SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up all! First post. Just curious how bad I've screwed up purchasing this dinosaur to build a basic sumo. It's a pretty clean bike for it's age. No rust, appears to have been cleaned well after each use. Is it worth it to throw something together? I've already gotten into it for too much but, oh well, I'm here now haha. Should I just try to offload it or is it a good bike for a base?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s a good bike, easy to bore to 450 but you will have to gear up, I still have the wheels and tires shown in the pic, I think I ended up with 15t front and 42t rear to keep rpms down on the road. Topped out about 90-95mph. DO NOT change intake cam, you can do hot cams exhaust to get auto decompression for easier starting. Keep air filter clean and valves will not move. I sold mine because I have 2019 SWM and 2004 XR650R and just liked those bikes a little better

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s a good bike, easy to bore to 450 but you will have to gear up, I still have the wheels and tires shown in the pic, I think I ended up with 15t front and 42t rear to keep rpms down on the road. Topped out about 90-95mph. DO NOT change intake cam, you can do hot cams exhaust to get auto decompression for easier starting. Keep air filter clean and valves will not move. I sold mine because I have 2019 SWM and 2004 XR650R and just liked those bikes a little better
Mine was WR but much is the same on them

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Great bikes. Those steel frame bikes feel great on the track. What are you planning to do with it? Track or street? The only thing I will say is the updated forks in 04 I believe we're a little better. That's when they went from 46 to 48mm. Not a huge deal but if yours are trashed look to update.

I built up an 03 250f. Similar chassis. If you plan to track it I would upgrade the caliper and master. Either a dedicated sm unit or I think some years crf units fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on. Yea I planned on gearing up. Are those wheels for sale?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts