SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading all over that the 08's have lots of the bugs removed that the previous years carried!!!They are claiming that the service intervals have almost doubled....is that from a oil change every ride to almost 2 rides?What was the old service intervals to the new ones?What where the major problems with the 06 and 07's?Thanks...just want to second or third guess myself why I should not get one!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really...I looked around and I'm not getting anywhere...I can tell you the 5.5 is said to have 70 bhp,and owners say they are retardo!!!I wanna know what the 2008 owners have to say about the maintenance and how much miles they put on it,also major stuff if any that went wrong so far!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read the same. As I will be using the bike mostly on the road, I'm wanting to know how the bike should be riden on highways, freeways, etc. Do you need to fluctuate the rev range like on a single cylinder SMC or because it is a V-Twin, you can ride it at a constaint rev range.

I would also be interested to find out with anyone has purchased the RXV 5.5 and then placed on a conversion kit. Wouldn't mind using it as a dual purpose, dirt/road bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's a shame but I've heard nothing but horrer stories about them. They quite simply are the best motards around but they are fraught with gremlins.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That why I'm asking about the 2008's,they are said to be updated with better parts and longer maintenance period!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Aprilia motard = better on maintence for street riders.... I WISH!

Dream bike, but won't cut it for my pocket book. I don't want to send more time fixing that riding... but ohhhhhhhhh so pretty!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't want to be rude but you guys are cutting in on my post....We all know the previous bikes(06-07's)had some issues....we all know they are very powerfull and great looking....Lets here how the 2008's are doing and learn more about the updated bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I doubt that the service intervals have changed for '08. The engine service manual is the same for '06-'08. My '07 has an '08 motor in it and I plan to stick to the service intervals in the '07 manual. You have to realize that these bikes are highly specialized and weren't meant to be used as a daily rider. You want to play, you got to pay.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't want to be rude but you guys are cutting in on my post....We all know the previous bikes(06-07's)had some issues....we all know they are very powerfull and great looking....Lets here how the 2008's are doing and learn more about the updated bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks.
welcome to the world of PUBLIC forums... :lol:

give us a break heh? We like trolling and having odd conversations, it makes the workday less miserable... so just consider it you giving us emotionally helpful theraphy! :thumbup:

best wishes on your choice.

ALSO, all posts in this forum have indicated that SVX regardless of year is high maintence for street and not the best choice from commuting unless you like ending up on the side of road broken, or in jail for wheelies down the subway! They may have improved, but its NOT a street oriented / friendly commuter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your 2 cents man...And if you read up on the service intervals they state all over the web it has almost changed by double...how often do you need to change the oil...its something like every 10 hours?Why did they make these bikes street legal in the first place anyways?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well I'm sure making them street legal helped sales, I doubt nearly as many would have sold if they were a track only bike. Also, there are people out there that want a street legal race bike, and don't mind eating the cost of rebuilds and whatnot. For some the fun factor outweighs the cost. Just like how the Husky 450/510 are plateable, as well as the KTM 450/525/560's. They can be run on the street, but are not meant to be reliable commuters, thats what the DRZ and Husky 610 are for.

If you haven't yet, do some reading on AF1's Aprilia Forum.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The Aprilias are as close to a street legal supermoto race bike as you can buy from a dealer. One ride on one and you would realize this. As the SXV is based on race type technology they require a completely different service and maintenace schedule than nearly any other SuMo that you can buy. If this is an issue to you before you have ridden one or while you are considering one then an Aprilia SXV is NOT the bike for you.

For me personally I don't mind a bit more maintenance because the Aprilia, to me at least, is an incredibly satisfying motorcycle to own and ride. I've owned four different supermotos and the Aprilia trumps them all due to the performance that it has.

BulldogNZ wrote: "It's a shame but I've heard nothing but horrer stories about them. They quite simply are the best motards around but they are fraught with gremlins."

I agree that they are the best motard, but the reason that he has heard nothing but horror stories about them is due to the fact that generally people like me who have never had a problem with their SXV don't post about not having problems. It's the old internet adage that only people who have problems are the ones who post. People who are happy and don't have problems have no reason to post.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The two biggest differences between the 06/07 and 08 engines are the black sealant and case halves. The case halves were redesigned for cheaper manufacturing (there is a thread about the exact change on AF1).

Pistons, cylinders, rings, cylinder heads, valves, springs all are the same parts numbers 06 thru 08.

The reason, IMHO, that they doubled the service interval is the factory realized they were overly conservative with the ratings. Maybe for a pure race only (pro level racing) that schedule would be accurate. There are quite a few peeps around with 10K plus KM on their bikes with zero issues (maybe a burned up starter here and there).

For reference I change my oil every 300 miles and before and after every track day. Almost 1000 miles of pure punishment (commuting, highway driving, track days, attacking local parking lots, etc.). NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. Maybe my bike was built on Wednesday but it rocks.

Once you get thru any teething issues you may have these bikes are bullet proof.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a happy 07 SXV owner!!!Must be the only one in the world.....hehe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heck no, MOST of us are happy. We understand what we're getting with these bikes.

The maintenance intervals don't bother me at all. If the 2nd motor pops tomorrow, I'll gladly have it rebuilt.

Hell, my DRZ is the bike that's sitting in the garage broken at the moment. We all know how "reliable" those bikes are.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just picked up a Ducati 696 Monster for my wife last week, and the dealer we bought it from is also an Aprilia dealer. I asked about the little SM's as I didn't see any on the showroom floor, and the sales guy said that honestly they were just too much of a headache, and the few they sold last year only went to guys who were racing them. Now I'm sure there are a few guys riding them on the street, but based on the fact they didn't bring in a single '08 model wouldn't make me warm and fuzzy all over... :headshake

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There haven't been any reports about problems with the 08 models. I would personally not get an 07, the chance of sealant failure is too big imo. If you are ready to do 500mile oil changes and pistons/rings at 6000 miles/90 hours and want insane performance it's your bike. It's definately not suitable for highway use!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That doesn't seem all that bad...I thought it was worse than 500 mile oil changes...

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The Aprilias are as close to a street legal supermoto race bike as you can buy from a dealer. One ride on one and you would realize this. As the SXV is based on race type technology they require a completely different service and maintenace schedule than nearly any other SuMo that you can buy. If this is an issue to you before you have ridden one or while you are considering one then an Aprilia SXV is NOT the bike for you.

For me personally I don't mind a bit more maintenance because the Aprilia, to me at least, is an incredibly satisfying motorcycle to own and ride. I've owned four different supermotos and the Aprilia trumps them all due to the performance that it has.

BulldogNZ wrote: "It's a shame but I've heard nothing but horrer stories about them. They quite simply are the best motards around but they are fraught with gremlins."

I agree that they are the best motard, but the reason that he has heard nothing but horror stories about them is due to the fact that generally people like me who have never had a problem with their SXV don't post about not having problems. It's the old internet adage that only people who have problems are the ones who post. People who are happy and don't have problems have no reason to post.
Same here, my 07 with the 08 motor has been flawless!
get one you will not regret it!;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts