SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the local KTM dealer (Ohio) to take test ride of the 690 Enduro R. I want to love this bike because I believe it is the perfect bike for my riding prefference. I have an 07 DRZ400S and an 00 SV650. The DRZ is much more fun to ride in every way except at prolonged highway speeds. It has short legs due to its 5 sp trans and its vibration level at 70 will make your hands and feet numb. The SV does highway fine but I don't like the ergonomics, the suspension is poor and it is not as fun in the twisties.
The 690 enduro had everything I was looking for except it had a resonate vibration between 4-5Krpm. It was enought to make the mirrors and exhaust heat sheild vibrate. The mirrors appeared to be moving about .20" total (.1 in each direction). This was enough to make me not want to buy it on the spot. I do not want a bike that causes numbness. My question is: does anyone else experience this vibtation? It is a deal breaker for me as I need to be able to do 70mph on the highway to get to the fun riding areas. I noticed the suspension felt like it was set to full hard. I am 230lbs so I know it was not the spring rate but probably compression and rebound adjustment. Could this have been a factor in the vibration I experienced?

Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have the SMC rather than the enduro version and haven't noticed the excessive vibes you mention. Done lots of highway miles without thinking it was too much.
Maybe the dirt tires are contributing to the vibes - Is it just on the highway that you notice it?
And yes, the stock suspension is too harsh and clickers won't fix it. It needs springs and a revalve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the clutch in and free reved the engine to make sure it was not the knobbies. There was a distinct vibration around 4K it subsided and then again at 5K.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is a big single. So it's going to vibrate. No two ways about it but there are thing that can be done to help. One being gearing changes. This will move the vibes to another rpm range or smooth out the bike. The enduro has short gearing so if you are using it on the road mostly. You could drop a few teeth on the rear. different bar mounts. They have bar mount with rubber cushions it's supposed it reduce the vibes felt in the bars. Bar end plugs. Like the ones that come stock on DRZ's help weight the end of the bars to reduce the vibes softer grips. there are prob. A few more tricks out there.
Mine was an enduro that I made into an SMC. I can cruse all day at 70 no prob. 83 is the sweet spot before the vibes and wind start coming into play. I'm runing a 16/44 with 17's. I'm also looking to stiffen my front spring rate. As it dives too much for me under aggressive braking. And I'm 150 lbs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just picked up a 2012 690 r enduro last friday ... I allready have a 09 SMC to compare it with and have not noticed any abnormal vibration . You do notice the presence of knobby tires out side of that a solid machine .
It even has a 100 mph test decal just above the ignition key area .

·
Registered
111 Posts
100mph test decal? :headscrat

I have a 2011 SMC and the stock mirrors vibrate like crazy above 50 as you say... apart from that though its just a typical thumper, smoother than my old DRZ but still vibrates. I love the gearing, it's brilliant, 6th is actually pretty useless for anything other than cruising along... otherwise there isn't a whole lot of pull at lower speeds, you have to knock down a few years and away you go, clinging to the handlebars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Think the 100 mph decal is more of a do not exceed 100 mph , figure someone had to do it in order to tell you not too ... LOL Bad things could happen ... LOL
If I remember I will snap a pic and post it .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I went ahead and bought the 12 Enduro 690 Saturday. I sat on it and free revved the engine not noticing any abnormal vibes. Trucked it home and put some miles on it. The first and second time I rode it, it did not shake the mirrors. The third time I rode it did. The fourth time it did not and the fifth time it did. I put an hour on it without stopping and noticed not ill effects on my hands and feet (the DRZ would have me numb by then). The sensation of vibrations seems to have more amplitude with a lower frequency compared to the DRZ. Either way it is more tolerable than the DRZ. I am not sure why it comes and goes but I have read a couple different accounts of peopling who mod the air box, install different slip-ons & remap and experience a reduction in vibrations. I know it is not the tires because I can pull the clutch, retune to idle and mirrors are clear again. The fact that is can get better or worse makes me think it is not purely mechanical. Any thoughts?
I ordered a set of vibranators to see if they clear the mirrors up. I will let you know if it helps. They have a money back guarantee so it’s just time and shipping loss if they don’t.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would say it's just you, and a new bike. You'll get used to it. Vibes don't really come....and go. They come and stay. I have a 690 duke, and rode a 690 enduro 1k miles around costa rica, neither has/had any unusual vibes, and unless a motor mount is loose, then tightening up, it's probably normal. If you really want to appreciate it, just find a 625 to ride for a while, you'll have a new appreciation for it.

Congrats though, very nice bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A lot of bikes have issues with stock mirrors vibrating or being crap in general, I don't see why you're making such a huge deal of it. Returning a bike over rubbish mirrors :lol: You should be used to compromise if you have a DRZ too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of bikes have issues with stock mirrors vibrating or being crap in general, I don't see why you're making such a huge deal of it. Returning a bike over rubbish mirrors :lol: You should be used to compromise if you have a DRZ too.
I never said I was going to return the bike. It is not a huge deal. I am interested in why some people claim they have a clean view from the mirrors and other do not (like me). Are there better, more vibration resistant mirrors out there?

·
Registered
374 Posts
KTM makes a bar riser with built in vibration absorbing dampers ... I like Rizomo classic bar end mirror are one of the best mirrors I ever had ... not cheap at 100 + bucks each .
Mirrors don't belong in the dirt , if anything you want a mirror close to the the bars ... most of the time tree branches seemed to get caught up in the antenna like mirrors , or just rip them off .

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a DRZ and a WR250R before getting the 690 R. The 690 definitely vibrates more than either of those bikes, but it's to be expected with MUCH larger single cylinder engine. I put some anti-vibe Rox Risers on and switched the mirrors out for some Aprilia Tuono mirrors I had laying around the garage. The stock mirrors on the R are flimsy and weak compared to what came on the SMC. The mirrors are still blurry at 50 mph or more, but it's not bad.

Congratulations on the purchase. Your going to like this bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

I installed a set of "Vibranators" today. They claim a 50-75% reduction in vibes. I experienced about a 20% increase in vibes. Don't waste your time or money on these if you are installing them on a 690 with the factory Renthal Fat Bars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can say the Continental TKC 80 tires are more aggressive than what the DRZ400s comes with if your comparing them that way ...
Sounds like a SMC with a Avon distanzia would be a better choice . I have found in the past black top tares up the more aggressive dirt tires really fast for me .
I guess is comes down to tire now if the bar dampening is not working .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I plan to install a set of Heidenau K60 tires which should help with tire induced vibration. having said that I did a stationary test after the road test with the Vibranators revealed increased vibrations. I ran the engine between 4700-5100 where the majority of the vibrations come through. I removed one of the vibranators and felt a distinct decrease in vibrations on that side.

The vibrations do not bother me physically. I can ride without fatigue or numbness. I just wanted clear mirrors at highway speeds. It give me something to experiement with and that is half the fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Debating getting 08 SMC or 2012 690 Enduro R

Need some advice, price right on the smc, plan to do fire roads light dirt / city should I get enduro or SMC? Is there any issues I should be worried about 08 690?
Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 22 Posts