SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had this posted in the wrong section for a while, and decided to move it where it belongs.

I started the teardown and modifications to my bike about three months ago. When I started I didn't really plan on going to the extent that I have gone thus far. I had some Warp 9 wheels and Conti Attack tires and a bigger brake kit, and that was as far as I really plained on going. I was cruising Ebay and found a sweet deal on some Marchesini wheels, and bought them. This is what started the insane build. The rear wheel being 5.4" and using a 180/55R16.5 tire would require some drastic changes. To cope with that "problem" I bought a 2008 Aprilia SXV swingarm off a local rider here in the Detro Metro area. I've machined material off material on the outside mating surfaces and the collars/bushings that go in the outside mounting faces of the swingarm. It now fits my bike perfectly along with some spacers I fabricated out of aluminum. These spacers go on the inside faces of the swingarm where is mounts to the frame and on both side of the engine.

Parts/Mods List:
2008 Aprilia SXV swingarm fitted to 2006 CRF450R frame
3.5"x16.5" and 5.4"x17" Marchesini wheels
Bridgestone Battlax DOT Race Tire 180/55R17
Bridgestone Battlax Race Front Slick
Scotts Performance Steering Stabilizer Kit
PWR Stage 3 Cooling Kit with built in Oil Cooler
Renthal Twin Wall Bars
Renthal Waffle Grips
Ported & Polished Cylinder Head with +2mm exhaust/intake valves
Stage 3 HOTCAMS camshaft
Cylinder bored +2mm to 468cc
Kibble White Stainless Steel Valves
JE Piston +2mm(468cc)
HOTRODS crankshaft and connecting rod
FMF Titanium MegaBomb Header & Muffler
J&D Powerbowl 2
TokyoMods Billet carb hotstart, drain plug, and mainjet screw
Boyesen Quickshot 3
Boyesen high flow water pump
Boyesen clutch cover
Athena Dual Spray Venturi Kit
Hammerhead Designs brake pedal, pro spring brake return kit, shifter, engine plugs, oil fills plugs, rear brake master cylinder lid, and seat post
K&N air filter
HPS red silicone radiator hoses
SLIDERS axle blocks front and rear
CORE MX stainless steel braided(gold) brake lines
BRAKING brand front and rear brake calipers
BRAKING brand front brake master cylinder/lever setup
ProTaper Twister throttle tube with insert to work with handguards
ProTaper Profile Pro Clutch lever with hotstart
Enduro Engineering full aluminum handguards
APE manual cam chain adjuster
Vortex sprockets 14T/41T
RK XW-Ring Chain
EBC 320mm front brake rotor
EBC rear brake rotor
SUREFLEX slipper clutch
Hinson billet clutch basket
Motion Pro throttle, hotstart, clutch cables
Honda OEM new engine cases and left side cover
Zeta front brake line clamp
LIGHTSPEED Carbon Fiber fork guards, rear disc guard, rear brake caliper guard, full glide plate, and airbox louver kit
FREE Flo red carb vent tubes 2x
GMX carb catch can
GMX engine vent catch can
Trail Tech Vapor speedo/tach/engine temp
Trail Tech flywheel
Baja Designs 90W stator rewind
Baja Designs cannibalized wiring
Polisport Halo headlight with HID bulb upgrade
All Balls/HOTRODS all new bearings EVERYWHERE
Assorted new all white plastics

Things left to do...
Send seat off for custom cover and widening
Fabricated custom length wheel spacers
Find front sprocket offset for chain clearance to the tire. If the offset is over 15mm I'll need to run a outrigger plate with a bearing in it to support the output shaft so it doesn't bend. I found a place in the UK to do it.
Cut off stock SXV brake stay, fabricated one to work with CRF brake caliper mount, and weld it to the swingarm
Full suspension rebuild in Supermoto spec to my weight
Make extension to subframe to give brake light and license plate a hard point to mount to. I didn't like how flimsy it was before.
Buy DRC Edge 2 tail light with 12 o'clock labs upgrade and mount it
Take remaining parts to powdercoater
Assemble bike

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the day I got it home

Some work being done last year converting it to street legal.

This is what it looks right now... awaiting the supermoto badassery!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was the first set of wheels and tires that I bought. I really didn't plan on going much farther than this, but yeah that's history now, lol!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FMF Ti Megabomb Header

Vortex 14T/41T sprockets and chain.

Initial tear down. The PWR stage 3 radiators/oil cooler. :bannana:

The rest of my FMF titanium exhaust, ProTaper Pro Profile Clutch Perch w/ hot start, Acerbis plastics, and EBC rear rotor.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the dou that's going to be keeping Wild Thing under control. The BRAKING RS-B1 master cylinder setup came today and my ProTaper Pro clutch perch w/ hotstart.

Motor is out... Yeah so I'm going to refresh and hop up the motor now too. Wasn't going to until end of summer, but I didn't know 100% how many hours were on the whole motor. Just said the heck with it and ripped her out and apart.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My HOTRODS bottom end kit came today. I also had to order new engine cases as the piece of casting that holds my timing chain guide in place was laying in the bottom of the engine. Just decided to order both sides and call it a day.

Some specialty tools I needed for the engine build and my stainless steel gold/black brake lines front and rear. Also, ordered a impact socket set big enough to get my steering stem nut off. Not going use a impact on it since its aluminum, just didn't have a size that big so I decided to buy the heavy duty set. Once that's off the frame, swing arm, and random parts will be dropped off at the powder coating guy.

Sent in my stator for a high output rewind from Baja Designs and it came today in the mail. I'll have 90W now paired with the Trail Tech flywheel I had instead of 70W before.

The BRAKING trifecta is complete!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JE Piston forged +2mm overbore to 468cc

Polisport Halo H4. Looked online all last night and this is the meanest looking one I could find.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the color the engine is going to be.

The frame, swingarm, and subframe will be this color.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stage 3 HOTCAM

I also
bought matching Hammerhead Designs engine plugs, oil fill bolt, rear brake pedal w/ clevis, rear brake spring kit, and shifter.

Right side new encase with Boyesen water pump and more Hammerhead goodies.

Renthal grips, Hot Rods/All Balls bearings and seals, and Freeflo red carb vent hoses came today...

APE manual cam chain tensioner, and mudflap

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked the Aprlia SXV 550 swingarm up... it's in mint condition!

Took the swingarm to a CNC shop to get some material taken off the outside mounting point to the frame. Ran out of room to take equal amounts off both sides as to not create a offset to one side or the other. Plus, there is more length to one side than the other. If I would of taken anymore off the one side I wouldnt be able to fit the seals back in it with the bearing inside. I didn't have my frame to test fit it, so I took the swingarm back with me to test fit it. Yep, no dice... About another 1/16" max needs to come off each side to fit. Luckily, the Aprilia swingarm has steel collar inserts that can stand to have a bit of material shaved off. If worse comes to worse there is a decent lip of material on the frame I can shave off too. I don't want to do that though. I would rather leave the frame in OEM spec.

You can see the collar has a bit of material that can be shaved off. This collar goes on the other side with a bit more material length left actually, but I will need to cut them both down on the ends to work with some spacers that I will have to have made to fill the void between both sides of the engines cases and the swing arm.

It fits very loosely without the bushings/collars... should have it done in the next couple days. Just have to shave some material off the face of the bushings/collars. The OEM Honda shaft works perfectly with the SXV swingarm.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Axle block/sliders, foot peg sliders, SXV linkage, and new Bridgestone Battlax tires.

The rear is a 180/55R17 and the front is a 125/600R16.5

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The swingarm is fitted to the bike with about 4 hours of work. Cut down the collars on both ends with the lathe, and made some spacers out of aluminum bar stock. It was fairly easy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ran into a bit of a problem today. I bought a SXV rear caliper mount in the hopes my BRAKING rear caliper would fit on it. NOPE... Plus, the SXV has no way to mount a disc guard or caliper guard. I'm going to a copy of the CRF rear caliper stay and weld it on my SVX swing arm.

So, I have to go get it all from the powder coater again... I'm not taking it back there until I'm sure I'm done test fitting everything! I'll be making my own wheel spacers most likely too once the Marchesinis show up, and figuring out the chain to tire/wheel clearance. Found a place that will one off me a offset sprocket to my exact needs so that'll be great once I figure out the correct offset.

SXV Top and CRF bottom

CRF rear brake caliper mount adjustment slide area piece thingy?! I don't know what to call it....:hmmm:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received confirmation that the wheels are finally on their way. Lord only knows when they'll get here. The expected arrival date is from today to June 10th. I'm hoping they'll be here towards the end of next week. I also got the HPS radiator hoses in the mail yesterday, and the cylinder and piston are back from getting bored to 468cc. My head should be here in the next couple of days. I had it completely gone through, port & polished, bigger valves, etc...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Scotts Perf. steering stabilizer kit showed up finally. One small problem though... they (Chaparral Motosports) sent me the top clamp for 7/8" bars, and I have the Twin Wall Renthal bars which are bigger. I called the guy at Scotts Perf., and he's going to send me the right ones.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wheels showed up. They need some minor road rash repair, but good otherwise. Various other parts came as well.

K&N air filter came and Warp 9 footpegs and peg sliders.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ProTaper Twister throttle tube with bearin insert, TokyoMods carb main jet screw, hot-start, and oversized drain plug, and Zeta front brake clamp

LIGHTSPEED rear brake caliper guard, and rear brake disc guard

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
This is gonna be badass, subbed. Have you had a look at chain alignment from front to rear? Wonder how far off it will be with that wide rear hub? Top notch build.:thumbup:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is gonna be badass, subbed. Have you had a look at chain alignment from front to rear? Wonder how far off it will be with that wide rear hub? Top notch build.:thumbup:
Thanks man! I don't have a rear wheel spindle/axle for the SXV swingarm yet. They are on back-order with a indefinite date for restock. I had to buy another used SXV swingarm with all the hardware off of apriliaforum.com. Once that gets here I'll be checking the offset I'll need for the front sprocket, and chain clearance to the rear tire. I think I said it earlier, but anything over 15mm offset I'll have to run a outrigger plate with a bearing on it to support the output shaft so it doesn't bend. I bought some T-6061 Aluminum as well to make the custom wheel spacers, as no one makes any for this kind of application.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I ordered the raw materials I needed for the fabrication work needed on my bike. All of it is T-6061 Aluminum. Bought a round solid chunk of it to make the wheel spacers. Needed a 1" X 4" X 12" chunk for the brake stay, and if I need to weld a piece on the frame to drill and tap holes in for the outrigger plate w/bearing to support the output shaft w/ offset sprocket. Bought some equal dimension square tubing to match the subframe at .75" with .062" wall thickness at 8' long to make the extension to the subframe. To add to the subframe extension I got a piece 12" x 24" at .063" thick to drill holes in to mount the brake light/ license plate to. I couldn't stand how flimsy it was before.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts