SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, recently completed an EVO2 install on my new 690, but have some questions not covered in the instructions.

1.) Hose from Oil Separator to Air Box...instructions say to disconnect (makes sense, airbox being deleted) but then don't say what to do with the open valve from the oil separator. Just left it open?

Picture of what I'm talking about.

I tried plugging it off, but apparently that was the wrong move because after riding for about 50ft the clutch cover forcefully separated itself from the bike. So this obviously means it's venting positive pressure from either the crankcase or the valve cover which is not being redirected back through the other hose. (one-way valve?). Do you just let it vent to atmosphere? I zip tied a piece of cloth over it and went on a 100 mile ride and when I got back the cloth was saturated with oil. Not dripping or anything major, but definitely moist and brown. I ride through a lot of dusty areas, so I have concerns about just leaving it open as in the picture.

2.) The instructions say to mount the air filter to the "racing" bracket show in the picture below with a supplied bolt, but on my 2012, there's like 1/2" between the end of the filter and the bracket. On other EVO2 installs I've seen they seem to mate fairly well.

If I mount the filter to the bracket it doesn't reach the TB.

Anyone else have this issue with their filter?

·
Registered
97 Posts
1. The engine breathes from both hoses, valve cover and crank case. The hoses go to the catch tank, and if it build ups oil in the catch tank the oil is going down to the crank case, so you don´t loose oil. And then the engine breathes trough the catch tank and to atmosphere. Off course it will come some oil out of it, depends on riding style. I just installed an 30 cm long hose and routed it downwards. Some oil is coming out but not much, don´t think there is much dirt going upwards.

You did plug one of the holes from the valve cover? Described in the evo 2 install procedures. Be careful not to switch places for the hoses for the valve cover ventilation going to the catch tank and the one going to the SAS valve (secondary air system, the one you need to plug).

2. I had the same issue like you with the bracket and air filter. I just installed the filter without the bracket and it works good without it. The filter does not weigh that much.:hmmm:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and the info. Looks like I'll be fitting a hose to it as you did.

Almost glad I wasn't able to use the bolt to fit the filter to the bracket. I didn't have the greatest feeling about sticking something on the inside of my filter that could work its way out and have a direct line to my valve train.

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
859 Posts
how do you like the EVO2 cam on the newer 690 engine?

does it feel soft and slow in the lower RPM's than before? It definitely does on the previous 653cc version, wondering if the bump in displacement makes any difference with that cam. That cam has too much lift duration to make good power in the lower half of the revs. Maybe longer stroke helps incoming cylinder fill velocity some? I'm needing to make a decision on going with stock cam (which I think I am going to do) or try the EVO2 cam again when my engine goes back to together with the newer longer stroke crank. Pain in butt because you have to drop engine to replace cam so I'm hoping to make the right choice the first time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
how do you like the EVO2 cam on the newer 690 engine?

does it feel soft and slow in the lower RPM's than before? It definitely does on the previous 653cc version, wondering if the bump in displacement makes any difference with that cam. That cam has too much lift duration to make good power in the lower half of the revs. Maybe longer stroke helps incoming cylinder fill velocity some? I'm needing to make a decision on going with stock cam (which I think I am going to do) or try the EVO2 cam again when my engine goes back to together with the newer longer stroke crank. Pain in butt because you have to drop engine to replace cam so I'm hoping to make the right choice the first time.

I tired à friends 690 smc r with evo 2 kit and i did not notice any loss of power in the lower revs. He runs a 15t front and his bike is a total monster!! I was so surprised , Ans When I returned to my bike I thought it ran as shit haha.

He is going to Dyno the bike next week with powercommander , I will try to get his results up here if he allows me.

Also he said that the cam can be installed without removing the engine , our Ktm dealer mounted his complete evo 2 kit in 3hours so it is possible but can be a pita until you figure out how to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't done the cam on mine yet because it didn't look like it could be done without dropping the motor. Plus every time I work on a bike I always end up with extra parts, which, when you're working inside a motor is never a good thing. :D

I would be interested in knowing how someone managed to do the swap without dropping the motor. On mine the frame is pretty well in the way of sliding the cam out. If I could find a way to do it without dropping the motor I would probably give it a go.

·
Registered
859 Posts
you might be able to do it by letting the front drop down and leaving the rear (swingarm spindle) attached, but it's still basically dropping the engine. You have to remove exhaust, radiator, and any lines, wiring cables, hoses that don't have enough slack to let it drop down. If you have a nice lift/bench and everything all easy and ready to go then 3-4 hours probably about right. If you are alone its a pain in butt to get engine back lined up, I needed a second set of hands, the swingarm spindle was a M'F'er to get back in. Took me a solid half a day to get the cam in and everything back together. Unfortunately I've been not happy with the cam after the effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts