SuperMoto Junkie banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Connectors Have Arrived

The 2 connectors i need to connect the fuel pump have arrived.

The 3 Pin connector Male / female

The 2 Pin/ 3 pin male

A rubber cable with 2 wires inside should do the trick

Adaptor Completed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
SX-F black tank

All problems seem to be sorted, so time to fit the tank.

Sx-f tank with the adapter installed, with black tape to protect it.

Next Problem......

All KTM exc range 2t and 4t have this thermo thing..... it has to go.

Plastics dont line up, so it needs to go

Thankfully samco sports have a kit to remove this, and its orange bling aswell :D

Theses are the old hoses

Thermo fan bracket removed, and electical thermostat switch removed

Right Radiator installed

Hoses Install Complete

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
2012 350 exc Supermoto Conversion complete

All done, sx-f tank was an obstacle, but thankfully it all works.

\/ \/ The fuel tank Works ! Video Below \/ \/

Theses Photos are without the orange hoses, ill post them up when i find some nice scenery :)

Oh and i got an Akrapovic

Bought the ktm user setting tool, ( EFI programmer)

Got ktm to load the sx-f base map, then i loaded the sx-f agressive map onto it.
Done a bit of playing around for the akrapovic, im getting about 160km on 7L which is good :D

But unfortunley the bike rumbles and pops, no backfiring and idea how i could get it to?

Whats Next for the bike.... Well the 350 has the same motor as the sx, just lower comp piston and 6 speed gearbox.
So im going to change out the piston to a 14.0:1 piston and if there is a cheap gearbox on ebay maybe....

But i was looking at this page...

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Revie...-KTM-FACTORY-SERVICE-350SXF-TOPHALF-7826.aspx

From that page

"decking the cylinder to raise the compression from 13.5:1 to 14:1, retiming the stock cams (by moving the cam sprocket)"
"They brought the peak horsepower number down from 12,300 rpm to 10,200 rpm, while increasing horsepower at every step along the curve."

Ktm's factory mod makes peak power at 10200 rpm instead of 12300 rpm. So on my next valve change if i move the sprocket one tooth forward should i see the same effect and also do i move both intake and exhaust cams one tooth together on just the intake?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I don't think they're retiming by moving the cams a complete tooth... advancing the cam timing is something they have been doing on the old RF4 450 motor. the cam sprockets are bolted to the cams, you can change the timing by undoing the bolts and moving the cam gears over ever so slightly but it requires the knowledge on how far you can go to have the desired positive effect and rather than making the valves contact the piston... the cam gears on the 350 are also bolted to the cams so they can be tuned the same way.

btw you sure the tank is sitting flush and it's not caught up on wires, the clutch/throttle cables or the frame/ tank supports? the allignement on the sxf and exc's should be identical so if something doesn't match up maybe the tank is not sitting down as far as it should.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't think they're retiming by moving the cams a complete tooth... advancing the cam timing is something they have been doing on the old RF4 450 motor. the cam sprockets are bolted to the cams, you can change the timing by undoing the bolts and moving the cam gears over ever so slightly but it requires the knowledge on how far you can go to have the desired positive effect and rather than making the valves contact the piston... the cam gears on the 350 are also bolted to the cams so they can be tuned the same way.

btw you sure the tank is sitting flush and it's not caught up on wires, the clutch/throttle cables or the frame/ tank supports? the allignement on the sxf and exc's should be identical so if something doesn't match up maybe the tank is not sitting down as far as it should.
As of the timing,I'll probs leave it and I'll probs bend the valves :anim_peep:

And as for the tank, after the hose upgrade it sat better, but I had a second look the spark plug lead was in the way. Now everything is flush :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok onto the wheels installation

Front wheel installed, With 320mm Relocator and black fork gaurds

Rear Wheel Installed,Chain(non o-ring) And Husaberg FS 570 smaller kick stand installed
I've gone for a 13t, 44t set up, Shall be interesting to see how the motor goes

Kick Stand Comparison
Original kick stand top
Husaberg Stand Bottom

Hi

Could you tell me where you found this small kick stand ? Could you give me the lenght i think
I Will cut my 500 exc of i cant find a smaller

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi

Could you tell me where you found this small kick stand ? Could you give me the lenght i think
I Will cut my 500 exc of i cant find a smaller

Thanks
Hi, the stand I purchased is off the husaberg fs570, if you want to buy the stand you need to go to a husaberg deal and give them this part number 81203023044. Otherwise the stand is roughly 370mm long, end to end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, the stand I purchased is off the husaberg fs570, if you want to buy the stand you need to go to a husaberg deal and give them this part number 81203023044. Otherwise the stand is roughly 370mm long, end to end.
After spending a lot of time considering all my options it looks like the 350exc is exactly what I want.
The only question I have is how many miles do you get between engine rebuilds. I know what they recommend in the service schedule but that is often on the conservative side.
Can anyone comment about engine durability?
Great work by the way.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
After spending a lot of time considering all my options it looks like the 350exc is exactly what I want.
The only question I have is how many miles do you get between engine rebuilds. I know what they recommend in the service schedule but that is often on the conservative side.
Can anyone comment about engine durability?

this little video 'ere should give you an idea of what an exc350 is capable of handling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en92zs8OXY4

if it can survive 50 hours at that pace, in those conditions with such little wear I can see it doing a whole lot more on a bike that's used on the street.

keep the air filter clean and properly installed, as well as changing the oil and filter on time and I could easily see a top end last 150 - 200 hours or even more on a bike that's supermoto'd. enduro bikes tend to see more punishment because they deal with a lot more dirt that can potentially make it's way into the engine, which in turn can cause more wear on the piston, rings and valves. a supermoto that's used on the street doesn't have that problem, unless you completely neglect air filter maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
this little video 'ere should give you an idea of what an exc350 is capable of handling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en92zs8OXY4

if it can survive 50 hours at that pace, in those conditions with such little wear I can see it doing a whole lot more on a bike that's used on the street.

keep the air filter clean and properly installed, as well as changing the oil and filter on time and I could easily see a top end last 150 - 200 hours or even more on a bike that's supermoto'd. enduro bikes tend to see more punishment because they deal with a lot more dirt that can potentially make it's way into the engine, which in turn can cause more wear on the piston, rings and valves. a supermoto that's used on the street doesn't have that problem, unless you completely neglect air filter maintenance.
That sounds good to me.
I don't plan to get a motard wheel set but I do plan to ride it on the road quite a bit.
Might need a cush drive hub.

·
Registered
50 Posts
nice job! This is an old thread so you may not still have the bike, but how did you handle the speedo setup? Did you just go with the incorrect ratio, or did you not connect the speedo cable?

I just bought an EXC 350 myself and want to set it up for supermoto track use, but I am not sure how to handle the speedometer and how it'll mount up to the hub with the smaller wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
looks awesome !

YOUR BIKE LOOKS AWESOME. I just got a 2014 ktm 350 excf. doing some supermoto changes o it.Did you have any trouble adjusting your speedo when you changed tires? mine is just showing 0, then turning off.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
YOUR BIKE LOOKS AWESOME. I just got a 2014 ktm 350 excf. doing some supermoto changes o it.Did you have any trouble adjusting your speedo when you changed tires? mine is just showing 0, then turning off.
Talk about reviving an old thread ... Hey Clifford, did you get that speedo sorted?

Your motard looks awesome man

1. What size is your rear tire and rim width?

2. What speeds have you been getting for cruise and top end?

I'm now choosing a KTM 350 xcf and want to get some idea what to elect as I'm definitely making a motard out of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
kickstand problem solved

Hey, I just encountered a kickstand being to long after sumo conversion on my 350sxf and I found a solution. I bout the moose kickstand then
I just cut it down, drilled it out and re threaded it. check out the pics...

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts