SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so i'm new here.
I'm going to be picking up a new 2014 yz85 this week end. My intentions will be to convert it into a fully street legal supermoto. I was wondering what mods i would have to make. I'm thinking of putting 17" or 14" tires on it. preferably tires with some ridges. any suggestions? As for the lighting, does anybody know any good batteries that i could use. I was thinking of getting the tusk enduro lighting kit with a MMX headlight and a trail tech vapor speedometer. do i need any thing else. If any body has ever turned a dirt bike into a street legal bike could you tell me kind of what you had to do. Thanks a lot. Ill be updating this thread with new pictures of the build as it progresses. And if anybody is wondering why a 85, im young, just cause i think it will be a good starter bike for supermoto. I can handle a 250 fine, biggest bike ive been on was a BMW g450 x.

· Registered
85 Posts
you need to check with your local DMV and local riders to see what process is needed to convert from offroad title to onroad title. It varies from state to state. Unfortunately, I don't see the YZ85 reciprocating to many states if you accomplish the process. Good luck.

· Registered
175 Posts
Please dont waste your time, If your to "young" for a 250 on the street dont ride on it. The street is a whole different world, at time I feel like my 450 isnt even enough.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please dont waste your time, If your to "young" for a 250 on the street dont ride on it. The street is a whole different world, at time I feel like my 450 isnt even enough.
you need to check with your local DMV and local riders to see what process is needed to convert from offroad title to onroad title. **It varies from state to state. **Unfortunately, I don't see the YZ85 reciprocating to many states if you accomplish the process. **Good luck.
Thanks Guys for the responses. Do any of you know a 125cc-150cc supermoto?

· Registered
85 Posts
I ride a WR250X. I wouldn't go smaller than that for street use. The dealership I worked for had a crf-230m and it was barely livable. Just depends where you want to go. My uncorked, factory geared WR250X is livable, but for much more than commuting and playing around, it's pointless on the highway.

find a KLX250sf, or a WR250X. Don't go through the process of getting a street legal title for such a pointless street bike. I was trying to sugar coat it in my first post; I didn't want to sway you from enjoying motards. I'm 25, have been riding for 9 years, have had 200+hp bikes and love this WR250X. I'm ready for a 450SMR or 690 Duke though.

· Registered
721 Posts
Mini motos are sportbikes too . . .

Hey so i'm new here.

I'm going to be picking up a new 2014 yz85 this week end.
My intentions will be to convert it into a fully street legal supermoto.
I was wondering what mods I would have to make.
I'm thinking of putting 17" front & 16" rear tire on it.

Preferably tires with some ridges. any suggestions?

As for the lighting, does anybody know any good batteries that I could use.
I was thinking of getting the tusk enduro lighting kit
with a MMX headlight and a trail tech vapor speedometer.
Do I need any thing else.
If any body has ever turned a dirt bike into a street legal bike
could you tell me kind of what you had to do.
Thanks a lot.
I'll be updating this thread with new pictures of the build as it progresses.
And if anybody is wondering why a 85,
I'm young, just cause I think it will be a good starter bike for supermoto.
I can handle a 250 fine, biggest bike I've been on was a BMW g450 x.
http://www.socalsportbikes.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256977&highlight=apex

We set up these two minis for our local kart track w/ Pirelli tires.

LED lights would work too my RXV was a dirt bike . . .

· Registered
721 Posts
Aprilia makes a two stroke 125SX super moto sportbike . . .

Yeah I was thinking of it cause
it just looks soooo much fun to just play around.
But it doesn't seem to have all that much torque.
It just seems like a scooter in bike form.
But it still looks fun.

Maybe a yz125 might fit the deal a little better.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/show...ia-SX-125-FP-w-Gianelli&p=1613549#post1613549

And believe me ~ those minis are waaaaaay more FUN than any scooter I've ever been on . . .

· Registered
721 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.