SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last week I purchased my first motorcycle. It's a 2006 DRZ400SM. Last night I decided I wanted to do a bunch of maintenance just so I would feel safer on the bike and to get know my bike a bit better. The maintenance I was wanting to do included: oil change, coolant change, brake fluid change, lube chain and clean the bike. Oil change went well, I even cleaned the hidden screen some people don't know about. Brake fluid ended up being completely full after taking the reservoir cap off to see. I hope I don't have to bleed the brakes now because I took the cap off, let me know if I do. Then I started to change the coolant. Instead of trying to explain the problem I am just going to explain everything I have done and you can be the judge of what I did wrong and what I need to fix.

Here is what I did:

First off, after taking the screw out of the right radiator and the cap off the left radiator I could see that changing the coolant was something that didn't need to get done. The coolant was bright green and it was very full, but I proceeded anyway just to learn how to do it for the future.

Next I drained all of the coolant.

Then I started poring the new coolant into the radiator cap. Also I would just like to mention that it felt like I was poring ALOT of coolant into the radiator but it kept taking it so I kept poring.

After I felt like it was enough a very small leak started on the bottom right of the right radiator. This was not a very crazy leak. Just a drop every now and then. Here is a picture:
http://supermotojunkie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124442&stc=1&d=1449793019

Once I saw this leak I looked all around the radiator but could not figure out were it was coming from.

Then I started the bike and let it idle for awhile. That night I noticed that it kept dripping but at this point it was too late in the night and I had to call it a day.

So then I went out to the bike today for a bit more investigation.

I am still not 100% positive where the leak it coming from but when I went out there today I noticed that my leak problem stopped.

The radiator is no longer leaking but now its burning coolant like a motherf**ker.

After taking of a few more bits I found the only place where I can see wet coolant is here:
http://supermotojunkie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124450&stc=1&d=1449793349

So today I let the bike idle for awhile and I noticed that burning coolant is just coming out of the radiator. But then after it got hot the fan came on and when it did it blew tons of burnt coolant into the air.

So this is where I am now. All I did is change the coolant and now I have some sort of leak???!!!

If I had to guess I think that I overfilled the radiators and now its just bursting out somewhere and burning?

Also just to keep in mind, throughout this whole process I have been checking the overflow tank and it has not changed. It's a little below half way and was like that before I did the coolant change.

Another thing is after I let it idle today, I took the cap off and checked it again and looked very low.

So I have no idea what to do. Like I said, my guess is I overfilled or under filled because it's slowing been getting better and better the more I let the bike idle.

I know it was a long read but what should I do? Anything would help, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
For a coolant change on the DRZ you would have to of loosened the coolant drain bolt on the rear brake side of the bike near the water pump. This drains the coolant from the motor. Some flushing with distilled water should also occur to rinse the passages.

After this is done you can take your premixed or mix your own fluid, place the water pump bolt back in and start filling. I fill this completely as possible, then open the air bleed bolt on the top of the head until coolant starts to leak from their or I can add more. Once I believe the block is free of air, I retighten the bleed screw. Now I slightly open the bleed screw at the top of the left radiator and let any trapped air out. I refill as necessary to brim the radiator. Generally I don't worry about the fluid in the overflow, but if you want a perfect job remove the can, drain and place a small amount of fluid in on replacement. Start the engine and then check you levels after running for a few minutes.

From what you described I don't think you correctly changed all the fluid on the bike.

That however has no bearing on the problem you have now, what screw was removed from the right radiator?

Could it have not sealed when replaced?

Could you have hit the radiator with a screwdriver or other object while performing the service?

Did you ever spill fluid in a location where it could get trapped and only drip when the bike is ridden?

Did you remove the black plastic rad covers during the service? Did you use a screwdriver to remove them? Could that have caused a leak?

I see no reason why either radiator should leak if things are properly done. I would just work to find the source of the leak likely a pinhole somewhere before riding the bike too much and getting into a low cool and situation. I assume all burning smells are the fluid being chucked by the fan onto the hot engine.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hello,

Last week I purchased my first motorcycle. It's a 2006 DRZ400SM. Last night I decided I wanted to do a bunch of maintenance just so I would feel safer on the bike and to get know my bike a bit better. The maintenance I was wanting to do included: oil change, coolant change, brake fluid change, lube chain and clean the bike. Oil change went well, I even cleaned the hidden screen some people don't know about. Brake fluid ended up being completely full after taking the reservoir cap off to see. I hope I don't have to bleed the brakes now because I took the cap off, let me know if I do. Then I started to change the coolant. Instead of trying to explain the problem I am just going to explain everything I have done and you can be the judge of what I did wrong and what I need to fix.

Here is what I did:

First off, after taking the screw out of the right radiator and the cap off the left radiator I could see that changing the coolant was something that didn't need to get done. The coolant was bright green and it was very full, but I proceeded anyway just to learn how to do it for the future.

Next I drained all of the coolant.

Then I started poring the new coolant into the radiator cap. Also I would just like to mention that it felt like I was poring ALOT of coolant into the radiator but it kept taking it so I kept poring.

After I felt like it was enough a very small leak started on the bottom right of the right radiator. This was not a very crazy leak. Just a drop every now and then. Here is a picture:
http://supermotojunkie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124442&stc=1&d=1449793019

Once I saw this leak I looked all around the radiator but could not figure out were it was coming from.

Then I started the bike and let it idle for awhile. That night I noticed that it kept dripping but at this point it was too late in the night and I had to call it a day.

So then I went out to the bike today for a bit more investigation.

I am still not 100% positive where the leak it coming from but when I went out there today I noticed that my leak problem stopped.

The radiator is no longer leaking but now its burning coolant like a motherf**ker.

After taking of a few more bits I found the only place where I can see wet coolant is here:
http://supermotojunkie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124450&stc=1&d=1449793349

So today I let the bike idle for awhile and I noticed that burning coolant is just coming out of the radiator. But then after it got hot the fan came on and when it did it blew tons of burnt coolant into the air.

So this is where I am now. All I did is change the coolant and now I have some sort of leak???!!!

If I had to guess I think that I overfilled the radiators and now its just bursting out somewhere and burning?

Also just to keep in mind, throughout this whole process I have been checking the overflow tank and it has not changed. It's a little below half way and was like that before I did the coolant change.

Another thing is after I let it idle today, I took the cap off and checked it again and looked very low.

So I have no idea what to do. Like I said, my guess is I overfilled or under filled because it's slowing been getting better and better the more I let the bike idle.

I know it was a long read but what should I do? Anything would help, thanks!

1 drain the coolant again completely, from the water pump
2 spray off the bike with a garden hose (don't kill it with high pressure, just spray everything off!)
3 let it dry (DRY, not 'i'll wait two minutes!)
4 throw baby powder on the radiators
5 remove the LEFT side burping plug on the radiator (at the top)
6 fill the RIGHT side radiator through the cap, just like always
7 when the level comes up to the LEFT side burp plug, install the plug
8 continue filling until it reaches the RIGHT side filler neck
9 replace radiator cap
10 more baby powder, everywhere
11 wipe off spills
12 look for leaks

13a if no leaks, go for a short ride and come back to inspect
13b if it leaks, you found your leak

DO NOT ride the bike while the radiators or low/empty, it will build considerable pressure and CAUSE leaks ;-)

do not over tighten hose clamps, they will cut into the hoses and cause leaks ;-)

do not add stopleak or other snake oil, they will kill headgaskets and cause leaks ;-)

report back what you find :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Just to add to what was already said, you cannot "over-fill" your cooling system. You fill it completely, until it is full. As was mentioned, you even must bleed the air out of it where the air will get trapped. But you cannot over-fill the system and leaks are not caused by too much fluid in the system.
Does your bike still have the stock over flow tank, connected to the radiator with the filler neck by a hose?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts