SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a leftover 2011 kx450f today. Wheels will be ordered tomorrow. Going with a 3.50 front and 5" rear. Any suggestions on gearing? The bike will not see a speck of dirt until its on a sm track. Will post pics as i get parts in and on. :cool::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an 06 450F all street tracker like and shit, lowered and what not. Any ways, I did a 43 tooth and I left the front alone. I have a 4 speed and I can cruise at 70 with the revs just starting to get to where I feel a little weird about them being there for too long. I like it a lot pulls super super hard and it still tears tire off the ground in 3rd no problem. I do have 19s front and rear though. DTR1 tire to be exact and a 120 in the front. Keep that in mind but it really depends on what you wanna do, cruise or "bar hop". I opted for a little in between. I love it and wish you could ride it to get a feel for what gearing you want. I love that you got a Kawi also!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its my race bike. Still waiting for my wheels too get here from motostrano. ill update then.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I wsas going to do 17s I would do a 43 in the rear and go up 1 in the front. You will probably have close to the same ratio as I have then. It works freally great I would recommend anyone to try it. You will like it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
What are your home tracks like? That is what determines gearing. Top speed reached? Slow corners? Fast sweepers? Dirt fast banked corners or flat dirt corners?
I am still not sure on gearing. I can tell you what i have on the bike when I get home. I will be running it at our fast track as long as it has a decent tope end capability. 85 or so on my 510 husky so i am expecting 90+ on the kawi.

·
Registered
71 Posts
105 with my current gearing all out flat out tapped. Not that holding it there is recommended, I did it to just really see how fast it would go. Super dumb and scary!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would expect it to do that all day long if it is stock.. :) What is the gearing you have now?

The gearing on the bike I bought used is a 51 rear 13 tooth front. Heading to a calculator now to try to figure it out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tracks im going to are tight no fast sweepers. Few banked dirt turns. Wheels im getting is coming with a 47t i figure ill try that with the 13 tooth front and go from there. 100+ i dont need. Wanna a gear i can i can come out of tight stuff in second. There is one road race track i plan on hitting that i would need that 100+ im sure ill have a good idea after i get everything mounted and rollin. Should have my setup next week hopefully.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would expect it to do that all day long if it is stock.. :) What is the gearing you have now?

The gearing on the bike I bought used is a 51 rear 13 tooth front. Heading to a calculator now to try to figure it out.
The bike did 85 -87 stock. 51 or 50 in the front, I forget and 13 in the front. It was hard to keep the tire on the ground for me riding in the streets. I would want to rip on it too much and end up losing speed. The way I geared it, I am ahead of my buddies R6 at the end of 2nd by a bike length. He walks on me after that. Really smooth power now and much better to ride. Pulls a lot harder since it is in each gear longer.

It will pull in second no matter what you do. the 47 might be a little too low, IMO. with 17s it will put you probably a little one 85 maybe. It was way more rideable with the gearing I did. 100+ is probably too much for your track but with 17s it might work out better with a 45 maybe. Just try and see.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 14 front on its way as well as offset 46, 47 and 49's. That should cover anything I am goin to ride. I suspect that once I find one that works i will stick with it. Good to know with 17's and stock gearing it did 85 or so. Thanks!

The bike did 85 -87 stock. 51 or 50 in the front, I forget and 13 in the front. It was hard to keep the tire on the ground for me riding in the streets. I would want to rip on it too much and end up losing speed. The way I geared it, I am ahead of my buddies R6 at the end of 2nd by a bike length. He walks on me after that. Really smooth power now and much better to ride. Pulls a lot harder since it is in each gear longer.

It will pull in second no matter what you do. the 47 might be a little too low, IMO. with 17s it will put you probably a little one 85 maybe. It was way more rideable with the gearing I did. 100+ is probably too much for your track but with 17s it might work out better with a 45 maybe. Just try and see.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, I am at the same point with the rear wheel/tire. I have a behr 5" and a 165 bridgestone and it is a no go..The chain guide mount is just too close. The sprocket also hits the chain guide mount. One of the guys I race against has a 5" and it rubs the chain and the swingarm. Never noticed if he had a chain guide.

So, for now, I oderered a 4.25 inch wide wheel this morning and it will be here wednesday. Warp 9 guys built and shipped it today after I called and asked if they could help get me to the track on saturday. Assuming the wheel shows up and is good then i give them props.

Over the winter, I plan on finding someone to work with to make a real swingarm that can hold the 5" and big tire with no issues. I also want to shortent it a bit. I will be starting with an oem one.

What are you thinking to fit a tire back there?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol yes im going to run a chain guide. so with the 165 slick its a no go too? by how much? the 160/60 003 is so tight on the brake side the wheel doesnt spin. I know with the bstone slicks they tend too run a bit slimmer then a street tire does. Id be interested in your swingarm adventure. That 165 on a 4.25" is going to be super pinched. Not sure thats a good alternative. We will see ill have slicks in a week our so and ill go from there. guy i got the wheels from ran metzler drifts in a 160 variant with no problems.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looks good, even if it maynot be 100% functional it looks good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is basically touching. It left marks just from me spinning it to check clearence. I did have extra clearence on the chain side however. Not much though. Maybe an 1/8th of an inch to the chain. Clse enough that it would hit the tire while running. I just measured the overall width of the bridgestone mounted on the 5" Behr at 6.25" if that helps you. I measured using two straight edges across the diameter of the tire on each side giving a clear gap to measure. It is a 165/625-17 Bridgestone Supermoto.

lol yes im going to run a chain guide. so with the 165 slick its a no go too? by how much? the 160/60 003 is so tight on the brake side the wheel doesnt spin. I know with the bstone slicks they tend too run a bit slimmer then a street tire does. Id be interested in your swingarm adventure. That 165 on a 4.25" is going to be super pinched. Not sure thats a good alternative. We will see ill have slicks in a week our so and ill go from there. guy i got the wheels from ran metzler drifts in a 160 variant with no problems.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I won't know on my bike. No speedo or anything. I am basing my need for mph on my 510 Husky. I can calculate it if I know the Engine rev limit RPM and the transmission ratio. Doesn't matter much to me though. Just going to be grearing for each track based on what the bike needs.
"Work" might be in the same boat..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts