SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know anything about these bikes and if they would make a good steet bike? How reliable are they? Should I go with my original plan and find a 450EXC Thanks for your help Jeff

·
6,598 Posts
not sure why you added the rc but here goes:

technically a 450 exc should easily outlast a 560 smr because of a couple component differences but it also depends a lot on how you treat the bike. the smr has titanium valves which require more attention, the engine itself is more high strung simply because of the bigger bore plus stroke and the power it puts out.

for the streets an exc should poove to be the more convenient choice. it has e-start, all the proper lighting equipment and electrics, bigger tank, etc while not exactly lacking in the power department. it should be fast enough to keep you amused for quite some time. all you need to do to make a supermoto out of it is get a set of wheels, an oversized rotor just to up the braking power a bit and adjust the gearing. it's just a matter of ordering parts and fitting them which is pretty straight forward.

if you're looking at streeting the smr you need to start looking into what equipment your state or country requires, then start fiddling with the electrics so you can fit all the required equipment like lights, indicators,... which can be more of a hassle.

if I had to make the choice, I'd go with an RFS exc, either 450 or 525.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Listen to Skully, he knows what he's talking about. I have two friends with plated 560's (lucky SOB's :lol:). For short all out passes close to home, nothing else even comes close. But, they both have other bikes for longer rides as our normal day is 200 miles, and for when the 560's need TLC. It IS a no holds barred race bike, and requires the maintenance of one. I'd LOVE to have one for a second bike, but you can't plate one in NC anymore.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have owned a 450smr in the past, and now have a 560. Both have been great bikes (knock on wood) The 560 does have the power when I need (want) it, which is most of the time.:D

You really cant go wrong with an orange bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Listen to Skully, he knows what he's talking about. I have two friends with plated 560's (lucky SOB's :lol:). For short all out passes close to home, nothing else even comes close. But, they both have other bikes for longer rides as our normal day is 200 miles, and for when the 560's need TLC. It IS a no holds barred race bike, and requires the maintenance of one. I'd LOVE to have one for a second bike, but you can't plate one in NC anymore.
If one is titled in VA can you title it in NC ?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
If its plated from another state,then you can get it plated in NC. But,if the title says "off road only" you will never get it plated in NC. I have heard recently that tags have been issued to questionable bikes,only to be taken away after state reviews title. NC takes the title to issue a new one in owners name. The state also reviews the title only to find out bike is not able to be registered and pulls the tag.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
KTM's generally come with an "MC" title, with no distinction between road and offroad use. If it has a title like this, get the bike ready for an inspection, get the inspection before you go to DMV to get the VIN in the database, then go in to get your plate. Done this 4 times so far, with no question of what type of bike it was. One of them was a 2 stroke. If it has a non-offroad branded title, you are golden. :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
560 smr

a lot of states with the feds leaning on them are loking at the vin numbers. "3" or "C" in the the eighth position denotes a closed course only vin. regardless what the reg or title says.

I do buiild these and have all the motor pieces but the smr use with the added dirt segment seems to prefer the longer rod spaced up cylinder version of this engine with a little less agressive cam so I have not reassembled the one I took in trade from a seller here. needed major surgery BTW. I also use the lighter 03 525sx crank in this long rod setup. more torque faster revs. plus for non race street fun would put a modded exc trans in this. bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts