SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm pretty sure that we have quite a few engineering positions open. PM me and I'll send you some contact info.
This might be a bit off topic, but what does the typical engineer make down there? I'm 4 hours from the infamous oil sands, and the amount of money they pay for me to do QC up there is legitimately insane. Every thing else sucks, but yeah.

I'm still 2 and a half years away from my degree. Just a wanna be at this point.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm pretty sure that we have quite a few engineering positions open. PM me and I'll send you some contact info.
One year left for my BSEE. Might as well shoot me the contact info, doesn't hurt to ask if they have internships available.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
This might be a bit off topic, but what does the typical engineer make down there? I'm 4 hours from the infamous oil sands, and the amount of money they pay for me to do QC up there is legitimately insane. Every thing else sucks, but yeah.

I'm still 2 and a half years away from my degree. Just a wanna be at this point.
$60-100+k

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd relocate to Texas if it meant less cold, I know you guys just got hit also. 0 degrees right now, really dislike the cold, wet and snow.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I'd relocate to Texas if it meant less cold, I know you guys just got hit also. 0 degrees right now, really dislike the cold, wet and snow.
Well it's not 0 degrees and I do ride year round...

there is a fair bit of ice on the ground right now. Seems to hit every three years or so. I'm gonna make a set of ice tires for the next time...just for the experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We're about to hit mid 70's then get snow the next day!

Did you find an engine yet?
There is one on eBay at the moment, a 2007. But paying $2000 for an engine that looks well used with sight unseen is kind of putting me off. Even though I plan on rebuilding it entirely, I still plan on having a nice looking motor in there. I'm kind of picky in that way, I want it to look like a 2014 when I'm done.

On a side note, the Formula car is going to keep the header. We would like to have a custom one, but our University has experience massive budget cuts due to god only knows what. So I need to source out a decent exhaust system. I like FMF because of the price, Dr. D, Yoshimura and Akropovic can be pretty pricey.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Engine

Hate to bum you out, that spare engine is absolutely not any newer than 2006. The oil lines go to a frame reservoir. My take is 2004-6 WR450f. 2007 and up lost the frame tank as they used the aluminum frames. Also the YZ never used the remote tank dry sump system.
We got in twelve 2012-13 WR 450s. The way they are abused should tell if you will see engine parts,or blown engines for sale soon. I'd bet on yamaha, and guess you'll have to search hi & lo to find one soon.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hate to bum you out, that spare engine is absolutely not any newer than 2006. The oil lines go to a frame reservoir. My take is 2004-6 WR450f. 2007 and up lost the frame tank as they used the aluminum frames. Also the YZ never used the remote tank dry sump system.
We got in twelve 2012-13 WR 450s. The way they are abused should tell if you will see engine parts,or blown engines for sale soon. I'd bet on yamaha, and guess you'll have to search hi & lo to find one soon.
I think it was already stated earlier in the thread by crash that this was out of a steel framed wr. Also for the record, steel framed yz's (98-05) also used the oil in the frame set up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah I've come to that sad reality. It's not mine anyway, just very easy for me to acquire. I'm on the hunt for a decent 07+ at this point. I have a few months to find one, I can't set this project into full swing until end of April.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you can get that steel framed motor to fit you can just add an external oil tank for it. The up side is that you'd be able to increase the overall oil capacity of the engine by the size of the tank you use. Just a thought...:hmmm:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you can get that steel framed motor to fit you can just add an external oil tank for it. The up side is that you'd be able to increase the overall oil capacity of the engine by the size of the tank you use. Just a thought...:hmmm:
I've run that scenario around a bit and decided that I should avoid that. As I've built vehicles in the past, I try to minimize the amount of custom built built items that could turn away potential buyers in the future. To explain that there is an external oil tank simply because I used an older generation motor would put off some people.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts