SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 05 KTM 525 SMR and I really want to register this thing in North Carolina. I was wondering if anybody has been able to do this, if so please let me know what hoops I need to jump through.
Here's what I got. I have the MSO from the original dealer. I have the Bill of Sale. I have proof of insurance. I have the odometer discloser statement for the dealer (a requirement from NC). I thinks that's all I need as far as paper work is concerned.
As far as the bike itself I have everything that NC requires lights, batt, mirror, the whole nine yards. I just want to know if it's possible to make this my "gas saver" (the term used to convince my wife I needed it).
I have spoken to a NC DMV inspector and he took a look and my vin# and MSO and told me NC will not give me a street title. He said a local plate agency might give me tags, but Raleigh would revoke my registration within 90 days, and I would be out the highway use tax. He is not just being a hard ass, he is a rider just like us, and felt really bad giving me the news.
I still think it might be worth a shot. Sweet talk the girl behind the counter at the plate agency, and then hope for the best. All you guys in NC chime in, and let me know how you did it, or if I'm just wasting my time and should get a 530 EXC and do a SMR conversion on it.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I have had a few SMR's with street plates...... they are catching on..(the DMV's)

Honestly??

There is not a single SMR that KTM has made that was "street legal" .....ever. That bike and those VIN designations are of a SX type and they headset sticker tells you the whole story if you read it. That bike is a race bike plain and simple, some got away with putting stuff on them and there are still areas they are "legal" however the term is used loosely. The DMV guy is right, they used to doable for a street plate, ....they are now sending letters to owners to take off the plate and put on Off-Road stickers only.

Good luck with that cause they will catch on eventually. Get an EXC frame VIN and see what they say. Most of the parts bolt right on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thought of that. wouldn't be too hard, but would be another $800 that I could be spending on a 530 EXC.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I ended up using a EXC frame and titling it in FL. DMV here told me they would issue me a NC tag if I wanted it but ended up just keeping it titled in FL. Originaly they wanted to do an entire inpsection and the frame had to have a DOT or EPA sticker on the frame according to the inspector guy. Pain in the balls, so I gave FL my tax dollars instead. I think an actual SMR would be difficult to do here in NC. I have a FL titled street frame for sale if you wanted the VIN and then to call them and see if they'd take it. I am breaking my SMR/SX street tard down. I just got a 08 EXC.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try Vermont

I am in Charlotte and got an offroad DRZ plated about 7 years ago. I don't know if you can still do it or not, but VT use to register and plate motorcycles even if your main residence was out of state, regardless of what your MCO said on it. I did it all via their DMV website. It cost me a total of about $40 and I have a VT plate and registration. I am still running the DRZ with the VT plate and re-register it every year for about $35. Check out their website and/or call their DMV, it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate all the responses. I hear what you all are saying, I think I'm gonna look into the Vermont thing on MON. I was also wondering if it would be worth going to the Raleigh office and doing a over the counter title and registration. That way there is no waiting and wondering if they will reject my title application. And if all else fails I will be looking for a used registerable frame. Thanks again guys, I look forward to being apart of this community.

·
Registered
2 Posts
north carolina mountain land for sale

Re:
Lastly, the cost of living is low and North Carolina mountain property is fairly cheap at the moment. It certainly is a buyer's market in this day and age and anyone that has money to invest in property would be wise to do so now as the prices are low. Find a local realtor to help you find the land of your dreams in the mountains of North Carolina. Use one that has a good track record and will deliver property that meets your needs at an affordable price. log porches
Crime is low and the people are really nicer than nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts