SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
curious as to what the third wire/fuel line does. the SXF only has 2 wires and fuel lines attached to the pump, the EXC has a 3 wire connecter and 3 lines. one feed and one return makes sense, but the third one...

btw, did the sxf tank come with a complete fuel pump assembly? and if yes, wouldn't it have been possible to swap over fuel pumps and base plates to solve the connecter issue with the parts at hand?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I don't think they're retiming by moving the cams a complete tooth... advancing the cam timing is something they have been doing on the old RF4 450 motor. the cam sprockets are bolted to the cams, you can change the timing by undoing the bolts and moving the cam gears over ever so slightly but it requires the knowledge on how far you can go to have the desired positive effect and rather than making the valves contact the piston... the cam gears on the 350 are also bolted to the cams so they can be tuned the same way.

btw you sure the tank is sitting flush and it's not caught up on wires, the clutch/throttle cables or the frame/ tank supports? the allignement on the sxf and exc's should be identical so if something doesn't match up maybe the tank is not sitting down as far as it should.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
After spending a lot of time considering all my options it looks like the 350exc is exactly what I want.
The only question I have is how many miles do you get between engine rebuilds. I know what they recommend in the service schedule but that is often on the conservative side.
Can anyone comment about engine durability?

this little video 'ere should give you an idea of what an exc350 is capable of handling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en92zs8OXY4

if it can survive 50 hours at that pace, in those conditions with such little wear I can see it doing a whole lot more on a bike that's used on the street.

keep the air filter clean and properly installed, as well as changing the oil and filter on time and I could easily see a top end last 150 - 200 hours or even more on a bike that's supermoto'd. enduro bikes tend to see more punishment because they deal with a lot more dirt that can potentially make it's way into the engine, which in turn can cause more wear on the piston, rings and valves. a supermoto that's used on the street doesn't have that problem, unless you completely neglect air filter maintenance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts