SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanting to get a slipper clutch for my sm bike and want to know the difference between the 06 clutch set up and the 07 clutch. It shows that hinson has a different clutch for both years but it seems like both bike are really similar. Just wondering if someone out there knows the difference?? Thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
07 they changed to thicker steel plates and a 8 fiber 7 steel clutch pack due to the thicker steel plates. 06 and earlier use the same fibers but thinner steel plates and have a 9 fiber 8 steel clutch pak. You can use a 03-06 clutch in a 07 but you must also use the 8 steel plates from the 03-06 and 1 extra fiber to duplicate the clutch pack of the earlier bikes.

I have a STM for a 03-06 in my 07 same deal.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I would love a slipper clutch for my WR. This is good to know.

Another thing that you guys would like to know that is clutch related. I just bought a Magura hydraulic jack clutch. Install was not easy.

To install the slave cylinder you must you the supplied bracket. And the that little round thing they give you to hook it up to the clutch arm is weird. It doesn't go in the same way the clutch cable did. That little fitting goes in from underneath the arm, and the slave cylinder arm mounts on top of the arm. So push that round fitting through the bottom, and mount it on top of the clutch arm.

It's weird. But it works. Another thing is that clutch feel is totally different. I am not going to say better or worse. Just different. There isn't a lot of play in it. So you can't really drag the clutch too much. Mine feels like a off/on switch.

Another thing unless you rig up a neutral safety switch, you can only start the bike in neutral.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just so I get this clear. I can use a 07 slipper in a 06 engine just have to get different fibers and steels??????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts