SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, totally new to this. so i apologize now if this has been covered. I have a 2013 crf450r that I would like to convert to a street tard. I know about the new stater and getting the lights ect, so my main question would this be a money pit. I was told by my dirt bike shop that being the bike isn't made for street that i would just totally ruin the motor ect. has anyone done this? is it realistic? thanks

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hey guys, totally new to this. so i apologize now if this has been covered. I have a 2013 crf450r that I would like to convert to a street tard. I know about the new stater and getting the lights ect, so my main question would this be a money pit. I was told by my dirt bike shop that being the bike isn't made for street that i would just totally ruin the motor ect. has anyone done this? is it realistic? thanks

First question is can you plate it where you live?

Yes it will be a rolling money pit and also a time pit, I had an 04 450r on the street back then and it was a maintenance heavy bike. I was doing weekly oil changes, with a filter every other week. An 04 needs a new piston, according to the shop manual at 23 hours.I would do it at 100 on the street and i was doing track days too. Valve adjustments every 3 months And you waste it riding in heavy traffic. It'll overheat too in stop and go. You might need to rig up a radiator fan setup too. In three summers of riding I had to rebuild the top end 3 times and the bottom end twice, so it go expensive too...

But other than that, the bike will be a handful on the street especially if you build it with powerful brakes and sticky tires... Mine I never enjoyed riding hung over, you kind of have to be "on it", as its too much of a handful on the street; wheelies every time you roll on the gas, and effortless 1 finger stoppies into every light as the bike is so light and soooo powerful. It was so much fun to ride though, it'll wheelie in every gear from just a roll on and in 5th at lower rpms the front floats in the wind in a wheelie so smoothly. I learned riding that thing (probably because its so light) that you can weight one footpeg in a stoppie and have the back of the bike kick over to that side so that you're rolling all crossed up. i had a whole separate supermoto front brake setup so that i could swap the bike back to stock dirt mode and go dirt biking. i built my own wiring loom and put connectors at the front and back so that i could pull off the street tail with all the LED stuff bolted to it, and toss on the dirt tail for a track day or dirt bike day.

If you can afford it, do it, but it'll rape your VISA but you'll have a massive grin on your face

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. So my situation is I would be in town 20 miles a day total of ride time. I'm already the guy who changes his oil everyone I ride. I know "excessive" but I just always have. So that part isn't a pain to me. So outside of sprockets, there's no way to re gear it. And also with that little of ride time do you think I'll still just do crazy money into?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Thanks for the response. So my situation is I would be in town 20 miles a day total of ride time. I'm already the guy who changes his oil everyone I ride. I know "excessive" but I just always have. So that part isn't a pain to me. So outside of sprockets, there's no way to re gear it. And also with that little of ride time do you think I'll still just do crazy money into?

Its a racing engine designed to draw peak HP at the cost of heavy maintenance. Think about time, not distance. Then think 100 hours (not sure what your 2013 manual says for rebuild hours- mine said it needed a new piston at 23 hours but I milked it a bit and it would be doing frequent valve adjusts as it goes sideways fast). It won't like idling in bridge on-ramps. It will overheat when in heavy traffic. If you rig up your own wiring system, it will need a battery as it will idle too low to power LEDs, say at a stop light.

If you've got a route where it can just run and you're moving the whole time then its good as you need to keep air flowing through the radiators (or rig up a fan). I think I liked 14/40 for my old gearing. You slip the clutch to about mid-intersection, then I used to top out at around 100 MPH. There used to be a company Baja Designs, that made a new set of 3-5th transmission gears for the CRF back in the day; they stopped making the kit. My buddy had it in his CRF450r and said that they were made out of frozen butter. Caused him a lot of headaches. Oh and smaller rear sprocket means that you need to swap out that swing arm chain slider a couple of times a summer or the chain will be grinding your swingarm. I had a longer dirt chain and a shorter street chain (physical size of rear sprockets).

So the bike was a money pit for me cause I put a lot into it for nice components, but then had to also pay all the high maintenance costs. I ride a DRZ400SM these days, I've regeared it so its a bit more fun, but I miss the power of the CRF, not the maintenance. I'm right there in the turns but get dropped by the big SM's on the straights, although I can usually catch them on the brakes these days. Back in 2005 I had a lot of spare time on my hands to spend an hour or two here or there on the weekends to wrench on the bike. These days its hard to find the time, and if I can find the time, I'd rather be out riding than wrenching, and I get dramatically more of that with the dead reliable DRZ.

Not saying you shouldn't, just want you to be aware of what you're getting yourself into. For me, its all about getting out there...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice bike man. Again, thanks for all the info. Everything you've said is about the same as what I'm hearing from everyone else. I actually clocked it and my commute would be 1.5 miles each way. So a totally of 3 miles a day. I know it sounds stupid/maybe a waste of money. But I Have a new baby and can't ride, but don't wanna sell the bike but don't wanna just look at it either, so thats why i was wanting to use it for that. A short short trip is Better then nothing was my thought. And my mechanic seems to think around town would be like trail riding my bike. But at this point I don't know lol. I did find a great company out of Canada that make everything for race bike to street tard conversion. Complete wire harnesses ect ect. Oh my manual says 100 hrs on the rebuild. Got more pics of your bike?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts