SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this project a while ago, but figured it would be neat to show progress up until today.

Started as a 2004 KTM 250 EXC, in pretty decent shape.

I rode the hell out of it, was a GREAT trail bike. Never really had to do much of anything to it. However, I can't leave things alone.

So first up, converted the body to 2012+

Picked up a set of body work, tank, seat, and subframe on ebay.

Had a mount machined to weld on the original frame to attach the new subframe

And welded and painted.

Made a couple simple brackets to attach the silencer

And suddenly looks much better

I hadn't ever planned on doing a supermoto, but I think I saw some pics online and was hooked.

Found a set of Behr 3.5/4.25 with a cush drive on ebay in Ireland. Not in great shape.. the spokes are rusted terribly, but they're straight and were cheap.

The 4.25 rear fit eaaaasssyy.

Spooned on some tires.. (loads of fun) and there we were.

Realized quickly that range was quite limited with the small tank, and power delivery was pretty garbage.. so snagged a lectron to help with fuel consumption and smooth out power delivery. Also grabbed a larger tank.

Then realized that the stock brakes were sketchy at best... so EBC 320 rotor and relocation bracket.

Had a bit of a lowside slide on some twisties.. tore up the stock swingarm pretty good, ate up the chain guide bracket as well.. soooo helllllo ebay.

Around this time, realized it was probably due for a top end... so did the logical thing and got a 300sx kit for the 2014. This model has better porting and power than the one that is actually supposed to go on my motor.. and wasn't difficult to adapt. New motor mounts, some different studs, change some power valve actuator parts.

Figured while I'm in here, may as well upgrade the stator.. grabbed a trail-tech one.

The 300SX kit i got came with the new model CDI, figured I'd wanna use that, to gain whatever updating, plus they have 2 different maps. This took a little more wiring. Went ahead and got the OEM parts to relocate the CDI to where it goes on the newer models, as well as installed a wiring harness off a newer model 2 stroke. Converted it to DC as well, using a trail-tech reg/rec.

And again.. while I've got it apart, the old rads were looking pretty ratty, grabbed some chinese aluminum ones. Had great luck with these on a couple other bikes.

Got everything buttoned up, and didn't really do anything else for a few months.

Few weeks ago, I decided I'd like to change it up.. new plastics and graphics.

I was much happier with the white... but then realized the whole thing was looking kinda ratty. Frame was rough, etc etc.

Decided to finally get it RIGHT for street use.. been researching wiring for a while now, finally found a harness I wanted. I know a lot of people use the Tusk kits, but figured i'd rather keep it uhh.. stock(lol) as possible. Picked up an EXC harness from a late model 4 stroke, and OEM combo switch.. Now I'll finally have signals, a key switch, hi/lo beam, and indicator lights. I really like the idea of having all original KTM wiring.

Stripped the OEM powder from the frame.

Did a little masking, and shot KTM orange at it.

Decided since I already had it apart, should get a set of the 14mm clamps to help handling.

Going to be using this powder on a bunch of stuff. It's a satin black, with a very fine silver metallic in it.

Started to put the clamps and forks back on, and realized most of my stock bolts looked awful, very rusty... soo more powder. Was tempting to order all new bolts from KTM, but the price threw me.

This is after they've seen a torque wrench, they'll hold up just fine. The new factory bolts look worse than this after having a wrench on them.

Figured I should do something with the calipers while I had them off. Needed to rebuilt the rear caliper and it's master cylinder anyways.

The rest of the covers will get done too, as well as the bolts... this is just the first one. They're all getting that same satin black.

Pegs obviously looked bad, just like everything else did.

Annnd that's current as of today. I've got a lot more stuff to powder, and some stuff to replace. Once it's more together, I'll start figuring out how to make that new harness work as well.

LOTS of stuff left to do, but I'll try and keep this updated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Worked on the swingarm last night. Not sure I'm in love with this. Did the same satin metallic black on the main body of the swingarm, and gloss on the machined bit on the sides.

Any input is welcome here

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started mounting a few more things, need to figure out how to trim the front fender to fit the headlight. I had bought a turn signal mounting bracket, but turns out it doesn't look good at all with the newer headlight. The key switch sticks out stupidly as well.

... did some more looking on the fiche, and the signals are supposed to mount to the actual headlight plastic itself, as does the key switch, with a different bracket.

Powdered the rear spring for now, but need to start on the suspension in general after this is all done. Cleaned the hell out of the rear shock, was really gross.

Oh and shoved the motor back in.

Rebuilt the rear caliper, turns out it was totally plugged up by mud and gunk, and couldn't vent, so apparently it blew out what appears to be a fluid limiting cap. Odd, but fixed it.

Went ahead and started ordering parts for the front brake. Got one of the FTE calipers off an SXV, and a bracket from purte1. From what I've read, this isn't the best setup by any means, but it's gotta be better than the stock setup. I'd like to convert the axle clamp to a radial mount at some point, will probably worry about that when I get in the forks next time, for now, the bracket is the best solution.

Got a trail tech vapor on the way too, the OEM tripmaster is just awful, and very unreliable. The stupid thing resets its memory fairly frequently. I don't have a clue how far I can go on a tank, and that makes me incredibly nervous. Got their dash kit as well, will wire that up for signal and high beam indicator lights.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I see that the swingarm is a different casting, how similar is geometry (length, shock perch location)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see that the swingarm is a different casting, how similar is geometry (length, shock perch location)?
Shock perch moved a bit back, ive installed an x-bushing to compensate for that and move the shock back to its original location. It’s a little wider too, same length.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Few more things...

This came in the mail from italy.. certainly a little larger. It's not in the best shape, lots of rock chips, but I can take care of that. Pistons and seals actually look really good. Turns out they aren't expensive at all, so I might replace them. Not sure yet.

Started rebuilding my clutch master, but quickly realized RMATV sent me the wrong parts. I have time to kill now soooo.. powder all the things. (also I powdered the bars and got some of those cool ODI lock on grips.)

Started working on my harness.. after a little poking around and soldering, seems like it'll work!! the light to the left is the high beam indicator light, so it's all functioning on DC power instead of that odd partial AC system they use. The vapor seems pretty nice too, excited about that.

And as of last night.. I decided I wasn't super happy with the bronze caliper, wanted to go flashier looking. Now these aren't quite done. Still gets a coat of clear.. but you get the idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is your normal usage of your bike? Many miles a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, its just a dumb toy.

I haven't had it in one piece long enough to do much with it honestly. When I have ridden it, its done great. I've probably put 1k miles on it so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More progress tonight.

Turn signals came in, added the KTM connectors to them and made sure it all works. LED flasher relay will be here tomorrow.

Got a new clutch cover in.. but doesn't match.

Much better..

Finished up the calipers, decided to do logos on them.

More stuff arrives tomorrow.. maybe I'll be able to assemble stuff instead of just making it pretty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a kx250 on the street, it does alright as long as I don't try to cruise at a high speed for long. Pretty dead reliable for being what it is honestly. I'm jealous of your wide ratio transmission!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gorgeous build!!! Makes me want to order new sub frame, tank and plastics for my TE300.... I would love to convert the body from 2016 to the 2018 look!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More updates...

Needed a new rear rotor.. so splurged a little and got a Braking billet mount and their disk for the rear. This thing is super nice, and matches the new bracket for the front as well.

Working on mocking up the caliper and bracket. Was trying to figure out what sort of spacer I needed to run on the caliper to make it clear the 320 rotor. Turns out that the EBC rotor I have won't work anyways. There is so very little of the pad touching the braking surface when it's spaced out to clear the buttons on the rotor. Bring it in a little so the pad will actually work, and they hit the rotor. Big :headshake here. Once I realized what was going on, I ordered a proper rotor.

Decided to go ahead and replace the crank seals while i had the oil and coolant drained. Seemed logical enough.

Went ahead and powdered the cover for the water pump while I had it off too.. and all the bolts. Hey why not?

Mounted up the rear signals. Did the best I could to manage the mounting angles on these. Got them to sit straight out horizontally, but they're always gonna stick up slightly due to the subfender shape.

Worked on the wiring a bit.. Got the trailtech dash kit, and soldered that into the factory wiring.

Super pleased with how this thing fits, good mounting location, fits nice with the headlight mask.

Starting to work on the wiring now... There is a LOT more wiring than the bike had originally :) Glad I went with the OEM stuff, it's all connecting up very nicely and looks stock.

Mocked things up a little because I was waiting for parts in the oven. Not sure if I want to run the black airbox or the white one. The white one is sorta growing on me, but IDK.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing super exciting this update

Worked on the wiring some more, think I've got everything where it needs to go.

Mounted the foot controls back up after trying to clean them up as best I could. Don't wanna buy new ones.

Most exciting bit has been the new rotor. Got a motomaster that's supposed to be for an older SMR, as it comes with the spacers needed. Wasn't sure this would fit, or would even come with the spacers... but it did. Whole lot more braking surface there, should help a ton. Also it's thicker than the EBC.

Fits PERFECTLY

I'm not a huge fan of the orange rotor, so I may address that at some point.

Replaced a couple of the rad hoses with silicone. The originals needed replaced a while back, and I just got some hose from the auto parts store to replace. That had already started to fail. The GPI silicone hoses on ebay from china were cheaper than the original molded ones, so I got those. I've had the GPI on several other bikes and had great luck with them. The kit came with a thermostat bypass Y hose, but decided not to use that, as I believe the thermostat is probably a good thing on a street bike.

Mounted the pipe finally now that I wont have to get in there for the rad hoses anymore.

Next update might be a bit, waiting on parts. The spokes on the front wheel are in ROUGH shape. The older Behr wheels used chrome plated spokes, and mine have failed. New spokes are on the way. I also decided if I was gonna re-spoke the wheels, may as well get a 5" in the rear... so that's on the way too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Messed around with the speedo sensor. Wanted it to be protected and not visible. Here is what I came up with one the purte1 bracket.

Seems to work fine here. Using the magnet mount in the rotor, but this location SHOULD work for a rotor bolt magnet as well.

Trimmed the trail-tech sensor to fit, you can lose almost 1/2" in length easily. Drilled and tapped the radial caliper bracket. Put some loctite on the screw and tightened it down. Super easy, and looks good.

Here's how it ends up.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I agree that a thermostat is a good idea on the street, my WR450 doesn't warm up if I'm at speed (I can put my hand on the radiator).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So ended up picking up new front and rear wheels. Decided if I was gonna have to sell my old rear, may as well pick up a front as well so I could sell the old ones as a complete set. Found a KTM powerparts Behr new on ebay, but in obviously poor shape.

Looks like someone tried to mount a tire using a screwdriver.

Wasn't about to leave it like this. So after a LOT of work, it's fixed. I can't stress just how much work this was to fix. Never tried doing anything like that before, so a serious learning experience. Worked out really well though, and you'd never know the rim had a mark on it previously.

Still need to lace and true.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Question, how did you manage to repair that rim ?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
A powder high build primer, it’s like a regular powder, but it has a longer cure time, is easier to sand at a partial cure, and has a higher range of acceptable thickness.

In progress pic..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my new rear wheel in today.. sure fits easy without a tire!

The match between front and rear isn't as good as I want it to be, so I'm gonna try redoing the front wheel again to match. I did a lower gloss black on there, turns out that it should be more glossy to match the factory. Oh well.. it's awful close, but just not close enough. Worst case scenario I have to take the new rear wheel apart and powder it to match. I really don't wanna do that, but we'll see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts