SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a strange one; 2014 WR450F without a motor. My university purchased the bike to use the motor for our Formula SAE build, and I purchased what was left as a way to support the team. So my plan is to now let it sit until I can locate a motor to start the build. The 2012+ FI motors seem to be incredibly rare right now, I have yet to see a single one anywhere for sale online. A bit of a bummer, but I'm sure over time I'll find one. Or hopefully if I get the word out I can get someone to give me a heads up when a bike gets parted.

Anyway, here it is, I'll post more pictures after we dyno the motor tomorrow and I can start putting the bars, rads, and wiring back together.

Here's an old motor from a 2006, I'd use it as a basis to build a 2012+, but apparently they're entirely different. Bummer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All 07 to current WR450 engines are the same!

That's definitely not a 2011 engine, it's a 03-06 which had a different oil sump (oil was in the frame).

FYI, the '12 and up has a different stator so if you get an older engine make sure you swap the stator.
Really? I could have swore our team had a policy about using new engines only, and we only switched to the WR450F platform in 2011. But since the team changes almost every year, who knows. Here's some more pictures to get a better idea of what year it's from.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Really? I could have swore our team had a policy about using new engines only, and we only switched to the WR450F platform in 2011. But since the team changes almost every year, who knows. Here's some more pictures to get a better idea of what year it's from.
How would a new engine have wear on the cover from MX boots?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How would a new engine have wear on the cover from MX boots?
I asked a senior member about that, I guess this motor was used when they got it, and didn't perform as expected. Hence why they are now buying brand new ones. He believes it to be a 2008 motor, which I am hoping is true.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I asked a senior member about that, I guess this motor was used when they got it, and didn't perform as expected. Hence why they are now buying brand new ones. He believes it to be a 2008 motor, which I am hoping is true.
See the oil line coming off of the bottom of the engine? That goes to the frame which means it goes to a steel framed bike. The 07-current engines also have a dipstick in the front l/h case right in front of the cylinder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See the oil line coming off of the bottom of the engine? That goes to the frame which means it goes to a steel framed bike. The 07-current engines also have a dipstick in the front l/h case right in front of the cylinder.
I realized that when I took a closer look at the 2014 motor before we tried to dyno it. Which didn't work, we would start the motor, it would go for about 20 seconds and it would shut off, the engine light would blink twice. Have to talk to a Yamaha mechanic because we have no clue why it's doing that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The engines are extremely sensitive to changes in air flow from both the intake and exhaust side without the competition ECU. Prior to the ECU my friend's '13 would barely start with just the pea shooter removed. It worked fine when I held it in place with some pliers, but as soon as I pulled it away you couldn't even look at the throttle. After a few seconds it would sputter out by itself.

I'm assuming the bike was bought without the competition ECU. I'd highly recommend looking into buying one, otherwise you would have been better off buying a Briggs & Stratton engine lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engines are extremely sensitive to changes in air flow from both the intake and exhaust side without the competition ECU. Prior to the ECU my friend's '13 would barely start with just the pea shooter removed. It worked fine when I held it in place with some pliers, but as soon as I pulled it away you couldn't even look at the throttle. After a few seconds it would sputter out by itself.

I'm assuming the bike was bought without the competition ECU. I'd highly recommend looking into buying one, otherwise you would have been better off buying a Briggs & Stratton engine lol.
We have everything set stock right now, we want to get a solid baseline run before we do anything. Even the throttle stop is still in there.

The tuning is really neat. I get to keep the ECU, wiring, and throttle body for myself. The car gets a custom wiring harness, custom throttle body (because we need to run a 20mm restrictor plate), custom intake plenum, custom exhaust, and we build our own ECU with a tune. I can't recall the name of the stand-alone fuel management system (Not a bad way to spend $10'000), but it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Nice roller man! Crash knows his shit so listen to him, haha. I'm starting to learn more and more about WR's too, but just a fraction of his WR knowledge. :lol:
If you get it running were you thinking of converting it to a supermoto? These FI WR's sure do make some nice sumo's. :thumbup: Welcome by the way.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Make it an electric bike --

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice roller man! Crash knows his shit so listen to him, haha. I'm starting to learn more and more about WR's too, but just a fraction of his WR knowledge. :lol:
If you get it running were you thinking of converting it to a supermoto? These FI WR's sure do make some nice sumo's. :thumbup: Welcome by the way.

Thanks! I really want to, but whether or not I can in Alberta has yet to be determined. Canada is a bit funny, I have to have a plate on it to use it in a provincial park, but whether or not it can be driven on the road is a whole different story. I'm glad it's a 2014, I see an 07 motor on eBay right now, but being in school, that 1700 might be a trick to pay for. I still have some time to build a great motor for it before it gets "old".

I was planning on moving down to either SoCal or Texas somewhere once I'm done my degree, my background prior to engineering was building refineries and now I do quality control, so add a mechanical engineering degree and I'm sure I can find a place to do a year or two. I'm really just looking for experience. Plus I can plate it and drive it down there!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Make it an electric bike --
I didn't snap a picture, but in the corner we have a massive electric motor from a truck that we converted to hybrid a few years ago. But she is a complete pig.

I could rob some parts of the hydrogen-fuel cell car and make it run on water...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Thanks! I really want to, but whether or not I can in Alberta has yet to be determined. Canada is a bit funny, I have to have a plate on it to use it in a provincial park, but whether or not it can be driven on the road is a whole different story. I'm glad it's a 2014, I see an 07 motor on eBay right now, but being in school, that 1700 might be a trick to pay for. I still have some time to build a great motor for it before it gets "old".

I was planning on moving down to either SoCal or Texas somewhere once I'm done my degree, my background prior to engineering was building refineries and now I do quality control, so add a mechanical engineering degree and I'm sure I can find a place to do a year or two. I'm really just looking for experience. Plus I can plate it and drive it down there!!
I know in New-Brunswick if you go to a Yamaha dealer, with all you street legal equipment on( Such as Lights, Turn signals, and Horn). They can sign a paper for a fee to agree that it is road worthy and if you bring that paper to the DMV, you will have a superior chance of getting a street title. A few of my friends got titles with that method. :D

·
Registered
7,786 Posts

Pm me if you want to move to Texas. I can possibly get you a job out here...if you're interested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know in New-Brunswick if you go to a Yamaha dealer, with all you street legal equipment on( Such as Lights, Turn signals, and Horn). They can sign a paper for a fee to agree that it is road worthy and if you bring that paper to the DMV, you will have a superior chance of getting a street title. A few of my friends got titles with that method. :D
Yeah I've heard in Ontario it's legal to run quads on the street. But then again, out East the powers that be smoke crack, so who knows.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts