SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up a 2001 yz426f dirt cheap that runs extremely well but still needs a little bit of work mostly cosmetic. I've never owned or ridden a 426 so really didn't know much about them but now that I own one I absolutely love it. They definitely are a much different animal than the 450s I've had in the past. One of the issues I'm having is the bike seems to run very hot and can't sit at idol for very long or will start wanting to overheat. I've been told by several people that is just how the yz426f is. I have rebuilt the water pump and been running engine ice witch has helped but it still is getting really hot especially on a warm day in the 70s. I plan on doing a supermoto build and am hunting for all the parts I need to do the conversion. I've ordered a new set of radiators hopefully this will help keep me from overheating while sitting at stop lights and may possibly run some cooking fans too if it still runs hot. I have been spending tons of time researching how to be able to run lights to making it street legal but was really surprised how little information there was on how to do it. I was starting to consider using the tusk endure lighting kit but don't really want to have to recharge a battery every day and would not be able to provide power to run cooling fans either. I've stumbled accros a few post on here about using a wr stator flywheel with the yz CDI and figure that will be my best option to be able to get the power I need. I'm a little bit unclear about how to float the ground wire and could use some good advice. I'm still searching for parts to do all this too so if someone can tell me what parts work the best it would definitely be helpful and make it a little bit quicker to be able to get started on my build. I look forward to hearing your suggestions on what set up works the best and the useful tips t View attachment 154745 o help me with my project.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
They were great bikes. You might try richer jets on the pilot circuit. I built an 03 250f for a buddy and once done the head pipe glowed. Carb was so trashed that we replaced it and richened it up. Runs great.

On the charge side we got stator parts from a company in England for his bike. Will trsiltech or rm stator rewind yours? If you run a fan you will likely need 65watts during startup of the fan and 30watt constant. I've gone for a min of 90 watts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts