SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sorry to keep you all in the dark as far as progress goes. My old computer crashed and I went a few weeks without one. The frame should be bare by the end of the week. I have never taken the forks off of a bike so that is one thing I need to figure out, but it should be ready for powdercoating pretty soon. I am also trying to decide if I want to take the crankcase cover and the clutch cover off to get powdercoated as well. Does anyone want to explain if it will be a pain to take the clutch cover off since its a hydraulic clutch?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Got to work on the bike a little bit more tonight. Almost ready for powdercoating. I apologize in advance for the terrible pics, but my camera broke and I am stuck with the old one for now. . . .

Here are a few pre-motor pulling pics:

And here are a few after removing the swing arm and pulling the motor:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Im definitely going to have lots of questions in a few weeks once its powdercoated and im trying to put everything back together. . . . so id really appreciate it if thoes of you who are knowledgeable on this stuff would check back every now and then.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well The frame is finally ready for powder coating, but I cant get the rear shock bearing out of the swing arm. As soon as that is out I will take it up and get the powdercoatting done. Once that is done ill be putting in a ton of time to get it on the road. Any suggestions on the rear shock bearing would be appreciated. I got the caps on the end and the rubber seals out, but I can get the center piece out. I have been heating it up with mapp gas and then tapping it with a socket and rubber hammer, but it wont budge.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sweet project. Would you be interested at all in an 18L EXC tank? It's off a '94 and may fit your bike. I'm not far from you and could meet up with you to take a look. I'm looking to only get maybe $60 for it. It's ugly as sin right now but is in good shape and could be painted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sweet project. Would you be interested at all in an 18L EXC tank? It's off a '94 and may fit your bike. I'm not far from you and could meet up with you to take a look. I'm looking to only get maybe $60 for it. It's ugly as sin right now but is in good shape and could be painted.
Thanks. No I would have to pass. . . as it is now I already have 3 tanks for some reason:headscrat

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
What did you pay for the powder coating (if I might ask)?

I need to do the frame on my cr500 street fighter
I talked to several people who wanted 500-600 to sandblast and powder coat the frame and swingarm. However, this guy did the sandblasting and powdercoating on all parts shown for only 180. . . needless to say, I was pretty happy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here are some updated pics of the extremely slow rebuild lol.

Things I still need to get done:
-Bleed brakes and clutch
-put chain on
-install exhust
-Install air filter
-waterproof my computer module connections(open to suggestions for what to use)
-top off fluids and go for a test ride.
-find an inspection shop in MD that does not care about DOT approved lights

·
Registered
1 Posts
great plastic upgrade!

I have a 2000 380 exc, I have 2007 plastics in hand but am certain I will need a new rear sub-frame and tank. what year/model sub-frame and fuel tank did you use for this project? Did you have to get a new seat to match the mounting points on these?
Bike looks awesome!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
to waterproof your electrical connections use shoe goo. nice bike! I really want to tear down my plated cr250 and anodize the frame and swingarm but I ever seem to have the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love the new look. How is the 380 on the road? found one for a decent price and would love to run it SuMo but am not sure about its streetable manners....

21 - 40 of 47 Posts