SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 KTM 690 SMC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 690 SMC that I picked up last week with 9k miles. Coming from a DRZ Im taking it down and going thru it all to see what it needs. I have to do the maintenance on it (fuel pump, rocker arms etc) replace any OEM parts it needs (rear plastics, decals, missing bolts) and adding some mods (fueling dongle, SAS delete) It came with an FMF header and akrapovic exhaust, but Im still exploring options there. Here are some photos of the bike when I first picked it up. As I tear it down I will add more parts to the list. If anyone have an insight, criticism, advice, anything at all, please reach out. Ive worked on and built plenty of bikes but this is my first KTM.

It will need new tires, new grips, a new mirror setup for sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
looking good mate. good luck with the build!
I got decals from these guys : SMC DEKORE

they look ace

get a tuneEcu dongle to check what maps are one it and TPS . for Akra the recomended ons are
km765eu12b0233ep
km765eu12b0233fi

you can also get a boosterplug to sort out the low rev snatchyness

·
Registered
2010 KTM 690 SMC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking good mate. good luck with the build!
I got decals from these guys : SMC DEKORE

they look ace

get a tuneEcu dongle to check what maps are one it and TPS . for Akra the recomended ons are
km765eu12b0233ep
km765eu12b0233fi

you can also get a boosterplug to sort out the low rev snatchyness
I just ordered the Tuneecu plug, I use it for my Triumph as well. The previous owner said that the Akra map is on there but I will double check it. As for the decals I think I might stick with the OEM ones depending on the price of anything aftermarket. I do need a new tail fairing since the tank leaks and has discolored the tail to yellow. I will be getting the fuel dongle (boosterplug?) from rottweiler as well to fix that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm mine also leaks and so far have replaced a few parts : the filler flange (#15) and O ring (#16) but with no luck with no luck just the cap remaining.

General concessus though is to not fill it to much

·
Registered
2010 KTM 690 SMC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm mine also leaks and so far have replaced a few parts : the filler flange (#15) and O ring (#16) but with no luck with no luck just the cap remaining.

General concessus though is to not fill it to much
I'm just going to get a metal threaded cap one that they make. I'd rather have no more issues with it once I get the new tail and graphics

·
Registered
2010 KTM 690 SMC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started stripping the bike, removing the seat, fairings, exhaust, lights, and more or less anything that is quick to come off. I have a full exhaust but the connection from the FMF header to the Akra isn’t perfect. It seems to fit much better on the stock header pipe. Im going to add the fuel dongle and cap off the O2 sensor anyways regardless of the exhaust setup I end up with.

I have started a running list of anything that I might need both OEM parts and aftermarket. Im hoping to start getting parts ordered if anywhere has some good Black Friday deals. I guess my goal for this bike would be OEM plus. Start with a good base and then some extra parts for fun, and rideability

·
Registered
2010 KTM 690 SMC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slowly getting my hands on everything and trying to clean it as well as taking inventory of anything that needs to be ordered or replaced. Cleaned off the chain drive and found that I will need a new rear sprocket so might as well do front and chain as well. I took off the front and rear suspension to clean it up as well as took off the front brakes.

I will need to order some new banjo bolt washers and pads. Im thinking of going with the EBC HH sintered, if anyone has any recommendations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts