SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone see the new rules just released?

"A. For every division with the exception of the Pikes Peak 1205 division, all motorcycles
must use either DOT approved tires or DTII dirt track tires. In the event of inclement
weather, motorcycle rain tires will be approved at the discretion of the Assistant Director
of Competition or designee."

How did they go from basically open slicks with a couple grooves, to DOT only? If it's truly DOT, then those running 16.5's are gonna be having a hard time.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Anyone see the new rules just released?

"A. For every division with the exception of the Pikes Peak 1205 division, all motorcycles
must use either DOT approved tires or DTII dirt track tires. In the event of inclement
weather, motorcycle rain tires will be approved at the discretion of the Assistant Director
of Competition or designee."

How did they go from basically open slicks with a couple grooves, to DOT only? If it's truly DOT, then those running 16.5's are gonna be having a hard time.
That is total crap - nobody makes a really good DOT tire for supermoto - For bigger bikes yes - for SM bikes no - And yes - most racers are on 16.5 so that make it that much more of a pain in the butt. This is why Gary Trachy made 2012 his last year at Pikes. It is a race and you should be able to run race tires. Too many rules with the new management. Grooved slicks should be fine. Nobody makes a matched set of 17 DOT for supermoto that are good enough for a racer to ride balls to the wall and have enough grip

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
^^^+1 What sense does that make.... Now it's pointless to build a high hp bike to get up the hill, if there no way to put the power to the ground.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sent an email to the race director. If I'm going to spend $700 for entry, I really want to be able to run my setup with decent tires.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been back and forth with Jim Vidmar about this. I too run a 16.5 and I'm furious about this rule. I've got email after email asking for some sort of rationale and they either have none (my opinion) or refuse to give it. I feel like I can't get any farther with it alone. If we want this to change, it's gonna take a group effort. I'm asking all Pikes Peak racers past, present and future to make your concerns known. Be respectful but persistent. This is a safety[/B] issue.

Scott-You know so many of the Cali racers. Please spread the word.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They said they would get back to me sometime this week. I'll post up as soon as I have a response. Honestly I wouldn't mind if I had to groove my tires to look like a pilot power to pass tech. It's my own safety at this point, I'm not running DOT tires on 220lb race bike up a cold mountain road.

·
Registered
342 Posts
They said they would get back to me sometime this week. I'll post up as soon as I have a response. Honestly I wouldn't mind if I had to groove my tires to look like a pilot power to pass tech. It's my own safety at this point, I'm not running DOT tires on 220lb race bike up a cold mountain road.
I got a definative no. I've heard a few people say "groove up a slick" but I think that's the wrong approach. I'm competing for a win and possibly a new record so I have to do it within the rules. We shouldn't have to circumvent the rules to be safe. We need to get the rule changed.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Bet it is an insurance thing. What racer is going to spend the $ and time to go to the Peak and not have a set of race rains in the truck in case the weather goes bad. Three years I've been I had my slicks and a set of rains ready to go. Same as any SM race I'd go to expecting it might get wet.

IMO they should also add a tire warmer paddock right at the start line. Get a local rental company to sponsor a BIG generator for everyone to plug into. Then everyone could have warm tires for the run. Good idea I think.

Safety concerns with practice need to be addressed also. Everyone running together last year is what lead to my breaking of my leg. Super fast 1200 riders should not be mixed in with say 250's.

Hate to say it but I am done with the Peak, this year was a tough one for me there. Good luck guys and be as safe as you can.

·
Registered
248 Posts
moral support

For sure there are no 16.5 DOT tires so that is an automatic $5-600 wheel ( if you find a tire for the rear) upgrade in addition to the up entry fee. I could tell from the tone the last few years the DOT thing was coming. Now an interesting thing is that some how the Dirt track tire lobby gets to slide through on their old setups using tires that are totally not designed or in anyway suited for asphalt :hmmm: For me I had already decided last year was my last as a rider at the hill climb so I can use my stash of 16.5's in other ways :rolleyes:
good luck with this
Geoff

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The rules are stupid becuse they are going to allow the big bikes to run cut slicks but not the smaller classes. Hmm - I wonder why that is so. I bet the hill does not want to miss out on Ducati bring in the $ and the riders and I know if they are told you have to run DOT's, they will not show up. And the big bike class is the only class where they make a really good DOT race tire.

How do they exect to attract PRO riders if they will not let the Pros run Pro tires. There were no issues with tires in 2012 regarding cut slicks. I was thinking about racing for fun but not now - I will not race wide up up the hill on sub-par DOT street tires. NOBODY makes a DOT race tire that is close to or soft as a Supermoto Slick.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I feel like they will end up changing it. Remember last year they had stringent rules about how a slick had to be cut, then there was a revision to the rulebook that just said, 'no full slicks' and you just had to put a couple slits in the tire and you were good.

There's no way in hell any decent rider will even consider going up the hill with a DOT, and I'm sure this is going to become pretty apparent to the officials over the next couple months as people voice their concerns.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Man I hope they see the light but I hope we don't have to compromise on "supermoto slicks". This would still effectively ban a 16.5 front wheel. We, as racers, who are risking our lives on this race, should be able to use any wheel and tire combination that makes us feel safe and confident. It's fair for everyone and only enhances the competition. Spectators want to see us go fast but not get hurt.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got a response. They are meeting Tuesday to discuss it and I should hear back from them on Wednesday.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We're clear for 100% fun boys. No more tire rule.

I knew they would listen up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts