SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Been racing supermoto on 4 strokes for 7 years now, so it was time to try something different, so this summer i bought an SX380 from 2000 and
made it ready for some supermoto.... ..and what a powerfull engine, most fun i had in a long time:lol: ....only the chassis let me down some, it
was quite soft and made the bike flex a lot.

Pic of my SX 380

One way to fix the flexing chassis is to put the old 380 engine in a new bike, simple..:hmmm: maybe not simple but definitely possible as others
have already proved including a certain mr. J. Jasinski who just happed to win the 2012 German supermoto championchip for the big bikes, on
a Husaberg with this concept.

So i bought this one, a used 2012 SX 250 in good condition.

First step was to rebuild the 380 to MX for storage and take out the engine

Then it was time for the SX250...

...... and that was the easy part, let the games begin....:bannana:

·
Registered
41 Posts
OMG another 380.
I have to sell mine 380 and buy something else. Because soon everyone will be such ride:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time to mount the engine, it would be easy just to relocate the original brackets but i want the possibility to re-mount the original 250 engine in the unthinkable case that i schould have a failure on the 380.
So instead im going to weld some treaded bushes in the frame, 2 on each side for the middle brackets and 3 on each side for the front brackets, there is the biggest difference between the 250 and 380 so the 2 lower holes are for the 250 and the 2 upper holes are for the 380.

first i made a tool for marking where the bushes schould be

Then i drilled the holes for the busches.

With this small tool i got the bushes alligned so i could secure them with a spot of tig-welding.

The welding process is a little more complicated, first it is important to heat the frame around the welding area to min 100 degrees celcius.

With some special fillerwire (thermanit x) i then tig-welded the bushes and quickly insulated the area so it diddent cool too fast.

This little job takes longer than you can imagine, next up is brackets.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Why so intensive welding the bushings? is it steel, cro-moly? reason for the preheat? whats the bushing material?

z

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Why so intensive welding the bushings? is it steel, cro-moly? reason for the preheat? whats the bushing material?

z
Bushings are common construction steel, frame is crome-moly, the reason for preheating is to prevent cold steel from absorbing the heat from the welding and thereby weakening the welding. This is very likely overkill, but i want to be certain that i did the bedst i could do :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Bushings are common construction steel, frame is crome-moly, the reason for preheating is to prevent cold steel from absorbing the heat from the welding and thereby weakening the welding. This is very likely overkill, but i want to be certain that i did the bedst i could do :)
Thats what i thought, the preheating is probably a good idea to minimize heat input during the welding and prevent cracking of the cro-mo.

nice work
z

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
finished the brackets for both engines, just need to engrave info of position and what engine the specific bracket is for, then it is off to a coat of metalizing.

Cleaned up the frame ready for stripping of the orange powdercoating so it can be re-painted in the original black.

What a b!tch to disasemble the Y-pipe in the frame. First forced the rubber of the Y-pipe (no damage) with a big flat screwdriver, then i heated the Y-pipe with my torch to break the glue on the tread, then i could unscrew the long pipe with a costum made tool...:thumbup:

Made a quick engine stand.

Painted it black and mounted the engine.

Engine ready for a proper overhaul....:D

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.