SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Got the SX 65 today, 2010 model with 75h on. Will convert it to a supermoto for my boys. I'm in the market for another bike, but will build this first.
First step will be ordering 12" black rim spoke wheels. Was thinking 2,15 x 12 with 100 front tyre and 120 rear. How will that work? Any tips are appreciated, also on what to and where to buy.

Here's a pic of the SX 50 they used this season. Will be sold, but planning on keeping them for the beginning of next season, for the boys to "warm up" on before they jump the bigger bike and clutch/gears....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got these, he even did black spokes, orange hubs and nipples and he did an 85 front hub for no extra so I could run the 260mm floater!!! Awesome guy to deal with too!! I'd advise to make an 85 front hub fit so you can use the 125-450 caliper and master cylinder and the factory 260mm floating disc, if you have any questions on how to do it ask away.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FA-BA-RU...4?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item35d2948884

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh BTW, I'm building a 50sx Senior for my son, your two look lower in the front, how did you drop the front ends down? The rake angle and seat height are potential issues (he's only 5 years old) on this build and I'm already running a 10" front wheel!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lowered the front end by inserting a shorter bushing/tube in the top of the fork. Not ideal for preload, but it worked for MX (before they start jumping...). I also lowered the saddle by carving out the foam, and fitting a new seat cover.
Are you running orignal 1,4 rims? 90/90-10 tyres?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah 1.4" rims with 3.50x10 tyres!! I might get a 3.00x10 front later on!!

So you've just let the front sag more?? This bike will be for tarmac only so less travel isn't a problem, but I don't want it to have no topout control, I've read about a small spring that you can move from to top to the bottom and it drops the forks about 2.5". Need to do more research, I don't want to fork out $3-400 on Junior fork legs, pardon the pun!!

This is what I read in another thread, but it's a bit hard to follow:

This worked good for me lowered the bike 2.5 inches. No need to cut anything just change the order of assembly. The forks will still have 3 inches of travel with factory pre load. Not recommended for big jumps or a heavier set kid.

Remove forks, Remove upper and lower hex bolt drain fluid, Then remove the fork legs from the slider tube. Now remove the pre load spacer and long spring from the fork leg ,Then the plunger should drop out it will also have a small spring on it, This is where you will put your pre load spacer So the plunger will now have on it in this order from top to bottom : Plunger, small spring, pre load spacer. Insert new plunger set up back into the fork leg drop in the long spring and then the hex bolt loosely, put the little cap thing on the end of the plunger and slide fork leg back into the fork slider tube put bottom hex bolt in to proper torque , add fork oil through the top and tighten top hex. Replace forks …

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx :) This is the stock 65cc hub and front brake. The bike will be used by my 10 year old son, so I think/hope this will do for a couple of years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bike looks spectacular mate, so does the backdrop!!!

I've thought about doing a redbull scheme on mine, being a Jack Miller fan, but then he went to Honda and I changed my mind!! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh BTW, I'm building a 50sx Senior for my son, your two look lower in the front, how did you drop the front ends down? The rake angle and seat height are potential issues (he's only 5 years old) on this build and I'm already running a 10" front wheel!!

What wheels are you running? im doing up a 2000 65sx which has the non inverted forks as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts