knowledgeable on the phone (605-394-2163). These are not your average DMV workers who couldn't care less about your problem, so don't be an asshole on the phone. Tell them about your situation but spare them all the personal problems about this state and that state and buying and selling and your girlfriend... Just tell them what documents you currently posses and let them tell you if what you have is sufficient.

Assuming your documents are good, you mail them in with your money order and literally a few days later you will have a South Dakota plate. In a few more weeks, you will receive the title by mail. It's your choice once you receive the title to go to your local tax collector and transfer the title/registration to your state. Most states legally require you to do so if you are a resident of the state.

I'm still running the SD plates in Mississippi for two reasons: 1. the cops haven't messed with me for running out of state plates and 2. the Pennington County Treasury office is so nice to deal with, I'd rather deal with them than the POS employees that work for my local tax office and DMV (plus my yearly tag is only $27 to renew thru SD).

There is NO reason for "titling issues" with South Dakota willing to register and title literally any ATV or MC with over 200cc's to out of state residents.

Best of luck to you. It's easy as fuck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts