SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used 2013 Yamaha WR450! I have rode dirtbikes for years and also have a crf250r. recently my cousin converted his wr250 to supermotot and i loved the thing. So or my 18th birthday I got this WR450. I'm going to be working on getting it into supermoto trim over the next few weeks (maybe months) lol.

To-Do List

Baja Designs Dual sport kit
sumo wheels and tires (probably gonna get motostranos kit)
get tag and title through SD
Hit the roads!

Here are some pics of the bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baja designs kit!

I just got my baja designs dual sport kit. Almost finished installing everything. Just need to pick up some more brake fluid and bleeder for the brake light switch. Also mailed my forms to South Dakota. Hopefully ill get my plates soon! Only thing left is wheels and tires

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just ordered a Baja designs kit too, they actually called today saying the computer glitched and earased half my address so it did t get shipped today ha. How is the install? Easy?

I have a brand spanking new set of warp 9 SM wheels with brand new Michelin pilot power 2cts mounted for this bike. All new, decided to sell then keep 2 wheel sets since I don't ride track.

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?179305-Brand-new-warp-9-17-quot-wheels-for-15-Wr450F-with-new-Michelin-2ct-mounted-1k-ship

Taking offers, cheapest deal in town.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ordered a Baja designs kit too, they actually called today saying the computer glitched and earased half my address so it did t get shipped today ha. How is the install? Easy?

I have a brand spanking new set of warp 9 SM wheels with brand new Michelin pilot power 2cts mounted for this bike. All new, decided to sell then keep 2 wheel sets since I don't ride track.

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?179305-Brand-new-warp-9-17-quot-wheels-for-15-Wr450F-with-new-Michelin-2ct-mounted-1k-ship

Taking offers, cheapest deal in town.
got basically the whole kit installed last night. This was my first time installing any electrical or dual sport kit and this was very simple. It comes with detailed instructions as well. The hardest part was just drilling holes for tailight and rear fender, everything else just bolts right on and plugs in. Only thing left is to connect the brake switch. Ill post some pics of it completed today.

·
Registered
204 Posts
yeah def cut or replace the throttle stop screw immediately if it hasnt been done so already! ECU does make a bit of a difference as well.

i feel bad for those of you who have to drop the bank for the kits. here in TX its such a minimal requirement lol. i wired a brake pressure switch, some ghetto ass mirrors and a squeeze horn as well as a LP light and BAM it passes state :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah def cut or replace the throttle stop screw immediately if it hasnt been done so already! ECU does make a bit of a difference as well.

i feel bad for those of you who have to drop the bank for the kits. here in TX its such a minimal requirement lol. i wired a brake pressure switch, some ghetto ass mirrors and a squeeze horn as well as a LP light and BAM it passes state :p
That's what I wasn't sure about, the opening up the engine. The bike was used and they had said it had the typical race stuff done to it but I wasn't 100% sure what all they meant. Is there easy was to check and see if it's all been done?

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's what I wasn't sure about, the opening up the engine. The bike was used and they had said it had the typical race stuff done to it but I wasn't 100% sure what all they meant. Is there easy was to check and see if it's all been done?
The competition ECU sticker on it says 1DX7. Stock says 1DX2

With the stock Ecu you won't be able to tune the bike with a GYTR tuner for any mods you add which really is a nice thing to do.

If it doesn't have it, the competition Ecu kit (w/throttle stop bolt) come in a kit for only like $84 on rockymountainatvmc.com (cheapest I've found) Even without uploading a map with the tuner, the comp ecu alone will still let it run better then the stock box. Tuner is pricey, but if you know someone who has one, you can upload a map with theirs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished up the baja designs kit today. everything is working except the key ignition doesn't seem to work for the engine of the bike. With the key off or even out, you can still start the bike. I have emailed baja designs for some troubleshooting. Anyone else hear of this? anything i could have hooked up wrong? Anyways here's some pics of the finished tail light and head light. ill keep posting pics as the parts roll in.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ya that's sweet.

But at least we get to lane split :bike:

ugh. lane splitting...lucky...

well, we can have machine guns :)

kind of.

anyways...

BD kit looks sweet! I just really don't like the fact you have to bolt it to the fender visibly. the factory tail looks so clean! I just drilled a small hole in the top of the fender under the seat and mounted a little LED for the plate. and keep it tucked and high. "keeps it from breaking off in the trails" which is true, most of the time works here.

as for the ignition, I haven't really looked at the diagram yet...but how did you wire it? power should come from the battery, to the keyed ignition, then to the main ignition switch. that way the ignition supplies the power and if the key isn't on, the ignition wont turn on. im sure you could just bypass the button as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the ignition problem worked out. where the ignition plugs into the stock plug for the kill switch, the plug fits either direction but contacts are only on oneside. So i just flipped it and boom! everything works perfect! Now all i need are wheels/tires and tag!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my tag!!!

Received my South Dakota tag today. Gonna go to tag office tomorrow and get my state tag then hopefully some insurance. Also ordered some excel wheels with talon hubs and all rotors and sprockets I'll need. Should be coming along in the next few weeks. I'm also gonna need some gloves. Any suggestions for some decently priced gloves. Don't really like anything to big and bulky.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't like bulky gloves either. I prefer mx gloves but those offer no protection. I was at cycle gear last night getting a couple things. I picked up some Alpinestar megawatt gloves that have short cuffs. They are like an mx glove fitment but with the good knuckles and leather palms etc for street riding. I like em a lot.

http://www.cyclegear.com/ALPINESTARS-Megawatt-Mesh-Off-Road-Motorcycle-Gloves

As much as I don't like icon products, they have some MX inspired street gloves as well that are nice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Whats up cuz! Good job on the install of the baja designs kit. I like the looks of those turn signals with the bike. Hope the build goes smoothly, and if you need any help lacing up those wheels I have a spoke torque wrench you can use that makes life a lot easier :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts