SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, hopefully I am in the final stretch of being able to get this bike on the road for the first time.

I went back and was going to revive one of my old threads on the bike but the photo links are dead and instead of trying to fix all that, I'm going to condense them to a couple little snips to get everyone caught up and hopefully finish out here. The first thread I started 05/13 and the second was 01/15. So here we are in 08/18 and maybe, just maybe, it'll be smoking down the road soon.

I traded around for this bike quite awhile back. It had some clutch and carb issues. The carb cleaned up easily enough but the clutch has been the most frustrating part of this bike since day 1. It has never fully engaged or disengaged so the bike has never really been rideable. A lot of research and asking around finally got me some information together and I realized that the previous owner had attempted to use KX500 fibers over the factory setup- something that was pretty common due to a lack of new clutch parts being readily available and supposedly the thicker fibers gripped better. Well, after measuring and counting and double checking, I realized that I was missing a couple disks from my stack and my stack height was way off. Also, my metals were pretty toasty but without any new ones available at the time, I tried to make do. I tried a few different combinations but never could get it to work. Unfortunately with the motor swap, the clutch cover will not come off with the motor mounted up and the motor has to be yanked every time I've messed with it and the last time I yanked the motor, it stayed out. I was frustrated with trying to make my clutch work and checked eBay monthly for good used clutch parts to come up. Fast forward 3 years and I ended up joining a group on Facebook filled with big bore lovers and it relit my fire to get started on my bike again. I started a thread a couple of months ago and almost immediately a few guys pinged me with a EBC part number for a full clutch kit of these bikes. Score. I'm not sure if this clutch kit just came to market in the past couple of years or if I had somehow overlooked it for so long but either way I finally got some stuff lined up, moved the bike to my new home, and ordered a clutch kit. I soaked the fibers overnight and this morning I got around to installing the new clutch.

During all these multiple motor pulls and moving it around the shop, I ended up actually catching my main jet needle in the bike's chain (I was lazy and pulled the whole slide out to remove the carb and left it dangling) and just did some more digging to find the correct part number for the factory size and ordered it from BikeBandit just a few minutes ago. Hopefully with these little pieces, the bike should be ready to push the motor back in and fire it up for the first time in years and fingers crossed the clutch height is right, I'll be able to annoy my neighbors and take it up and down the road some.

The bike has a set of Emig Racing triple trees and front forks I robbed from a KTM 520SX I had a few years ago to replace it's no-name forks that I couldn't find any information or parts for, Warp9 wheel kit, Warp9 footpegs, Protaper bar and clutch lever, along with a Trail Tech Vapor gauge setup. The engine, to my knowledge, is pretty much as it came in 91 with the exception of a FMF Fatty pipe. Once the bike is running again, and can actually pull itself down the road, I plan to add in my Powerdynamo stator that I bought a few years ago and wiring up lights and a small battery to get it legal. Then comes the fun of figuring out how to get it registered and tagged.

And here's what everyone really wants to see- some pictures.

Here's pretty much what the bike looked like when I got it. Supposedly the last guy who owned it, owned an upholstery shop. He redid the seat on it and left it in his front windows to show off at his shop.

I pulled the motor a couple times trying to fix the clutch before I made the decision to build a supermoto. Once I got to that point, I decided to pull the whole thing down and get the frame powdercoated and start putting it back together.

Reassembly began, with the stolen front suspension from the KTM.

I also took the time to polish a few bits on the bike. I'm sure the need to be hit with some polish again after sitting for so long.

Newer model KTM headlight and sumo fender went on...

I was getting ready to unload some big bucks on some OEM Behr wheels when a full set of Warp9's popped up on CL locally for a steal with practically brand new rubber.

A little more reassembly and I fired the bike up and realized for the umpteenth time, my clutch still wasn't right. BUT I did take the time to get some good pictures of it all together.

Since those pictures, the bike got the motor pulled one more, the needle ruined, headlight stolen and broken on my '11 Z1000... and it sat.
New clutch went in today, needle is on it's way here. More updates and pictures coming soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, do you happen to know the part number for that clutch? I’ve got an 01 fx650e and I’m trying to find as much information as I can! Parts are hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts