SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Brian,

Check out SMR magazine. I believe they had a writeup on the inside scoop of racing supermoto at PPHIC. Ryan, the owner has raced it. The entry is spendy, you have to be approved to race, and it's certainly not for the faint of heart, but it would be worth it! It's on my to-do list! I think Registration is still open for next year, but I'm not certain.

If you make it to the UT area, check out Utah Supermoto!
www.utahsupermoto.com

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
That is a good write up and covers most of the bases. A few things I would add:

Build a stand. The staging area is extremely crowded and time is very limited so they need everyone lined up in race order to keep things moving. What this means to you is in order to run tire warmers, you'll need to come up with a way to move your bike with the warmers installed and the generator mobile. Obviously you can't roll the thing with warmers on so a stand with wheels is necessary, the more stable the better (you don't want to be the guy that has his bike fall off the stand and land on Rhys Millen's race car) Here's what I came up with. It worked pretty well but was a bit heavy and since you have to carry the thing from the pits to the road, weight is an issue. More on the pits later.

Plan for the weather. Even though it's summer, the mountain doesn't care. On top you can see everything from rain to snow and the only shelter is a small gift shop and a smelly tent. The gift shop is open to the public (the highway is closed to traffic, but there's a train that runs year-round, including during the race) so they don't want 150 racers sitting around inside clogging the area up. They will try to kick everyone out even if it's snowing outside. Practice days are going to be colder since it's earlier in the morning.

Beat the traffic. On race day the traffic will be backed up for miles starting at about 4 am. Racers and fans alike will be trying to get the best spot and it will be a complete clusterfuck. My advice is to stage the night before and get there as early as possible on Sunday. I staged my van in the pits on Saturday then on race day I rode my streetbike so I could zip around traffic and not worry about getting caught up in the mess. If that's an option, do it. If not, just get there early and be patient.

Get a good pit spot. The motorcycle pits are in the weeds. Literally. There isn't much space and they have to cram 70-80 bikes and pit crew in the best they can so it gets crowded to say the least. Do a little scouting and find a few spots that you'd like to have and try the best you can to get one. No guarantee you'll get one since they pretty much tell you where to pit, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Study, study, study! Watch Youtube videos, study the course map, play video games with the Hillclimb (I think Dirt and maybe Gran Turismo have it, not sure) whatever helps you memorize the course. There are a lot of corners and some of them look the same going in but are actually very different, which can be catastrophic. You do get a lot of practice, but as was mentioned in the article, you never get to run the whole course nonstop until race day.

Have fun! It can get very stressful and will be unlike any other race you've done so it's easy to get overwhelmed. If that happens just take a step back and look around. If you made it there, you're already ahead of a lot of guys (and gals) so just enjoy it.

That's all I can think of for now. Any questions, feel free to ask. Calco is another good source for knowledge and I'm sure he'll have some things to add.

Are you planning on doing any testing days? What are you riding?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

I appreciate the input. still waiting to hear if Im in, but my buddy Jason Doody and I are making plans none the less. He's on a YZF450, and I just picked up an SXV550. thanks, 2004CRF for the pic. I have one of those tranny jacks. maybe I will use that and try to move the wheels out a bit to make it more stable?

and thanks to JR for the link. lots of good info.

Im still very confused about the schedule. so practice is every morning, mon-fri from dawn until 9am? I don't understand that. is the road open the rest of the day to "normal" traffic or something?

what happens Saturday? race is sunday, right?

brian

·
Registered
260 Posts
That SXV is the ticket! If I were to buy another bike just for the Peak I think that would be it. Or a CR500 since they both run in what was the 450 class. I think it's ridiculous how they separate the classes, but that's beside the point.

Tranny jack might work if it's light enough. Remember you'll be pushing the thing up to the starting line. Post a photo when you get it set up.

So the schedule is: Monday-Tech inspection. Fun time. You get to see everyone you're racing against and all the big names are there too. Tuesday is just practice, Wednesday-Friday is practice and qualifying. They break the mountain into thirds. 2 groups of cars and bikes, sidecars, UTVs, and quads are in the third group. Each day you practice a section of the mountain with one of the days being a "qualifying" day (everyone qualifies, this is only to determine where you line up on race day). If I remember right, it was the bottom section you qualified on. And yeah, you basically start as soon as it's light, do a sighting run of the section you're practicing that day then run as many times as you can until they close it down, usually around 9am. Then the highway is opened to the public. You can pay to drive the highway and get more practice but you have to have a street legal vehicle and follow the speed limits. It did help me to learn the road a little bit.
Friday afternoon is fan fest. They close down a huge portion of downtown Colorado Springs and have exhibits with racers and vendors and shit. There's a motorcycle jump show and all kinds of stuff to do. It's a pretty great time. Saturday you have off. I guess to recover from fan fest. You can also get your pit space set up if you want (highly recommended). Sunday at 0-dark-30 you show up and get ready to race. I think they start at 8 which is good because it gives the asphalt a chance to warm up a little and the sun to move so it's not in your eyes when you go through Elk Park. You'll see what I'm talking about during practice.

Anyway, I hope this helps and it's not too confusing.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
you don't want to be the guy that has his bike fall off the stand and land on Rhys Millen's race car
Ouch, did anyone get pics? Whose bike was it? :lol:

Sweet Husky! Looks like you could use some www.SLIDEmoto.com axle sliders :D Are you racing that elsewhere? AZ tracks?

Brian,
you might look into a large cart from Harbor freight or other tool supplies. Look for the kind with pneumatic tires, pull handle with swivel front, and a brake. Then modify the cart to work, or steal the vital parts off it and make a new frame. I would suggest making a good sized cart (wheelbase near the same length as the bike and a track-width almost as wide as the bars) for added stability.

I haven't raced PPIHC but I like to build stuff, so that's my suggestion on the cart! :thumbup:

I would like to get out there this year to watch if my schedule and travel budget allows! Need to check dates. I've got a lot of events to cover this year. My UT series, AMA races, as well as a couple other regional supermoto races.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ouch, did anyone get pics? Whose bike was it? :lol:

Sweet Husky! Looks like you could use some axle sliders :D Are you racing that elsewhere? AZ tracks?

Brian,
you might look into a large cart from Harbor freight or other tool supplies. Look for the kind with pneumatic tires, pull handle with swivel front, and a brake. Then modify the cart to work, or steal the vital parts off it and make a new frame. I would suggest making a good sized cart (wheelbase near the same length as the bike and a track-width almost as wide as the bars) for added stability.

I haven't raced PPIHC but I like to build stuff, so that's my suggestion on the cart! :thumbup:

I would like to get out there this year to watch if my schedule and travel budget allows! Need to check dates. I've got a lot of events to cover this year. My UT series, AMA races, as well as a couple other regional supermoto races.

Oh, it didn't happen. I was just saying that we do get that close to the race cars and it can get hectic.

thanks! I could use some axle sliders and exhaust donuts and all kinds of stuff really. I do race it at some AMA events. I did Havasu last year, Sturgis and Denver the year before and some Colorado SM races. Not much racing down here in AZ any more. I practice at MHC in Tucson when I can but I don't think Charlie has run a race there in a while and since he tore the dirt section out it would just be asphalt anyway.

+1 on the HF cart. That's probably what I'll try if I do it again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brian,
you might look into a large cart from Harbor freight or other tool supplies. Look for the kind with pneumatic tires, pull handle with swivel front, and a brake. Then modify the cart to work[/QUOTE]

im leaning toward this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bike cart

heres a crazy idea:

what if I took a golf cart, and added some type of tail to it so the bike would "hang" from the back? That way I would have a mobile bike stand that would allow tire warmers, and also have a mini transportation buggy to move crap around the whole week.

looking on craigslist, I see multiple options for golf cars

·
Registered
260 Posts
heres a crazy idea:

what if I took a golf cart, and added some type of tail to it so the bike would "hang" from the back? That way I would have a mobile bike stand that would allow tire warmers, and also have a mini transportation buggy to move crap around the whole week.

looking on craigslist, I see multiple options for golf cars
Unless they change the rules you can't run any type of tow vehicle to include quads and golf carts.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Keep it simple. No way will a golf cart be okay up there. You only need that mobile stand the day of the race, practice is just gonna be pit style area where you ride to/from. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421252122.296151.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pits

so do we find a pit spot on Monday, spot the trailer and leave it there the whole week?

I'd hate to haul it to the hotel every day, but on the other hand, it would be more secure?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep it simple.
great! thanks for the pic. I have something very close to that already. I was afraid I would need something with big (10") wheels on it. I like what you have here, but was not sure how uneven the road was. thank you!

what tires do you run for practice/race? Does anyone run rains?

...practice is just gonna be pit style area where you ride to/from
this part I don't understand. I only need stand for the day of race, but what is the rest of this?

·
Registered
721 Posts
So if you have a trailer , your life is going to be rough up there. Keep in mind any vehicle you take up there, especially on race day, can only be something like 20ft long. I highly suggest a Uhaul van. Space is SUPER limited.

You won't be able to leave anything on the mountain during the week. Practice takes place at a different spot each day during the week, so one day you'll be at the top, then on the middle, then on the bottom. Then on race day you'll be at the bottom again. You only need the mobile stand on race day because they line up like 50+ bikes on race day, and it takes almost an hour+ to get to the start line, so during that time if you have tire warmers and a generator, you need a way to keep your stuff mobile as you creep up to the start line, if you don't have those warmers/generator - get them. During practice, you kind of just go up to the designated start line, do a run, then come back down and do it again several more times.

As for tires, I ran dunlop slicks back when they were allowed, then last year I ran of michelin sm tires.

Here's some vids I made from last year to give you an idea of how stuff works.

This one shows a practice session up top: http://youtu.be/8uE3GeK3Ap

This one shows race day and you can see the mess of people on the start line before the race where we need to stay mobile: http://youtu.be/dMkB7AvpdJM

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We got in for 2015

Im in, and so is my team mate Jason!
totally stoked

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
February 11, 2015

Dear Brian Osborne,

Organizers of the The Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb brought to you by Gran Turismo (PPIHC) are pleased to

announce your acceptance as a competitor in the 93rd running of the “Race to the Clouds”.

You have been assigned the following Race Number: 98

Race officials for the 2015 event are as follows:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Awesome! :thumbup: Good news!

I'm in too, although I'm not sure I'll actually be able to run. Depends on whether I can get off work but I have till next month to figure that out.

Cal, are you in?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nah, I'm taking a year off. Gonna go play in Europe for most of June. I've got ideas for 2016 though, I might show up with a custom beast of an orange bike in middleweight...

·
Registered
721 Posts
ratfarts

how could not defend a win!?!
Oh I want to, believe me.

But I did 3 consecutive years of trying really hard to win, and 2 of those involved crashing which is the worst after a year of anticipation and week of practice. So I felt like after all the hard work I put in, I deserved a breather haha.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts