SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 298 Posts

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after my last project thread for the berg, I thought I might start up a new one for the new toy as I had a bit of fun with the last one!

I still have the 570, however almost all the trick bits are all off the bike and sold and its back to mostly stock. I would have liked to have had it sold by now, but unfortunately it needs new main bearings so I'll be rebuilding it over the summer break. I think it still looks pretty good though, (and still road registered!) :)

Even though the motor is stock (with seat hole cut and DNA filter) I have the custom tune map still running on it, and it is really impressive how the bike pulls!

Anyway.... so back in June/July I heard rumours of a new KTM SMR in the works and spoke to a few people in the know. Even though I loved my Husaberg, it was on the heavy side and was a handful to muscle around on track, and the numbers seem to be dwindling in the local open class races, where as the 450's had a full field. So a Fuel Injected KTM 450 would suit me sweet! I placed an order with my dealer before even seeing any official photos of the bike (because there weren't any!) and was told I would have the bike sometime in 2012.

So many months later...Its here! :D

Was cool being able to unpack my new toy from its crate... it is almost Christmas after all..

The wooden handlebars were a nice feature.

Was awesome to finally see it in the flesh. Just lifting it off the palette it felt really light. The stock front forks feel nice and firm but still a little plush; a lot smother than the 570's. I'm not sure what changes they've made but the forks feel god (although Im yet to ride it!)

Since I knew I was getting a new bike for nearly half a year, I have been buying lots of bits n pieces to bolt on for when it arrived. There is a stack of anodized parts because I am a total bling whore and I love to burn money...:bannana:

I have a few leftover parts from the berg build; brembo caliper & master cylinder and the akra slipon, which I am hoping fits.. Also a DNA filter, coolant containment and sprockets.

The bike comes with some plastic hand guards but I wasn't a fan of em, so..

I was a little dissapointed to find out that the '13 is just a MX frame/swingarm with slicks etc as I was kind of hoping KTM were going back to the 2008-2010 SMR with the modified frame and swinger, so I got in contact with Franco Mollo @ MTR KTM and had many many many emails talking about the new bikes and how to make em better. Franco was incredibly helpful and very friendly and it was always a pleasure talking shit about bikes with him, even with his broken english.
So I ended up buying a swingarm, linkage, sliders and adjustable shock foot from him (the shock length needs to be longer in order to run the different supermoto link.)

My precious..

I have just a few more things planned for it but they havent arrived yet.

In the meantime.....

...off to the painters.

· Registered
187 Posts
Love my 2012 SMR 450....curious to see what you do, have fun :thumbup:

· Registered
446 Posts
Ohh yeah if this is anything like you're last thread. We're in a for a good one, best of luck! I'll be in for the updates.

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so what's keeping ya from sending your frame off to MTR for a little work? :D

also, I need to stop looking at pics of that swinger...
To be honest, after having such lengthy talks with Franco, the thought of sending the frame off to MTR hadnt crossed my mind. He changes the head angle by 1 degree. At the time, I worked out what that would be in +trail, and it didn't seem significant enough to justify it. Franco runs 14mm offset clamps with the adjusted head angle. Im sure I can get the same amount of trail with clamps or bushings. Plus my name isn't Van Den Bosch. I did take the frame to a guy that makes the roll cages for a lot of the Aussie V8 Supercars and asked him to brace the frame. He couldn't work out why I wanted it, as in his opinion, the bracing wouldn't make the frame any more rigid as the engine mounts as fairly close together anyway. So I didn't bother with that either. The swingarm however... I remember how much my 570 changed when I flipped the axle blocks 180 degrees and shortened my wheelbase a bit. I think I will notice that difference :)

I can't stop looking at the swinger either :p

Love that swingarm :thumbup:, is that home made or what ??, looking forward to this one :)
So all the MTR parts are bought directly from MTR..

http://www.motoracingsupermotard.it/categorie.php?category=4

Send em an email if you are interested!

Im pretty sure they have a few ex race bikes for sale too, all kitted out in ohlins gear and worked motors. Very hawt.

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol Q3..

I managed to get all of the MTR parts, delivered to Australia for around 3k. Its not too bad considering just the Suter swingarm is like 4k new.

Im really keen to see how this different linkage works out. I fluctuate between 95-100kg in my riding gear, so with the normal linkage I would probably want a 60 rear spring. But with the MTR link I'll be running a 52, according to Franco.

1 - 20 of 298 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.