SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2010 690 smc with 3k miles on it. It is the funnest bike I've ever owned and I've owned over 100 bikes in 35 years. Everyone talks about it being a wheelie machine and granted, it does lift the front end up coming out of every corner but when I go to really wheelie it,(sitting down, feet on pegs, past point of balance using brake) it feels a little unsettled. I've only had it 3 weeks and am just getting used to it but I was wondering if anybody else experienced the same thing. Maybe it's just longer than my XT600 but I also wheelie my 2valve Ducatis all day long so any feedback is appreciated. I lowered the forks an inch in the triples and put a Koubalink lowering link (1 5/8") in the back as I'm only 5'9" tall and was on tiptoes. Now it feels much better all the way around but I can't get that "at home" feeling when wheelying it. Just seeing if anyone else has this experience. I'll spend some more seat time and maybe it's a non-issue. Thanks, Radiobirdman SF

·
Registered
714 Posts
Practice makes perfect . . .

I recently picked up a 2010 690 smc with 3k miles on it.

It is the funnest bike I've ever owned and I've owned over 100 bikes in 35 years.

Everyone talks about it being a wheelie machine and granted,
it does lift the front end up coming out of every corner but when I go to really wheelie it,
(sitting down, feet on pegs, past point of balance using brake) it feels a little unsettled.

I've only had it 3 weeks and am just getting used to it but I was wondering if anybody else experienced the same thing.

Maybe it's just longer than my XT600 but I also wheelie my 2valve Ducatis all day long so any feedback is appreciated.

I lowered the forks an inch in the triples and put a Koubalink lowering link (1 5/8") in the back as I'm only 5'9" tall and was on tiptoes.

Now it feels much better all the way around but I can't get that "at home" feeling when wheelying it.

Just seeing if anyone else has this experience.

I'll spend some more seat time and maybe it's a non-issue.

Thanks,
Radiobirdman SF
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?201073-Little-bit-of-wheelie-practice!

Adjusted the rear wheel forward & added a couple teeth ~ then I always try to chase my wheelies to keep them stable . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See? Now that's a wheelie.

Red, Nice one bro. That is a real wheelie. I think part of it is also that I'm not used to the 17" up front in that position, although I wheelie my Multistrada fine. I'll put in some seat time and see. Thanks for the sprocket tip but I like to run the thumpers over geared rather than wind the shit out of them.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
You could always move the rear wheel up ~ and just trim a few links out of the chain.

Red,
Nice one bro.

That is a real wheelie.

I think part of it is also that
I'm not used to the 17" up front in that position,
although I wheelie my Multistrada fine.

I'll put in some seat time and see.

Thanks for the sprocket tip but I like to run the thumpers over geared rather than wind the shit out of them.
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?201073-Little-bit-of-wheelie-practice

Find a vacant street ~^~ and keep practicing . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts