SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used 2007 450 about two weeks ago. Havent been able to ride it because I havent worked out the title/registration yet but I have started a few times and ridden down the street (nothing over 5 mins). It is smoking from the right side header where the spring is and also lightly from the exhaust. Any suggestions on what to check or what the cause might be?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought at first, but it is coming out the back of the exhaust... and it comes out more the more throttle I give it, so I think that is out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
has the bike been on its side at all??? oil can leak into the breather tube & then get ingested into the carb. Also check your valve clearance & do a good oil & filter change, check for any metal in the filter ( cut it open), & the magnetic drain plug

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does it go away when you ride longer or does it continue to smoke? Did you check the compression before you bought it? How about the oil level? Excessive oil in the case can cause blow-by on the piston or out the breather tube, which in turn recycles into the air box. Pull the plug and look for sooty black residue. If it's glossy = oil, if it's dry and flaky = mixture. How's it run? How is the fuel, old? Drain the carb, check for water. Let us know what you find

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bike hasnt been on its side since I've had it. And the valves are in spec. I will change the oil tonight when I get home and check for metal.

Rider- havent been able to take it out for more than 5 mins (let it warm up first) but it continues to smoke at that point. Oil level is fine, but I am going to change it tonight to be sure. I'll check the plug and get back. It runs pretty well, not a smooth idle (but being my first husky, I figured it idles like a dirtbike). I've already cleaned the carb. Thanks for the tips, ill get back asap.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm willing to bet it stops smoking soon as you get it fully warmed it up.
If it puffs smoke when its cold, normally valve guides are shot, and oil is leaking down into the combustion chmber. If its smoking all the time its blowby or too much oil. How many miles are on it?
Run a leak down test. If you do a compression test you will have to remove the cam cover and disable the auto decompressor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts