SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm still learning about fuel injection as I just got this bike in the spring, a 2010 690SMC. I was out on a very twisty highway ride with some friends last weekend and I suddenly saw the speedo drop dead to zero, lay there dead, and then suddenly resurrect itself back to reality, and there was no noticeable change in engine rpms or running condition when it happened, but it appeared to be flashing dat 11, soft 33, then when I turn it off it flashes those two codes again, FI light comes on, then everything turns off.. Just wondering if anyone has any insight. I just took it out tonight and it seemed OK running wise but still flashed those when I got home.It's a long weekend and I'd like to get a ride in if possible...
Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmmm, have done a lot of digging online this morning. Thought I'd post up my results if anyone else has this happen...

I found a post about a KTM 990 with a soft 33 code, and it appears that what I'm seeing is the software version - I guess when the bike's battery is weak it will flash this... I just pulled out the battery and tested it at 12.8V, so put it on the charger till it seemed to top out at 13.12, cleaned the terminals, and when I put it back in the bike, the same SOFT 33, DAT 11 codes popped up, so I think that's what's happening as from what I'm reading, when the battery gets in need of a refresh it will display these codes. The FI light just lights up once, and the codes are displayed where the trip meter normally is; there is no flashing of the FI light. It will display these too whenever I shut the bike off, for some reason.

I'll order up a new battery next week.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmmm, have done a lot of digging online this morning. Thought I'd post up my results if anyone else has this happen...

I found a post about a KTM 990 with a soft 33 code, and it appears that what I'm seeing is the software version - I guess when the bike's battery is weak it will flash this... I just pulled out the battery and tested it at 12.8V, so put it on the charger till it seemed to top out at 13.12, cleaned the terminals, and when I put it back in the bike, the same SOFT 33, DAT 11 codes popped up, so I think that's what's happening as from what I'm reading, when the battery gets in need of a refresh it will display these codes. The FI light just lights up once, and the codes are displayed where the trip meter normally is; there is no flashing of the FI light. It will display these too whenever I shut the bike off, for some reason.

I'll order up a new battery next week.

So I stopped by the dealership today to ask their manager about the soft33 dat11, and after a chat about my speedo, which has an LCD display that is starting to display erratically, and my battery, which sits at 12.8V at rest out of the bike, and he thinks that the issue is either in a connection to, or with a short in the speedo itself. I'll open it up and take a look this weekend, as the bike runs fine when odd things are happening with the display and it seems to start just fine so likely not a battery issue. When the speedo unit gets power for the first time it will display the software code, so I'm pretty sure that there's a short in the speedo itself

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Kwota 2.0, how did you solve your problem? I get the same codes and don’t know what to do.
Well I don't have good news for you: The circuit board is starting to implode in your speedo. The bike is fine though; its speedo's circuit board is shorting and losing power and cycling on and off. The circuit board vibrates itself to death basically, shedding components and creating shorts. I think back in the day they gave you a new one for free; I was the second owner of my 690smc and it was out of warranty so I had to pay for mine.

I've got a pretty technical mind; I'm an industrial designer, stubborn, and decided to try to fix it. I opened mine up. The display pins on the board were snapping off (explaining the loss of LCD digits), and there was an unlabelled capacitor which had shook itself off its leads. Lots of soldering later and a replacement cap and it was still dead.

You'll likely need a new one. If you do get one (its expensive and something aftermarket GPS is cheaper) open it up and put some clear silicone around the display pins to reduce vibrations and increase their lifespan.

BTW You'll probably want to swap out your fuel filters in the tank if you haven't. There's a sludge that, if you don't catch early enough, that will build and cause problems downstream: you'll need a new fuel pump, injector, the bike runs poorly etc...

Have fun with the beast!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah, nice :( . I’m a mechanical engineer so for the sake of at least honoring my degree, I tried as well to open it up for understanding where was the issue. Pins looked fine and there were no macro issues around the board. So I was hoping to solve the problem with some specific trick based on someone’s past experience.

Will probably need to get a new one even tho didn’t want to spend too much money on the moto since in 10 months I’ll be leaving and will sell the beast.

About the fuel filter: how did you notice the problem on yours?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, nice :( . I’m a mechanical engineer so for the sake of at least honoring my degree, I tried as well to open it up for understanding where was the issue. Pins looked fine and there were no macro issues around the board. So I was hoping to solve the problem with some specific trick based on someone’s past experience.

Will probably need to get a new one even tho didn’t want to spend too much money on the moto since in 10 months I’ll be leaving and will sell the beast.

About the fuel filter: how did you notice the problem on yours?
I didn’t have the feel for the bike then so I couldn’t sense it, now I could, but it wasn’t quite giving 100% at WOT and felt a little just a little soft all around and not so crisp. I thought it was age but then the filters started clogging and my pump overheated one eve. If that happens it’ll die but let it cool for maybe 20 minutes and bang the pump area and you might be able to free it up to ride it home. Had to replace the pump and my injector was pretty clogged so I replaced that. After that it ran pretty crisp. That bike had a remap and Akro pipe. I replaced the pump with a CA Cycleworks kit and I cut open the old fuel filters and they were black with the sludge. it’s part of the plastic or something in the pump or fuel tank. There are different chemicals in European plastics and depending on where you live and what’s in your local fuel, somethings breaking down and creating the stuff.

I have a 2019 SMCR now and I asked the service manager at my dealership at my bikes 10K km service about swapping out the fuel filters then, he said it’s not in the manual but wait till about 20K.

Yours likely need replacing. The only tricky part is not kinking the lines when sliding it back into the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts