SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Im looking to get a drz400. I really want a sm, but as I'm sure most of you know they are no longer for sale new in the US.
Does anyone have any experience getting one imported from Canada? Looking to see if anyone has actually tried it and what kind of costs/ paperwork hassle I'm looking at.

p.s. i know a can just get a drz400s and build my own. but with the way I work Im just looking to get one out of the box if possible.

thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
^^I came in just to say that!
For the trouble of buying new and 'importing' into the US I dont think its worth it...only my opinion.
If this is really what you want to do then by all means it can be done and enjoy!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their a little over 1k more than a US s model. I'm thinking of either doin the import or getting a new s and converting.
So To convert I would need
Rims
Speedo cable
New sprockets to counter rim
Possible bigger front brake kit

So I guess what I'm really asking is converting a new S model to sm cheaper than spending an extra 1-1.5k getting one from Canada.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
not possible bigger brake...u need a bigger rotor and caliper relocater bracket lol the lil rotor wont cut it :thumbup: wont the speedo be off if its a dirt conversion to 17's? if so, just get a vapor :bannana: also id get new forks, i hated riding with the dirt forks but thats just me....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea like dark side is saying. im newer to bike so my lingo is off haha.
So all those changes probably easily a grand or 2. I'm gonna be in niagra Sunday and Monday so I'll be talkin to a dealer there. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get back.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
keep an eye on the bike parts forsale section. ive seen complete rims etc for under 2k easy

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Ok, so I kinda get where the OP is going with this.
2 questions... 1- is NEW that important to you? 2- what is the real cost of importing?
Bc if new is not that important then just buy a decent used one for about half what you're about to spend on a new one.

If the cost of importing is say $1500 (no idea, just making up a number) then that kinda makes as much sense as buying a new S and converting and then technically it's still not new.

The other option is look at a new Husky or maybe a KTM, you may be able to find something in the $8-9k range.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
2 questions... 1- is NEW that important to you? 2- what is the real cost of importing?
Bc if new is not that important then just buy a decent used one for about half what you're about to spend on a new one.

If the cost of importing is say $1500 (no idea, just making up a number) then that kinda makes as much sense as buying a new S and converting and then technically it's still not new.

The other option is look at a new Husky or maybe a KTM, you may be able to find something in the $8-9k range.
+1 on the get a huksy or ktm instead of throwing good money at an old design drz.

the drz has been around for ages, if a sm is what you're looking for and actually considering spending more than it's worth, a ktm/husky just makes much more sense.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so Canada trip fell through. But i did talk to a auto transport/import company and here is the info I gathered.

I will need a letter from manufacture(Suzuki) sayin the vehicle complies with current EPA emissions standard.
4% import duties.
$100 brokerage fee

Then it will be ready for a state title and DMV bs.

I'm think I gonna take your alls advice and just shop around for something local. So now I'm back to square one on what bike to get. (reading other threads presently)
Thanks all for the input

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hijacking this thread... sorry

If new isnt important you can get my DRZ for 4k. It was an S model which was fully converted to SM,

Forks, Triples, Wheels, New Rear Conti SM tire, Jetted, 3x3'd, Yoshi pipe, RK chain, 41 tooth sprocket, SM Acerbis front fender, Barkbusters, Pro Taper Charmicheal bars, bar end mirrors, Zeta rubber killers, and only 64XX miles

and you will also get,
18/21 wheels, new rear deathwing, new tubes in both, the old forks and triples in excellent condition and 2 helmets, Alpinestars jacket with armor. 44 tooth sprocket and all the brake bits from the S model

I am only interested in selling this one so that I can get a bigger SM or possibly converting a WR450...

I can email pics, PM me if you might be interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts