SuperMoto Junkie banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
i've found quite a few in dirt form. i want one in supermoto form, like this. the way the bike was before he tore it all apart, just 380 with wheels and brakes is PERFECT for what I want.

maybe asking for too much?

seeing how cheap 380 exc's seem to be. i have a few questions:
what oversize rotor setup do you use?
what make are the wheels for?
how bad is stock 380 gearing?
is there anything else i need to be concerned with?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've found quite a few in dirt form. i want one in supermoto form, like this. the way the bike was before he tore it all apart, just 380 with wheels and brakes is PERFECT for what I want.

maybe asking for too much?

seeing how cheap 380 exc's seem to be. i have a few questions:
what oversize rotor setup do you use?
what make are the wheels for?
how bad is stock 380 gearing?
is there anything else i need to be concerned with?
Is there anyone to answer this question??!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is there anyone to answer this question??!
Originally Posted by suzukijockey00

my technical terms in english are limited but i try to..

what oversize rotor setup do you use? whats meant with rotor? the flywheel?
what make are the wheels for? you mean the brand? please explain this question
how bad is stock 380 gearing? we raced with EXC gearing and SX gearing in an amateur class and we made it to the podium with both. however german rider jochen jasinski who competes in top class of german S2 championship with a 380 engine states, that SX gearing is too tall. on our shorter tracks it was ok, but if you find an engine with EXC gearing you will be on the safe side for sure
is there anything else i need to be concerned with? 1998 models kickstarters tend to break very easily. this has been solved since 1999 models. also the hydraulic clutch came in 1999

if you have questions let me know

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by suzukijockey00

my technical terms in english are limited but i try to..

what oversize rotor setup do you use? whats meant with rotor? the flywheel?
what make are the wheels for? you mean the brand? please explain this question
how bad is stock 380 gearing? we raced with EXC gearing and SX gearing in an amateur class and we made it to the podium with both. however german rider jochen jasinski who competes in top class of german S2 championship with a 380 engine states, that SX gearing is too tall. on our shorter tracks it was ok, but if you find an engine with EXC gearing you will be on the safe side for sure
is there anything else i need to be concerned with? 1998 models kickstarters tend to break very easily. this has been solved since 1999 models. also the hydraulic clutch came in 1999

if you have questions let me know
thank you for responding. i'll try to be more clear.

i see they are warp9 wheels and rotor. the specific model of KTM doesn't matter as they all use the same axle size right?

·
Registered
193 Posts
thank you for responding. i'll try to be more clear.

i see they are warp9 wheels and rotor. the specific model of KTM doesn't matter as they all use the same axle size right?
ah you mean the wheels ;)

ok, its (a bit) tricky:

models with the 50mm extreme forks (98 and 99 models) have 17 mm axle diameter

models with 43 mm upside down forks (2000, 2001, 2002 models) have 20 mm axle diameter

if you use a 48mm fork of a newer model (the newer the better ;) ) then its 26mm axle diameter. we use such a fork (and we also have to use other triple clamps).

backwheel: always 20 mm (each year)

if you dont need the motocross-wheels then re-spoking (I hope this word exists) is a very cheap solution. you keep the hubs and just buy shorter spokes and the outer rim ring. many bikes hops can do this work of re-spoking quite affordable

41 - 47 of 47 Posts