SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening gents (and ladies!!), I'm new to the forum and have a problem (reason for registering!!) Two years back, bought an MX and converted to Supermoto. Have not raced it, because I got a hip replacement after my first Track weekend; day two!! No that's not my problem; here goes: I have no spark and my electrical knowledge suck!! I can rebuild a Superbike motor, but this electrical issue I can't solve!! I have a workshop manuel for 09-10. I don't know if 2013 is the same (can't find one). I used a Fluke 87 V to test the alternator and ignition coil (according to 2010 model??). On the alternator I tested #1CKP 236 ohm; #2CKP 235.7 ohm and Alt 1.9 ohm.

The "peak voltage" I used the min/max feature on testing #1 and #2 (I don't have the special adaptor and I don't know if this can be done without the adaptor???) AC Volts measured; #1 1.0-43V; #2 0.7-125.5V (when using kick starter by hand!).

Ignition coil measures 2.5 ohm.

The bike was running fine after in 5th gear top end (Testing a overflow mod); my fellow rider (wife) got left behind and I slowed down, so she could catch up. I eventually pulled over; the bike idled irregular and cut out; could not start it again!! I would appreciate any help, and please excuse my stupidity!!

For interest sake; if anybody would like; I can give more detail (and pics) on this rebuild should anybody be interested. Major mods: 17 inch rims (cush hub rear) KTM 690 SMR; front end: complete (even tripple T's) WP 450 KTM SMR; one of a kind (mod) WP 450 KTM SMR rear shock. (had to modify Airbox and intake). Complete awesome oil catch system.

Thanks all, appreciate!!!
Barry
South Africa

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Electrical issues can suck to work through. Few questions.

1. Are you sure you have no spark? Pull the plug and connect it back while leaning it against the engine or frame. Kick it over and see if you have spark.
2. Check the coil trigger which should be on the stator plate under the engine cover. Its not likely a charging issue.

3. Check the primary and secondary resistance of the coil( i dont know if the 2013 has a coil on plug) and its frame ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Electrical issues can suck to work through. Few questions.

1. Are you sure you have no spark? Pull the plug and connect it back while leaning it against the engine or frame. Kick it over and see if you have spark.
2. Check the coil trigger which should be on the stator plate under the engine cover. Its not likely a charging issue.

3. Check the primary and secondary resistance of the coil( i dont know if the 2013 has a coil on plug) and its frame ground.
Thunks bud, will double check!! Appreciate your answer!! Hooch clearly didn't read that my electrical knowledge suck!! Will fiddle over the weekend!!!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
No problem. I did look and the 2013 to 16 have a standard ignition coil but it is a different part number than 09. The primary and secondary ohm ranges will probably be similar though.

I did have an issue one time where a coil seemed ok and ran until it got hot so sometimes those numbers can be deceiving. Also note that the coil is grounded to the frame but your kill switch grounds out the coil. I have seen kill switches go bad and ground the spark which looks like a bad coil. So check that too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem. I did look and the 2013 to 16 have a standard ignition coil but it is a different part number than 09. The primary and secondary ohm ranges will probably be similar though.

I did have an issue one time where a coil seemed ok and ran until it got hot so sometimes those numbers can be deceiving. Also note that the coil is grounded to the frame but your kill switch grounds out the coil. I have seen kill switches go bad and ground the spark which looks like a bad coil. So check that too.
Used this link to check MIL code;

I have a code 19 #1 Crankshaft pos sensor. Also tested continuity between ECM and Stator plug (#1CKP: Bu/Yellow; G/White. Alternator: Yellow) Have continuity between all (don't know if this is good or bad!!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shift, my issue is resolved; #1 CKP sensor bolts came loose. One fell out; luckily no damage!! Thanks for your help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts