SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So during my ride today my speedo screen decided to shut off randomly on me. Along with it the headlight and taillight/brakelight stopped as well. Any one have any issues like this? Im contemplating just replacing it with a vapor but im not sure if its compatible. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You have to splice into the harness. Also have to install temp sensor inline one of the coolant lines. There's a cleaner way to mount it than on the bar, I'll take a pic later.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oldskool have you had similiar problems? I cant figure out why the lights went out too. Does the vapor show most of what the OEM unit did? blinkers, hi/lo beam, neutrail etc..?

I looked into pricing as well, the OEM unit is $250 compared to $150 for the vapor

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just put a Vapor on my 2006 SMR510. No problem & you don't have to splice wires. In fact the speedometer wire from the stock caliper mates with the vapor! You do need to cut a cooling hose to install the temp sensor. It was a no brainer! The Vapor is 10 times better then the stock unit!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
oldskool have you had similiar problems? I cant figure out why the lights went out too. Does the vapor show most of what the OEM unit did? blinkers, hi/lo beam, neutrail etc..?

I looked into pricing as well, the OEM unit is $250 compared to $150 for the vapor
No, didn't have similar problem. Vapor doesn't show any of that, but to me that's useless stuff anyhow. You get tach, temp, etc.

Sorry, I stand corrected on the splicing wires. PO had one put on my bike before I traded for it. When I cleaned up the wiring harness mess, I figured it was spliced by the look of things.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just put a Vapor on my 2006 SMR510. No problem & you don't have to splice wires. In fact the speedometer wire from the stock caliper mates with the vapor! You do need to cut a cooling hose to install the temp sensor. It was a no brainer! The Vapor is 10 times better then the stock unit!
where did you get the sensor from? I think i'll be going with the vapor if I cant fix it tomorrow.

EDIT: I checked EVERY wire today and every connection and couldnt find anything. I did take it for a ride though and noticed at some points the screen would be working but the numbers half appearing, which is making me think it may not be getting enough power. Is it possible the stator could have burnt out? I keep the battery on charge so starting wouldnt show signs

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: wow sorry, kinda forgot about this thread! I found an exposed connection in the taillight housing, one of the signal connector covers must have slid off and was making contact with another one. covering them and a little electrical tape resolved the issue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So during my ride today my speedo screen decided to shut off randomly on me. Along with it the headlight and taillight/brakelight stopped as well. Any one have any issues like this? Im contemplating just replacing it with a vapor but im not sure if its compatible. any ideas?
Dont jump right to replacing with the Vapor...I was gonna but I fixed my stock computer easily. (most people dont even open theirs to see whats wrong so they assume its shot). It takes about 10 minutes to disassemble. Pull it apart and clean it good with contact cleaner. Look for burnt spots or overlapped soldering. Check out my thread I wrote about this...I fixed a buddies computer the same way I state in my thread. For your lights check your fuses under your seat. Not sure what else as I havent run into any issues yet with my 510 other than the computer...read the thread I hope it helps...I can send pictures if needed.

Jared

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dont jump right to replacing with the Vapor...I was gonna but I fixed my stock computer easily. (most people dont even open theirs to see whats wrong so they assume its shot). It takes about 10 minutes to disassemble. Pull it apart and clean it good with contact cleaner. Look for burnt spots or overlapped soldering. Check out my thread I wrote about this...I fixed a buddies computer the same way I state in my thread. For your lights check your fuses under your seat. Not sure what else as I havent run into any issues yet with my 510 other than the computer...read the thread I hope it helps...I can send pictures if needed.

Jared
Thanks man! where is the link to your thread? It ened up not even being the computer but an open wiring connection in the taillight assembly. The first thing I did was open the unit up and clean it and there were no burn spots, thats when I went checking every wire connection.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Im newer on this site but in my profile you can find it...guess I shoulda put a link lol. I was just glad to find a simple fix for my computer. It literally took about 10 minutes to fix some shotty assembly and design flaws. I went with a husky and now I'll never go jap again...maybe KTM but no jap brands anymore...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts